Did I just make a mistake?

I have lots of Leopold optics in my corner up here in Western Canada where USA products are expensive.

From $365 for the budget L on up too $1800 Cnd funds for the premium units.

I've had 1 older 3X9 fixed for free two times now as its still going strong.

I did a Very III in 6.5X20 that is too much for the harvest stuff that I do here on the Eastern Slopes of the Rocky Mountains here in Alberta.

Replacement too this will be a VX 1 or 2 in 3X9 with 40mm or 50mm lens.

There about $550 ish up here depending on options added in.

They are very popular up here in Western Canada and fit the needs of Joe game Harvesters and target plinkers.

Life time warranty is all that matters as the good folks in the Calgary department are always there when we need them.

This in not likely to happen as my other L optics have been in service for 30 + years as they have stood the test of time to -68c too +45c in the deserts of Oliver BC Canada.

All have been dropped, bang-up, chipped, shaken and shook, scuffed and buffed and drown in rivers and frozen rains for months on end.

The true test comes when optics can live out side year after year and the warranty covers all of it.

My $1000 ++ optic days are long gone now, its more about frugal optics at a fair price that gives me confidence that it will take what I throw at it.

Horses and ohvs are hard on equipment, so is the truck and boats in transport.

No gun or guitar case in my life as it waist too chances of nicks and scars that give firearms and the optics character.

Just like the the owners that wear out evenly with the stuff we own.

All can contest too the beauty of well worn equipment that has proven track record and can hold its own with the best of them when it comes down to getting-er done.

From old school Don from Western Canada.

PS: Less is More as it allows us too use the little stuff we have more.

DartonJager,

What do you have against a scope with say 20X if it weighs 18 ounces and has a 42mm objective?[/QUOT

Because this scope is SFP (my personal preference for a hunting scope) and it will be used first and foremost for hunting, and IMHO 20x is not as well suited to my style of hunting as 12x or at the max 15x, I am also still in my infancy in becoming proficient so for now my goal is to become proficient to 500 to 600 yards.

If the scope is a SFP and 20X then what?

Because this scope is SFP (my personal preference for a hunting scope) and it will be used first and foremost for hunting, and IMHO 20x is not as well suited to my style of hunting as 12x or at the max 15x, I am also still in my infancy in becoming proficient so for now my goal is to become proficient to 500 to 600 yards.

If you can live with your choice/decision and personal preference, that's all it matters and have fun with it.

Cheers!

Ed

from my understanding they started to put stronger erector springs in the CDS scopes because the other ones weren't made for repeated dialing. They were made for more of a "set and forget" type of scope--I asked the Leupold custom shop about replacing my NON-CDS turret on a VX3 4.5-14x50 B&C, and they said they would have to change out the erectors as well as the turret, due to the need for stronger springs. I suspect that these changes to the CDS line came from a lot of Leupold users utilizing turrets like Kenton industries on scopes that had erectors designed for minimal dialing, and having the erectors fail. I would think that's where the complaints came from. I just got the vx3i 4.5-14x50 w/ CDS/windplex that I hope to put through its paces this year, and I hope to get a VX5HD 3-18x44 as soon as it comes out, because I like the idea of the zero lock feature.

My vx3 4.5-14x40 B&C will remain as-is, not a CDS, and is on my "point blank, point and shoot" 30-06 set up.

Warning! This thread is more than 7 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Recent Posts