Is 40 moa on a scope enough?

elmerdeer

I have a meopta meostar R1 4x16x44 tactical scope and it has 40moa of ajustment on it, will this be enough to shoot at 1000 yards on my 7mm Dakota with the 180Vld bergers at 3100fps with out any base with ajustment on it?
Thanks
Elmer

I'm going to guess not.

You'll need at least 20 MOA to get to 1K

a 10 degree base would be ideal.

20 degrees would probably be to much. Not sure where your zero would end up.

Get in your truck and drive to the nearest National Forest or WMA and get out and walk 50 feet. Pick up any one of the five or six beer cans you will see and take it home. Leave the other beer cans where they lay so that the hunters who like to brag about how they protect the environment will have evidence of their sincerity.

When you get home wait until your wife is occupied elsewhere and neak into the kithchen and get her shears and go out to the garage. Cut small "H" shaped pieces out of the beer can to go under the scope base to shim it up either on the front or the rear. Usually the front, however being as I oftentimes get this part wrong don't take my word for it. Take a hard something or other and mash the shims very flat so that there is no bumpy edges and the base will tighten down well.

On a long action Rem 700, a shim thickness of 0.001 will move the bullet strike about 1.0 MOA (more or less). So to get 10 MOA of shim you need about 0.010 inches of beer can "H"s. For a short action you get more MOA for the shim. Place the shims under the front of the base so that the screws go between the legs of the " H" and the "H" cannot fall out. Sneak back into the kitchen and replace the shears.

If you try to shim too much, the base screws will be too short and you will come to grief.

Go out and zero the rifle and see how much everything changed.

If all of this does not seem very entertaining then just order you a set of Burris Signature rings with inserts and have at it.

Get in your truck and drive to the nearest National Forest or WMA and get out and walk 50 feet. Pick up any one of the five or six beer cans you will see and take it home. Leave the other beer cans where they lay so that the hunters who like to brag about how they protect the environment will have evidence of their sincerity.

When you get home wait until your wife is occupied elsewhere and neak into the kithchen and get her shears and go out to the garage. Cut small "H" shaped pieces out of the beer can to go under the scope base to shim it up either on the front or the rear. Usually the front, however being as I oftentimes get this part wrong don't take my word for it. Take a hard something or other and mash the shims very flat so that there is no bumpy edges and the base will tighten down well.

On a long action Rem 700, a shim thickness of 0.001 will move the bullet strike about 1.0 MOA (more or less). So to get 10 MOA of shim you need about 0.010 inches of beer can "H"s. For a short action you get more MOA for the shim. Place the shims under the front of the base so that the screws go between the legs of the " H" and the "H" cannot fall out. Sneak back into the kitchen and replace the shears.

If you try to shim too much, the base screws will be too short and you will come to grief.

Go out and zero the rifle and see how much everything changed.

If all of this does not seem very entertaining then just order you a set of Burris Signature rings with inserts and have at it.

I KNEW I liked you, but now I'm positive!! You are a man after my own heart!!

GREAT post!!

Bill

I have a meopta meostar R1 4x16x44 tactical scope and it has 40moa of ajustment on it, will this be enough to shoot at 1000 yards on my 7mm Dakota with the 180Vld bergers at 3100fps with out any base with ajustment on it?
Thanks
Elmer

Am I understanding you correctly, that the scope has a TOTAL of only 40 moa, or is it 40 above and 40 below neutral for a total of 80 moa?
Typically with the lower power scopes have far more than 40 moa built into them, I have no experience with the meopta scopes , hence my asking.
As magman points out probably 20 moa to reach 1000, so if the scope has a total of only 40 moa in it a rail with 10 or 20 moa built into it would be required. If there is that little moa built into the scope a plus 20 will make zeroing at 100 difficult.

i have shot my 7mmwsm with 180s and i used 21moa to reach 1000 yards. i am also and 2000ft and it was around 30 deg. hope this helps.you will want to change your base or shim it. if you shim it you should bedd it so it is stress free.

I have a nightforce 12-42x56 with 40 moa, a win. mod.70 stealth in 308 shooting 165's @2850, it sits in burris rings with the inserts with a -10 in the front and a +10 in the back and I can reach 1k. According to my chart I can reach 1050. I have manage kills on praire dogs to 1300 with the 2 dot recticle.

According to my program if you zero your gun, by the beer can method, with most of the 40 moa above @ 100yds you should be able to get to 1400yds.

Am I understanding you correctly, that the scope has a TOTAL of only 40 moa, or is it 40 above and 40 below neutral for a total of 80 moa?
Typically with the lower power scopes have far more than 40 moa built into them, I have no experience with the meopta scopes , hence my asking.
As magman points out probably 20 moa to reach 1000, so if the scope has a total of only 40 moa in it a rail with 10 or 20 moa built into it would be required. If there is that little moa built into the scope a plus 20 will make zeroing at 100 difficult.
I just checked the scope and it has a total of 193 1/4inch clicks, so from half way it's 96 clicks if I zero in the center of the scope for 100yards.
Elmer

I just took your info to JBM calculations.com and if you are sighted in at 100 than it will take 21.5 MOA to hit at 1000. You don't want to max your scope out with adjustment because it is hard on the turret mechanism to constistently take it to the max. Either shim it or purchase a set of Burris shimable rings. mark

I just checked the scope and it has a total of 193 1/4inch clicks, so from half way it's 96 clicks if I zero in the center of the scope for 100yards.
Elmer

That works out to 48.25 moa of travel. As others have stated , you don't want to be at the end of your travel, so i would suggest either a plus moa rail or if on a budget the Burris rings with the offset bushings to get an added 10 moa, you should be more than good to go then.

Warning! This thread is more than 17 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.