Is 50 MOA enough?

DONTSTROKEME

I am probably going to put another Nikon Bukmaster 6-18SF 40mm Objective scope on my 270WSM with a 24" tube. My question is this if I plan on shooting upto the rare extreme of 1000yards will that be enough dial range to cover it or should I get a 20MOA base? I have no care as they both cost the same. I would assume naturally with a lesser quality scope I would want to keepit in the center of it's range more than ever, but I am just not sure how the calculations to get there are. I understand it as: I have 50 total in the scope, centered at about 25 being the ideal 100 yard zero. Then if I add a 20 MOA base then I would be able to dial it for bullet drop a total of 45 MOA????

Also how do I decied if there is need for more range in the drop side of the dialing?

Any help would be appreciated.

Joe OAkes

Unless you have a custom action it is possible that the top of your receiver will not be level and that the 20 MOA base will not be useable or else will not get the job done. Even if the receiver is square it is possible the barrel will shoot low with certain bullets.

My advice would be to get a standard base and use Burris signature rings to build in the cant you need. You might have to remount the scope a few times to get just the right combinations of inserts in but at least you have plenty of combinations to fiddle with.

Not all sets of rings come with all inserts.

Isn't that putting a tweak on the scope?

Can I have the reciever trued? The main reason I wanted to do this was to use the picatanny rail system and some TPS or sinclare or farrell rings. Or is all of that just a waste of quality?

Joe Oakes

The inserts prevent a tweak to the scope.

If you don't like that solution, there is the hard way to do it. Many people like doing things the hardest possible way. Go and buy your hundred dollar rail and your hundred dollar rings and mount your scope. Zero the rifle and then determine whether you have enough elevation left on the dial. If not then figure out how much more you need. Take the rail off the rifle. Climb the fence over into your neighbor's back yard where you have been chucking your beer cans and get one and take it to the kitchen. Get the kitichen shears while your wife is not looking and cut out about 10 shims that will fit between the front or rear screws to jack up the front or rear of the base. These shims will have an "H" shape.

Come up on this forum and run "search" the word will be "shim" and the author will be "ABINOK" or "Chris Matthews". The thread you find will tell you the thickness of shims needed to gain 1 MOA of elevation.

Come back up on this thread and ask whether to put the shims under the front or rear of the base. When I tell you which end, /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/confused.gif you should put them under the other end being as I am always wrong about that. /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/blush.gif

Put the shims in and tighten every thing down and shoot the rifle to confirm that it is now correctly canted. If for some obscure reason you got it right the first time then take everything off and get some "glass" and put it all back together again except this time you will glass bed the rail so it is stable. After you get it glassed go outside and grab a brick and whack your self upside the head several time for forgetting to put on the release agent. /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/grin.gif

Simple alternative - get a Leupold V3 Longrange

Well thank you very much, I hope I didn't ruffle your feathers by asking why I can't use the canted base.

I can still use the good base just in zero cant?

And the burris ZEE signature rings are what I want?

Joe Oakes

No, you didn't ruffle my feathers. I have just screwed up a gun nearly every way possible and know lots of things that are not wise to try to do. All of that stuff is by my personal experience.

Take a look at the Burris website and the rings. They do what they are advertised to do.

One note is that Burris coats them and the screws with a lot of oil. You need to degrease everything including the inside threads or else you will have things start to work loose at very inconvenient times (one more thing I have done wrong in my life).

I should be receiveing a set from Graf tomorrow being as I am doing exactly what I advised you to do. A zero cant base and Burris rings with inserts.

BB,

[ QUOTE ]
After you get it glassed go outside and grab a brick and whack your self upside the head several time for forgetting to put on the release agent.

[/ QUOTE ]

I can't beleive you're doing this to me, I got me a 20 MOA base for my 300 RUM Sendero, on top of that I used the Burris Signature Rings just because I needed LOTS of adjustment. I glassed the tappered base to insure perfect contact all the way, but I'm not 100% sure if I used release agent!!!! LOL LOL LOL LOL /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/laugh.gif /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/laugh.gif /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/laugh.gif /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/laugh.gif

I Think I did!!!! LOL .... I hope I did! /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/smile.gif /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/laugh.gif /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/laugh.gif I never thought I'd be laughing so much over this.... I guess I hate... /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/laugh.gif /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/laugh.gif the Idea of whacking the side of my head with a brick!!!!!

BB, you do this when I was begining to like you!!!

DONTSTROKEME,

You'll be happy with the Burris Signature rings. I have two 300 Remingtons Ultra Mags that are using them and I'm very happy with them. Two years ago I went to Colorado Elk hunting; it was a rough trip and shook the garbage out of the rifles in the truck, when we got home, Nevada, my rifle was still dead on target. Just don't forget to buy the extra inserts for about $10.00 bucks more and as BB said, get the oil out of everything including the inserts.
Don't hesitate to ask if you have more questions, the worst that can happen BB will give me a heart attack!
Good Luck!!!

On my last gun I bought a 10moa farrell base and they even made me one in silver so i could have a little extra room without having to go to 20. My normal shooting is less than 250 but I got a new barrel and wanted to be able to play a little bit.

listen to bob man he knows by experience !!!!! the only one I know that is still trying for match grade accuracy out of a factory ruger 10/22 barrel.

I am impressed with my Farrell. I put a 20 moa on my 308 and used the non concentric burris inserts. my 4.5-14 buckmaster was bottomed out at about 450. The elev adj was centered at 1k. That was a little much but both base and rings are great. I've got 3 sets of zee rings now. 1 on a 700 with some funky problems. I've got the +/-20 insert in the back for elev correction and the +/- 10 in the front for windage. The rings work just like burris says.

Warning! This thread is more than 17 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.