Is 100 yards long range?

bluedog69

I spent 40 years with pin sights on my bow. My son bought a used HHA single pin sight.(now all three of us have them) They are a lot of fun!!!! I know this is mainly a rifle long range forum but I am 53 years old and have just discovered "dialing" in a bow is fun too!!!
The first part of each video shows them "dialing" and shooting at 100 yards. You can have mirage at 100(see second video) pretty cool video.
My boys totally shot and made 100% of these videos.

Why is launching projectiles a loooong ways so addicting???(and can get expensive🤣)

Enjoy!

Great video! I love seeing kids in the outdoors instead of on their phones or video games!!

Archery MOA to me is 1 inch per 10 yards, 6 inches at 60 yards to me is archery MOA. Shoot better than MOA and you are doing way better than most, like a rifle it has to be on demand and 3 shots minimum not your one time best group ever. A good bow dialed in well with good arrows is around 1/4 archery minute capable and maybe better so very similar to a good rifle in my mind. I used to shoot a LOT of long range archery, with a single pin mover sight. We routinely 'practiced' at 130 yards if the winds were reasonable, I didn't shoot much under 60 at all unless hunting or 3D tournaments. When you got a 50-60 yard shot in a 3D tournament it was a chip shot where most others were clenched up because it was 'so far'. Two big things for me kept me shooting long, 1st and probably biggest for me were form issues are magnified at longer distances, a little torque on the bow at 30 might drop a point or 2, the same torque on the bow at 80 would definitely go well wide and could miss the target entirely. Shooting a blank target at extremely close range is the only other way that form could be refined for me and that just sucks so I never wanted to do it. The second was anticipation, target panic maybe some people call it, is not an option. You HAVE to trust the float in your pin and release the shot without disturbing the bow at all, everything with a bow happens so slowly that trying to time and trap a shot are a really poor choice.

I am back into archery the last few months, and have a mover type sight in hand to go on the bow after hunting season. I don't have the area to shoot long close enough to use very often at all so I am pinning a whiffle ball type practice golf ball to my target and shooting it at 30 yards. It contrasts with the target really well and you find out really fast when you make a form error. It's also super cool to see arrows hit inside the pin when you do it right. I am shooting in my back yard, and it's even more fun to shoot under the bush between the grill and the planter, if you hunt seated shoot sitting down, etc. If you can't go long try going small!!

Great video! I love seeing kids in the outdoors instead of on their phones or video games!!

Archery MOA to me is 1 inch per 10 yards, 6 inches at 60 yards to me is archery MOA. Shoot better than MOA and you are doing way better than most, like a rifle it has to be on demand and 3 shots minimum not your one time best group ever. A good bow dialed in well with good arrows is around 1/4 archery minute capable and maybe better so very similar to a good rifle in my mind. I used to shoot a LOT of long range archery, with a single pin mover sight. We routinely 'practiced' at 130 yards if the winds were reasonable, I didn't shoot much under 60 at all unless hunting or 3D tournaments. When you got a 50-60 yard shot in a 3D tournament it was a chip shot where most others were clenched up because it was 'so far'. Two big things for me kept me shooting long, 1st and probably biggest for me were form issues are magnified at longer distances, a little torque on the bow at 30 might drop a point or 2, the same torque on the bow at 80 would definitely go well wide and could miss the target entirely. Shooting a blank target at extremely close range is the only other way that form could be refined for me and that just sucks so I never wanted to do it. The second was anticipation, target panic maybe some people call it, is not an option. You HAVE to trust the float in your pin and release the shot without disturbing the bow at all, everything with a bow happens so slowly that trying to time and trap a shot are a really poor choice.

I am back into archery the last few months, and have a mover type sight in hand to go on the bow after hunting season. I don't have the area to shoot long close enough to use very often at all so I am pinning a whiffle ball type practice golf ball to my target and shooting it at 30 yards. It contrasts with the target really well and you find out really fast when you make a form error. It's also super cool to see arrows hit inside the pin when you do it right. I am shooting in my back yard, and it's even more fun to shoot under the bush between the grill and the planter, if you hunt seated shoot sitting down, etc. If you can't go long try going small!!
Yes they are on their way to becoming really good archers.(and they both can shoot 1/2 on down to 1/4 MOA out to 400 with rifle)
June was their first 3D shoot. One month later in July Tackett pulled this off....
1666891537702.png

In August I took them to a R100 3D shoot... 100 targets. They both shot from the red stakes(men's stakes). Tackett shot a 1028....498 on Safari range and 530 on the North American range. Wyatt shot 879 total. Tackett, 13, beat about 95% of the men scores and Wyatt, 11, was about the 50th percentile in the men's category too. If memory serves me correctly 67 yards was the longest shot. One shoot we were at Tackett won the 90 yard elk shoot. Life is good!!!

