Is anyone shooting a 270?

So I had decided that my next rifle purchase was going to be a Ruger No.1 in 30-06. After reading 9 pages of comments, I am about ready to change my mind and go with a 270. Although I will probably change my mind several times between now and time of purchase. Great discussion!

Regardless of which cartridge you chose, stick with the Ruger No.1. I have it in 7mm Mauser and I love it. It has been my go to rifle for deer for years. Just a great rifle in a great cartridge.

So I had decided that my next rifle purchase was going to be a Ruger No.1 in 30-06. After reading 9 pages of comments, I am about ready to change my mind and go with a 270. Although I will probably change my mind several times between now and time of purchase. Great discussion!
Get both the 270 and 30-06 and you will all ways be happy.

I don't bother with any of the higher capacity .270's out there mainly because I won't carry a rifle with a longer than 22" tube. I also feel these days with modern powders like RL26 and 150 partitions it it fine elk medicine under 400 yards. This suits me.

Guys I'm as gilty as anyone on this forum ,I guess the big gun co s do a great job in premoting new caliber s to all of us but other than maybe big bears a 270win or 30-06 will take just about anything in North America at reasonable distances . So I guess the moral of the story is shoot whatever you like and enjoy . Happy hunting

I call my 30/06 a 270 at times,,, or a long case 308,,, once in a while I say that my 308 is a 7mm-08 or a 308 Creedmoor. Ha...

It ain't worth splitting hairs at shots from 35 feet on out to 3 or 400 meters in my books as I call aloooot of the mid range cartridges """a close to one another category..."""

Sure that this out performs this at that,,, that is better than this and so on,,, that cartridge drops at this range and that rifle has more recoil then those units...

Doesn't really matter in my world since its my job to plant the pill into the zone I need it to be...

If I load my long case 308 hot,,, it comes in shy of a reduced load 300 maggy,,, if I half charge my 308 Creedmoor it becomes a 243... Ha...

That's the nice thing I like about reloading,,, I take what I have and turn it into what I want...

Maybe tomorrow I'll turn either one of my 30 calibers into a 270 for the day. LOL...

No one needs to know nothing different,,, the only Grin on ones face should be the owner of the iron he or she holds.

I call my 30/06 a 270 at times,,, or a long case 308,,, once in a while I say that my 308 is a 7mm-08 or a 308 Creedmoor. Ha...

It ain't worth splitting hairs at shots from 35 feet on out to 3 or 400 meters in my books as I call aloooot of the mid range cartridges """a close to one another category..."""

Sure that this out performs this at that,,, that is better than this and so on,,, that cartridge drops at this range and that rifle has more recoil then those units...

Doesn't really matter in my world since its my job to plant the pill into the zone I need it to be...

If I load my long case 308 hot,,, it comes in shy of a reduced load 300 maggy,,, if I half charge my 308 Creedmoor it becomes a 243... Ha...

That's the nice thing I like about reloading,,, I take what I have and turn it into what I want...

Maybe tomorrow I'll turn either one of my 30 calibers into a 270 for the day. LOL...

No one needs to know nothing different,,, the only Grin on ones face should be the owner of the iron he or she holds.
Jack O'Connor said with a well placed shot you wouldn't really notice any difference with any thing from a 270 to a 300 mag.

Just picked up a Savage .270 Win. for a project Rifle , I plan on using it to shoot with my buddies and their 6.5 Creed's.
Here's some out of the box groups.
130gr PSP loads.
IMG_20190402_110201539_BURST001.jpg

Last edited:
It's lead free for any game animal. So yeah if you shoot a grey squirrel with a 22 LR it better have lead free ammo or you're busted. The stores haven't really stocked the shelves with all copper yet in all calibers and we can't mail order ammo in California either so it's a real pain in the ***!!! Time to move, but I've got so many ---- preference points I have to sit tight for a few more years ha ha

Aren't the Hornady GMX bullets lead free

How would a game warden every know the mule deer buck was killed with a Partition instead of a tsx?

Warning! This thread is more than 5 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.