Is anyone shooting a 270?

I found that probably 25% of the Bergers have some form of obstruction somewhere inside the hollow point or are slightly pinched off, but only a few that I think might actually cause expansion issues, but definitely enough for me to drill out every tip used for hunting. I don't know if it's a polishing media, a piece of copper/lead, or what, but I know I don't want it in there. Maybe this is what is making the difference, I don't know. I'm certain you have since you said that you just put it together, but make sure you 6mm has enough twist to stabilize the bullet your shooting. That point is more for other readers going through this post that may be new to all this stuff. I don't have any experience with the 6mm Berger pills, but hopefully they work well for you.
Thanks I added it to the wifey's shopping cart, the 6mm is a 7 twist throated out a little for 115's, worked up a load a few weeks ago with RL26 and getting 3150 FPS. More testing to come when the weather improves..
I didn't not drill them out, just check them to make sure they are open and if not sort them, I will only check a few and those go in my stock pack for hunting.

The reason there can be some goobers is the bullet is ejected from the pointing die by a small pin that goes into the meplat and pushes the bullet.
I see you've been shooting elk with the 115 6mm's, what sort of ranges and how was the terminal performance?

Most all have been the 105 another another guy I built a rifle for has been using the 115 and dtac and doing very well with them. One of the biggest bulls I've seen killed was a 105 through both shoulders and spine, found what was left of the bullet under the hide on the of side, he hit the ground so had it broke his jaw, just over 100 yards in the timber.

Here in California we are lead-free now so I will be using the 156 Hammer hunters out of my 270 wsm for B-zone northern Blacktails and Mule deer. For the smaller A-zone blacktails I'm just going to use my 257 Roberts or 25-06 with 100 grain E-tips. Probably going to be a little tracking involved this year but that's why I have my Jack Russell terrier.

Here in California we are lead-free now so I will be using the 156 Hammer hunters out of my 270 wsm for B-zone northern Blacktails and Mule deer. For the smaller A-zone blacktails I'm just going to use my 257 Roberts or 25-06 with 100 grain E-tips. Probably going to be a little tracking involved this year but that's why I have my Jack Russell terrier.

Not to derail the thread, but what ammo is on the shelves at your gunshops, Walmart, bass pro, etc? Is it only super expensive stuff? How do you shoot .22LR?

Not to derail the thread, but what ammo is on the shelves at your gunshops, Walmart, bass pro, etc? Is it only super expensive stuff? How do you shoot .22LR?
It's lead free for any game animal. So yeah if you shoot a grey squirrel with a 22 LR it better have lead free ammo or you're busted. The stores haven't really stocked the shelves with all copper yet in all calibers and we can't mail order ammo in California either so it's a real pain in the ***!!! Time to move, but I've got so many **** preference points I have to sit tight for a few more years ha ha

It's lead free for any game animal. So yeah if you shoot a grey squirrel with a 22 LR it better have lead free ammo or you're busted. The stores haven't really stocked the shelves with all copper yet in all calibers and we can't mail order ammo in California either so it's a real pain in the ***!!! Time to move, but I've got so many ---- preference points I have to sit tight for a few more years ha ha
I have family in northern California, crappy situation. No fun.

Most all have been the 105 another another guy I built a rifle for has been using the 115 and dtac and doing very well with them. One of the biggest bulls I've seen killed was a 105 through both shoulders and spine, found what was left of the bullet under the hide on the of side, he hit the ground so had it broke his jaw, just over 100 yards in the timber.

Wouldn't be my first choice but love seeing the 6's and 6.5's preforming! Hoping the 105 shoots in my 6 creed which is on its way shortly

I am as we speak building a .270 WSM. I'm using a short action and a 22 inch tube. I know everyone is going to tell me it needs to be a long action and atleast a 24 inch tube. Sorry guys I'm doing my own thing. Right or wrong...

I started hunting many years ago with the 270win
I killed a lot of deer and a couple of elk with it
I started my daughter hunting big game with the 270win and she has killed several bears with it
I also have a 270WSM and has killed deer and elk with it as well
I love both rounds and hand load exclusively for both of them. These are very good calibers and when handloaded with premium rounds they are very capable of taking big game.
I don't think you could go wrong with either it if I were building one I'd go with the WSM for the shorter action. I'd also put a flutes barrel in it if you are planning carrying it any distance while hunting
It might not seem like a lot but the weight savings on the short action allows for a little longer barrel than normal on many commercial rifles increasing velocity etc.
I love the 150gr LR Accubond and have great consistent accuracy in several guns and across several calibers with this bullet.
Good luck in your selection and project!
Brad

Warning! This thread is more than 5 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.