Is 450 yards Long Range? - Bear Down!

smokey3, Between my wife and I, we have 4 Wyoming bears....and only one is black. We have a brown, a two-tone blond, a cinnamon, and our most recent....my wife's Bear is a black! It's pretty neat to see the various color phases we have here in the west! memtb
You are lucky indeed!

I shot this bear at 450 yards this week and when I only have to dial 5.5 MOA on the scope, it feels like an awfully close shot. I'm not sure if it is confidence in the gun, my shooting, or the fact that I practice at 800 to 1,000 yards, but 450 feels like a chip shot right now. The conditions were perfect as well, wind under 3 mph, calm animal, I'm Prone, etc. I love living in Idaho.

I have friends who do not shoot long range and 450 yards would be a hold over the animal and hope for the best kinda shot. I can't do that and won't risk it on animals. I had a great day out seeing tons of elk and deer, grouse. The bear was on the hillside just above the center of my scope. The 180 gr. berger went through the shoulder and destroyed the heart and out the other side, it only went 30 yards. Shooting Kelbly Custom, 7 mm WSM 180 Berger, norma brass. March scope, I know, I should have taken off the scope cover for the picture, it sure protects my March.

As I drove home from the hunt, I wondered what "regular" people do on their days off.

View attachment 131860 View attachment 131861
Beautiful color on your bear, I'm so jealous! I don't think that is overly far at all as long as you have the skill, the rifle, and the reloading dialed in. Last fall I went to Montana and shot 4 deer and one antelope. All but one were shot with my 257 Weatherby around 400 yards. I was feeling so confident the last one I shot in the eye so as not to ruin any meat. The others were all heart shots. The fifth deer, I shot at 971 yards with my 338 Lapua AI right in the heart. Every animal was an instant one shot kill.

I shot this bear at 450 yards this week and when I only have to dial 5.5 MOA on the scope, it feels like an awfully close shot. I'm not sure if it is confidence in the gun, my shooting, or the fact that I practice at 800 to 1,000 yards, but 450 feels like a chip shot right now. The conditions were perfect as well, wind under 3 mph, calm animal, I'm Prone, etc. I love living in Idaho.

I have friends who do not shoot long range and 450 yards would be a hold over the animal and hope for the best kinda shot. I can't do that and won't risk it on animals. I had a great day out seeing tons of elk and deer, grouse. The bear was on the hillside just above the center of my scope. The 180 gr. berger went through the shoulder and destroyed the heart and out the other side, it only went 30 yards. Shooting Kelbly Custom, 7 mm WSM 180 Berger, norma brass. March scope, I know, I should have taken off the scope cover for the picture, it sure protects my March.

As I drove home from the hunt, I wondered what "regular" people do on their days off.

Awesome Bear ! I wouldn't worry about it ! Longest shot I've made on an animal was a bull elk at 543 yds.. a few deer in the 500's and a lot int the 400's and 300's. I know what you mean. The 300 to 400's seem to easy when your rig is dialed in but you take satisfaction in that and have the confidence to take longer when it comes up. Dam nice bear. like that color phase.

And I'm liking your muley buck in your avatar. Dammit !

What Calibre ? What Load ? Which March? (Was considering but went with Nightforce Competition for FClass instead)

I consider 450 "middling" past 500-700 is entering long range - where one must take the wind, mirage and other variables into consideration so one gives ethical treatment to the critter - IMO - 1 Shot 1 Kill (w/a follow-up Just to B sure) !,,

While I love my 260AI for FClass - if it's a long stroll off - & it Breathes - it deserves my 340, so there is lotsa energy left in case placement leaves a bit to be desired

What Calibre ? What Load ? Which March? (Was considering but went with Nightforce Competition for FClass instead)

I consider 450 "middling" past 500-700 is entering long range - where one must take the wind, mirage and other variables into consideration so one gives ethical treatment to the critter - IMO - 1 Shot 1 Kill (w/a follow-up Just to B sure) !,,

While I love my 260AI for FClass - if it's a long stroll off - & it Breathes - it deserves my 340, so there is lotsa energy left in case placement leaves a bit to be desired
Im shooting 7 mm wsm, 180 berger hunter with 64 gr. 4831 ext sc, fed match primer 210, out of Fire formed 300 wsm norma brass, moving along at 2925. March scope is D25 v42 m Hunter. I looked at night force but wanted a lighter scope and smaller profile to fit in my pack.

Warning! This thread is more than 5 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.