I believe we will be hearing those names regularly in the archery world before long.
I am leaving it all up to them. I encourage and teach but I don't push them at all. As long as they think it is fun and want to do it we will. Both are getting very good at letting the pin float and pull pull pull until the shot surprises them.

Have you ever tried bareshafts only? Shoot three bareshafts for a month. Start about 10 yards. Tune bow to them. Work back to 20 then 30 retuning bow until it is perfect. My oldest boy in the video, Tackett, can keep em tight at 40. Talk about learning form and tuning. Bareshafts will teach you a lot.

Have you ever tried bareshafts only? Shoot three bareshafts for a month. Start about 10 yards. Tune bow to them. Work back to 20 then 30 retuning bow until it is perfect. My oldest boy in the video, Tackett, can keep em tight at 40. Talk about learning form and tuning. Bareshafts will teach you a lot.
Absolutely!
When you are chasing perfection in your equipment, you must bare shaft tune.

I started with fixed 5 pin back in the 80's, then as soon the slider type sights came out switched to a single pin slider. Now I'm using a 3 pin CBE Engage Hybrid and it's like the goldilocks baby bear.. just right. I can set the pins to 25/35/45 and then slide out to 100 if needed.

I do practice a lot out to 100 because I live out here in the west and hunt/live in WY/CO (soon to be living in WY) and the wind is pretty bad most years. Have to practice a lot in varying wind conditions.

Just from that vid still in the OP, looks like draw length might be a bit long for the boy the way he's cranking his neck back. Sounds like he's shooting well like that so.. yeah whatever works.

I used to always use longer draw length because everyone else my height was shooting a 29'' (or more) at 5'10'' height. If I measure correctly my wingspan it comes out to about 28.5'' but now I'm on a Hoyt Rx4 Turbo with the #2 cam which maxes at 28'' so that what I started using and 28'' is **** near perfect. The guys at the range laugh and say I must have t-rex arms but they're normal span for my height. Everyone wants to shoot a longer DL than they should be for the bit of speed increase imo. Michael Waddell is my height and has a 28'' DL so.. can't argue with his skills.

Last edited:
Those boys can shoot!!

Yep, when I am done setting up a bow the bareshafts, field points and fixed broadheads all hit together. My bow set up will currently stack all three at 30 and I consider that done for hunting but I have shot the bare out to 40, talk about humbling if you're not having a good shooting day!!! Bareshaft will NOT go where you want it at all if your form isn't really solid and really repeatable. I have shot my broadheads and field points out to 60 after and they work well enough I had to refletch at least one arrow each time I have done it LOL. Something about watching an arrow sail away tracking and falling and tracking and falling right into the exact spot it is supposed to go absolutely mesmerizes me, I can't get enough of it, ever.

The thing with bareshaft is bow tuning, proper spine, and nock tune. Once you get a bullet hole through paper (paper tune) bareshaft or 'arrow tune' as I call it, is proper spine for your draw length/arrow length and nock tune.

You get those right.. you'll be bullet holing a bare shaft just like a fletched arrow.

Then just go out and kill stuff out to the yardage you're comfortable with taking game :)

yes sir. but once you tune you don't need to worry about that hole.. it's done. it's 90% bow tuning and 10% arrow tuning.

IF you change your arrow like a lot of us do you have to start over, not with the bow but with the new arrow. Even if you change the nock/type weight.

Also your sight ranges.. it's interesting and FUN lol

Its so much more fun a lot like long range shooting but with a bow and in your backyard.. and 99% of the time YOURE the problem so thats fun too!

We had bows when I was like 10 years old the old bear bows but I was groomed on BB guns and crosman pellet rifles which is similar to a bow same ranges

When you grew up learning drop and windage at 50 yds.. this long range stuff is pretty simple

Last edited:

Recent Posts