Is anyone shooting a 270?

Guys I'm as guilty as anyone on this forum ,I guess the big gun co s do a great job in premoting new caliber s to all of us but other than maybe big bears a 270win or 30-06 will take just about anything in North America at reasonable distances . So I guess the moral of the story is shoot whatever you like and enjoy . Happy hunting
Guilty

Settled on 150 Partitions at 3010 fps and 150 Berger VLD's at 3020 fps using Reloder 26 for my .270 Win. I believe I have my bases covered for whatever turf I hunt deer on. I keep either a 90 grain Sierra or a 110 A max in my pocket for coyotes that need killing.

Did a 20Oyd shootout at the Range over the weekend with a shooting buddy, he had his 6.5 Creedmoor and I used my 270 Winchester ... It was his idea ... So, much to my surprise the 270 took the win.
Had to rub it in a little cuz he works at the LGS and was trying to talk me into getting a 6.5 but I got the 270 instead.
Pretty sure he's gonna step up his game to beat me next time. ...

Last edited:
I was extremely hopeful in the 180 ELDM but they just are not consistent across multiple elk, I lost an elk this year, I'm hoping I misses but I don't see how, 4 of us followed the herd the whole day and found not a drop of blood or anything but we did find a dead cow later in the season, no way to tell if it was the one I shot at but I'm suspicious, I haven't missed an elk in 10 years. I know another group of guys ran them that kill a lot of elk and they had some blow up so bad they didn't get into the vitals on hits that should have been easy, then some performed awesome. The 195 Berger is a the same way, one elk you'll blow a hole through the next it goes hay wire. I had to pack two different bullet one as a back up to these and I'm just over that.
I've seen better that 100 elk shot with the 270 cal 165 Matrix one shot kills and the few with the 170 Berger's have all been very consistent.

Heck, I can't even get repeatable performance with the 175 eld-x in my 7stw in differing temps... doesn't matter the powder... tried retumbo and rl but settled on h50bmg after she was tossing .7 to .8" groups at 200 yards... then it cooled down and it went to hell in a handbasket. I like the older Hornady stuff, but I really don't like their tipped offerings in the bigger cartridges. My boy does well with the 143 in his creed, however.

As to 270's, many of us are closet 270 shooters. I've owned three, and currently own a lh tikka that'll shoot dang well. I've only killed one critter with a 270 though, and it wasn't even my pipe. My brother was prepping to gut a deer and I had taken his rifle to safety it so I could help. I saw a deer trot in and popped it with his rifle.

So I'm moderately interested in upgrading my Savage to a 270 Sherman. I see Lilja, PacNor, and XCaliber making fast twist .277" barrels, is there anybody else I should be looking at?

Heck, I can't even get repeatable performance with the 175 eld-x in my 7stw in differing temps... doesn't matter the powder... tried retumbo and rl but settled on h50bmg after she was tossing .7 to .8" groups at 200 yards... then it cooled down and it went to hell in a handbasket. I like the older Hornady stuff, but I really don't like their tipped offerings in the bigger cartridges. My boy does well with the 143 in his creed, however.

As to 270's, many of us are closet 270 shooters. I've owned three, and currently own a lh tikka that'll shoot dang well. I've only killed one critter with a 270 though, and it wasn't even my pipe. My brother was prepping to gut a deer and I had taken his rifle to safety it so I could help. I saw a deer trot in and popped it with his rifle.

This is my Remington 700 in 270 Win. Not real exotic but the old 270 has one hell of a history for over 20 years !

I shot my first 270 back in the early 70's and have owned at least 1 until now.At one time I owned 4 but now I presently own a Winchester stainless 70 featherweight 270 and it gets the job done.
When someone asked me if I owned one of the fast wiz-bang cartridges I simply asked,what can it do that the 270 can't?
One of my favorites.
Old Rooster

I used to shoot a 270 winchester in a accumark loaded my own ammo with 130 serria bullet cut bullets out I gave it to my nephew a wife to hunt with I decided I'd stick with the big boy magnum

I have always had really good results with a 270. I'm thinking about building a 270 weatherby or 270 wsm. Anyone using these anymore? The 150 ABLR or 170 Berger Has a high BC
I first started using a 270 a dozen years ago and changed over to a 270WSM.
I'm shooting Hammer 145 grain bullets and presently fine tuning the rifle for an October Safari. The 270 WSM is an ideal cartridge capable of killing most anything in North America. I'd stay away from the 270 Weatherby unless you reload and the benefits of the 270 WSM far outweigh the Weatherby.

So I'm moderately interested in upgrading my Savage to a 270 Sherman. I see Lilja, PacNor, and XCaliber making fast twist .277" barrels, is there anybody else I should be looking at?
Mine is a Rock Creek 8 twist and I believe there's a brux or two out there. I think most of the cut rifled companies will do it on a custom basis.

Warning! This thread is more than 5 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Recent Posts