Introducing the Absolute Hammer

Could you explain a little more how it works? Is the bullet slightly undersized and only the drive bands contacting? How does it lower the pressure so much and achieve such velocities? Big fan of your bullets just trying to learn.

Could you explain a little more how it works? Is the bullet slightly undersized and only the drive bands contacting? How does it lower the pressure so much and achieve such velocities? Big fan of your bullets just trying to learn.
When we started working on the design our goal was to cure the problem that shows up now and then with tight bore rifles destroying the bc of the bullets. The tighter the bore the farther out onto the ogive in front of the shoulder they start to engrave the bullet. The tighter the bore the worse the bc. So what we did was bring the ogive up to just under bore dia and then put a reverse radius (or a dip) from that point to the shoulder/1st drive band. Now the bullet can not be engraved forward of the shoulder. We knew that we would see less pressure, but did not anticipate how much less. Much of our engraving pressure was coming from engraving the nose of the bullet. Now our PDR radius drive bands are all that is engaging the lands and grooves. Resulting in very low engraving pressure.

When it comes to loading these we are very much in a learning curve as well. Faster than usual powders will be in order. That is why we are saying that only experienced reloaders that are good at reading pressure signs should work with these. If standard for bullet weight powders are used you can't get in trouble.

hammerbullets.com/product/284-cal-155g-absolute-hammer/

Here is the 1st of many Absolute Hammers to come. We will be designing and producing these from .172 cal all the way up. Introduction of bullets will be in the most popular calibers and common twist rates and working our way into the less common stuff. We will base our design work based on sales of our current line.

We set out to design this bullet to address the problem that we see with bullets of tight bore specifications that engraver further out onto the ogive resulting in poor bc performance. We came up with an ogive design that does not allow any engraving forward of the shoulder of the bullet. Just before the ogive reaches bore dia we put in a reverse PDR going into the first PDR drive band. For those that don't know PDR is Parabolic Drag Reduction, this is what we patented. Now there will be no difference from rifle to rifle in how much they distort the nose of the bullet. The only thing that can change is the configuration of engraving on the baring surface. So with this design you will likely not be able to reach the lands. Nor will you base to ogive measuring tools work as you are used to. They will set on the shoulder of the bullet.

We knew when we started the 1st prototype design that we would be seeing a reduction is engraving pressure. Boy were we surprised! We are getting 3320 fps with this 155g Absolute Hammer in our 27" 280ai with very comfortable pressure. 2950 fps is the highest vel that Hodgdon shows with a 150g bullet and the fastest that Nosler shows for a 150g is 3107. The highest vel they show for a 160g bullet is 2872 fps Hodgdon and 3045 fps Nosler. They are getting their vel using H1000 and 4831 burn rate powders. We were not able to find any pressure until we dropped down to rl16 powder. We have not experimented with many powders as we were just after accuracy and ballistic information. We are running about 10g more powder at this burn rate than Hodgdon data shows for a similar burn rate and bullet weight.

So to give you an idea, the Absolute Hammer will gain enough vel to make a 30-06 run sxs with a 300wm. Hodgdon data shows a 30-06 running a 180g bullet at 2850 fps on the top end and the 300wm running just shy of 3050 for a 180g bullet. Assuming we see the same increase in vel with the 30-06 as we see with the 280ai, this is truly a game changer. Magnum plus velocities from large rifle cartridges and ultramag plus velocities from magnum cartridges. Trust me we will be testing big magnums very soon. I am pretty sure we will be pushing the 3700 fps mark with a 200g bullet in the Remington Ultramag. I will update on this asap.

Here is a pic, let me know what you think.

28155AH.JPG
SOMEbody is trying to channel Mr Herter.

When we started working on the design our goal was to cure the problem that shows up now and then with tight bore rifles destroying the bc of the bullets. The tighter the bore the farther out onto the ogive in front of the shoulder they start to engrave the bullet. The tighter the bore the worse the bc. So what we did was bring the ogive up to just under bore dia and then put a reverse radius (or a dip) from that point to the shoulder/1st drive band. Now the bullet can not be engraved forward of the shoulder. We knew that we would see less pressure, but did not anticipate how much less. Much of our engraving pressure was coming from engraving the nose of the bullet. Now our PDR radius drive bands are all that is engaging the lands and grooves. Resulting in very low engraving pressure.

When it comes to loading these we are very much in a learning curve as well. Faster than usual powders will be in order. That is why we are saying that only experienced reloaders that are good at reading pressure signs should work with these. If standard for bullet weight powders are used you can't get in trouble.
So that is why you likely wouldnt engage the lands because that would be the first drive band? IE the ogive never contacts the lands? So instead of .264 its say .2635 or there abouts?

My new rebuild Lazzeroni 30 cal SA Patriot is being throated right now for 178 ELDX full neck bearing Savage 116ss left hand single shot bolt action might really cook the 190's ?? That could be an elk load from hell if it will stack them .

I may need to try a 175, 180 and 190 in my -06. Possibly a 200 grain. It shoots the Sierra Gameking 200s here on the high plains and in the high mountains pretty well, and I get around 2600fps with a 22 inch barrel. I might do some experiments to see if I can get stabilization with the heavier bullets.

Steve
Major companies are only interested in being the cheapest. They all seem to be on a race track to the bottom. We are much more interested on racing to the top.

We are in talks now with a smaller company that is into precision ammunition. It looks good.
Steve, please stay the course and continue to innovate! What you guys have produced to this point has been exceptional and your willingness to communicate to all of us is second to none and thank you for your dedication.