IRL Hunter Match ?

What is IRL?
do you mean NRL?
Honestly shooting isn't a spectator sport do as you please but my advice is always register and just go shoot with the gear you have, tell people you are new and they will help you out and you'll learn a ton. My only caution is you will likely come home with a grocery list that is gonna cost you a couple grand minimum.

What is IRL?
do you mean NRL?
Honestly shooting isn't a spectator sport do as you please but my advice is always register and just go shoot with the gear you have, tell people you are new and they will help you out and you'll learn a ton. My only caution is you will likely come home with a grocery list that is gonna cost you a couple grand minimum.
I'm starting a new match! Competitors race around in Indy cars, then shoot targets while dressed in flame-retardent suits and helmets. Seriously, I meant NRL Hunter. Thanks for the advice.

Josh puts on an awesome match is an awesome dude. I hung out with him in eastern Wa. I wanna get down and shoot his match. Show up see if any ro's need help. Help ro a stage it's a great time. You'll meet awesome people. And you'll be ready to build a rifle dedicated to that. Or three oh wait that's me. Hopefully it doesn't happen to you. It's highly expensive. Lol. Have a blast.

Josh puts on an awesome match is an awesome dude. I hung out with him in eastern Wa. I wanna get down and shoot his match. Show up see if any ro's need help. Help ro a stage it's a great time. You'll meet awesome people. And you'll be ready to build a rifle dedicated to that. Or three oh wait that's me. Hopefully it doesn't happen to you. It's highly expensive. Lol. Have a blast.
I've been wanting to go to a match, but my pockets are already empty so I'd better steer clear.
Until I win the lottery, I guess I'll just compete against the guy in the mirror. Sad part is, he's a pee poor shot just like me!

I've been wanting to go to a match, but my pockets are already empty so I'd better steer clear.
Until I win the lottery, I guess I'll just compete against the guy in the mirror. Sad part is, he's a pee poor shot just like me!
that's one of my favorite things about nrl hunter. Run a factory gun in a factory available chambering and have a blast. Tikka 6.5 creed, 6.5 prc and now they even allow 6 creed/243 in a factory class. Go shoot one!

Two thoughts:

Attend some matches and find out that many shooters will offer to let you shoot their rifles. Then buckle up!

Switch your endeavors over to shooting 22LR and be able to afford to shoot in some competitions and practice. It's possible that some of the indoor ranges host 22LR matches and provide lanes for practice.

Whatever you choose, enjoy!

:)

Two thoughts:

Attend some matches and find out that many shooters will offer to let you shoot their rifles. Then buckle up!

Switch your endeavors over to shooting 22LR and be able to afford to shoot in some competitions and practice. It's possible that some of the indoor ranges host 22LR matches and provide lanes for practice.

The only thing cheaper about rimfire is the ammo.

Two thoughts:

My nephew and his son are shooting long range .22LR and enjoying the heck out of it.
Sounds like it's great training for dealing with wind.

The only thing cheaper about rimfire is the ammo.

It's not necessary nor did I state the need for an expensive rifle or scope. Many local competitions have beginners getting their feet wet with the lesser priced 22LR rifles. The OP did not state he was wanting to be the top of line competitor either. Most of us started out at the beginning...

;)

It's not necessary nor did I state the need for an expensive rifle or scope. Many local competitions have beginners getting their feet wet with the lesser priced 22LR rifles. The OP did not state he was wanting to be the top of line competitor either. Most of us started out at the beginning...

;)
agreed, same goes for nrl so my point still stands, gonna save a few bucks on ammo

I attended the match today as an observer. It was cool to see all of the people and their rigs. I hung with two new shooters as they went through seven stages with assistance. Some guys had thousands of dollars tied up in their equipment, and some not so much. It was amazing to watch someone hit a target at 900 yards plus with a Ruger Predator rifle on an aftermarket chassis. I learned four minutes go by fast. The stability of the rifle is key. The goal is to find the targets in the natural setting, range them properly, dial in the dope correctly, get steady enough to hit the target, and then do it three more times within four minutes. I saw a few get messed up with dialing in for a 300-yard target, out for the next 600-yard target, moving position, then dialing back to 300 yards again, then dialing back out to 600 yards again. I saw the guys' hands shaking as they were trying to put the magazines in. I was standing with the timer/RO so I could see the time running down as they were trying to make the shot. It was heartbreaking when they couldn't get it done. This looks to be way too much cost involved to get started. I was thinking of trying it with the standard hunting equipment I have but after today, that would be mission impossible. Just ranging the targets at 300 to 800 yards with a standard rangefinder was mostly impossible. The experienced shooters had range-finding binos on carbon fiber tripods. Again, it was cool to watch but my pockets are not deep enough to pay to play. I did find it interesting that every shooter I spoke with used their same gun to hunt with. I assumed that chassis guns were not favorable to hunt with, but every cell phone was filled with photos of success stories. It has changed my thinking.

I attended the match today as an observer. It was cool to see all of the people and their rigs. I hung with two new shooters as they went through seven stages with assistance. Some guys had thousands of dollars tied up in their equipment, and some not so much. It was amazing to watch someone hit a target at 900 yards plus with a Ruger Predator rifle on an aftermarket chassis. I learned four minutes go by fast. The stability of the rifle is key. The goal is to find the targets in the natural setting, range them properly, dial in the dope correctly, get steady enough to hit the target, and then do it three more times within four minutes. I saw a few get messed up with dialing in for a 300-yard target, out for the next 600-yard target, moving position, then dialing back to 300 yards again, then dialing back out to 600 yards again. I saw the guys' hands shaking as they were trying to put the magazines in. I was standing with the timer/RO so I could see the time running down as they were trying to make the shot. It was heartbreaking when they couldn't get it done. This looks to be way too much cost involved to get started. I was thinking of trying it with the standard hunting equipment I have but after today, that would be mission impossible. Just ranging the targets at 300 to 800 yards with a standard rangefinder was mostly impossible. The experienced shooters had range-finding binos on carbon fiber tripods. Again, it was cool to watch but my pockets are not deep enough to pay to play. I did find it interesting that every shooter I spoke with used their same gun to hunt with. I assumed that chassis guns were not favorable to hunt with, but every cell phone was filled with photos of success stories. It has changed my thinking.
You can 100% get it done with a regular range finder in hand it's just going to be harder. You can get a cheap tripod if you wanted to try that $100 ish on Amazon. Ya tons of people hunt with chassis rifles me included. Comfortable rifle weight really depends on your style of hunting. If you decide to shoot a match you are better off trying to get good solid shots off vs shooting all your rounds, no sense shooting 8 crappy shots and hitting nothing better off to get stable and break a clean shot and get 2 impacts. Also don't get discouraged when you miss just carry on. It happens