Interlock vs SST

I shoot 129 grain SSTs out of my 6.5x284. Chrono speed of 2910. These were originally designed to be my fire form load from my Savage 111 LRH. First, these are stupidly accurate out of this rifle. Secondly, I have shot more than 20 deer and antelope with this load out to just past 400 yards. None of the SSTs have "blown up". Except for one poorly placed shot, all of these animals have been killed with one shot. Interlocks are great too, but it seems the SST bashing is more of a hobby for people then based in overall performance.
And interlocks themselves can be very explosive…130grajn 270 at 3200 fps makes a mess.

Frosty5050....🤫, don't let the cat outta the bag that these bullets actually work, then we won't be able to find any😃

I run 95SST out of my everyday pickup gun (243). 129SST out of my other pickup gun (260REM). 139s out of the 7-08AI and used ti run the 130SST out of the 270 before I sold it. As you can see, I'm a fan. Nothing has required a second shot from 40 to 400.

20220312_184201.jpg
200yrds 129SST out of my 260, that's the exit

Early SST's were different than the ones being made at this time.

Two friends went to Africa for the 6 plains game including Eland and Kudu with custom loaded 7 STW with 162g SST at a MV of 3150. All Six of each of their game animals died in their tracks...in their tracks! They took their Taxidermist with them with a 338 WM loaded with 250g partitions, they did some tracking.

I have killed three bucks only with the 154g SST out of my 7 Mag with a MV of 3150 under an old farm place with half a dozen trees the bucks were feeding under....325-350 yards. All shots were behind the shoulder lung shots. One buck flopped on the spot, one ran 10 yards, and the other jumped straight up like a bottle rocket, came down antlers first with them sticking in the dirt!

We have killed a lot of deer and hogs with the 139g Hornady Flat base with the 7/08 and 7 mags, and the old 162g BTSP is a shore nuff elk bullet, so is the 154g Hornady Sp.

If you are a shoulder shooter, then I would opt for the heavy for caliber SST, you will be fine. I shot some deer with the 270 Win using 130g SST with a couple of different loads. I aimed well behind the shoulder, probably 8" and the damage was massive taking out heart and lungs from the hydrostatic shock. I would not want to use this bullet on shoulder shots.

We get to hunt during the Rut, so shots can come from any angle as they are chasing does, and I do like to rattle and grunt in bucks. They come in jacked up and you take what ever shot you are presented with. The bullet is the cheapest part of the hunt.

In my 7 mag, I have a FAST load with R#25 with a Winchester mag primer with the 150-154g bullets having an extreme spread of 9 fps at 3250 fps, grouping clover leafs from several factory rifles. I shot a doe around 150 yards, about a foot behind the shoulder and it blew a 5" hole out the off side. I use Gentry muzzle breaks and I saw what looked like he whole gut sack blown out the off side at the shot...it was impressive to say the least. I aim for the diaphragm with these fast 154's, and I like using them in the evening hunts were I do not want to chase a running dead deer....special purpose load set up for one rifle. More often than not, a lung shot is a running shot. This load in my Rem 700 and Browning A bolt 7 mags has put a STOP to lung shot deer.

I just picked up a box of 139 grain SST and a box of 139 grain Interlocks for my 7-08. I want to use them for deer later this year. Can anyone tell me what the difference is between them. At most I will be shooting 300 yds.
SST has plastic tip, interlock does not.

First hand experience with SST my granddaughter shoots the Hornday Reduced recoil SST out of CVA Scout
7MM-08 I've witnessed several kills almost every bullet exploded on impact tremendous external damage but minimal most cases a follow up shot was needed. The interlock is a far superior hunting bullet. Just my opinion, I'm sure others will disagree.
I'm from old school. I shoot a 270 with 130 gr nossler. But in cal. You can't use them anymore which sucks in my book. Hornadys shoot good but not as good as my nossler bullit. I'm living in NM. Now so back to the nossler for me.

I cant tell you how many elk and mule deer I have killed with the Hornady 139 grain interbond, the predecessor to the interlock out of my 7 mag. I use interlocks in my wifes 6mm and they shoot great and kill deer flat dead, no issues. I ahve not shot any of the SST's so I cannot give you any real world experience with those.

380yrds (had her ranged at 305, came back off some grass I think?) 139SST out of my 7-08AI. Hit a little low because of the extra distance. Muzzle velocity of 2703fps. Entered infront of right front leg, crossed over the top of the heart and exited low mid torso. I've had excellent results with this bullet. I went with it because of the low muzzle velocity from my 18" barrelView attachment 373538View attachment 373539View attachment 373540View attachment 373541View attachment 373542
Impressive. This is why I like this group. I've hunted all my life but find I can still learn a lot from everyone. Only reloaded shotgun, never rifles. I learn from hands on teaching and never had someone to give me this type of help. I like both of these bullets. Use them in my 25-06, Sendero 26 inch bull barrel.

I have used both and love both.

They are both explosive at magnum velocities and close range, say out of a 7mm Rem Mag at 100 yds.

But in a 7mm-08 both are great hunting bullets. They both have the interlock ring, and I now prefer the 139gr SST for the higher BC. Longest kill was a coues deer at 475yds and made jello of the vitals, deer took a few steps and dropped. Closest kill was around 100 yds, went through a mule deer and dropped it in the spot. I'm pushing it just over 2,800 fps.

I love the SST Bullets, and I've also use the 162gr SST with great results.

I just picked up a box of 139 grain SST and a box of 139 grain Interlocks for my 7-08. I want to use them for deer later this year. Can anyone tell me what the difference is between them. At most I will be shooting 300 yds.
Limited experience with the SST from the Interlocks, which I have used in standard calibers like the 30-06 and 270 Win. At those velocities and at 300 yards the Interlocks are cheaper and seem to be available here locally. Primers are the hard to find item around my neck of the woods and thankful I stocked up on most of what I shoot. Pick the one that shoots the best and you can't go wrong.

I would defer to Frosty's experience for the SST. I have shot the flat base Interlock in my 7 Mag at 3200 fps and never had any issue, shoulder shooting deer and hogs. In a previous post, I mentioned my love for the 154 SST in the 7 mag...dead deer fast. I don't think I have ever shot 154 SST on a shoulder, 8" behind the shoulder is what I like, all innards are mush and the diaphragm is busted.

Have been loading Hornady for over 45 years, liked the Interbond the best. The SST in 308, 30-06 and 300 WM all shot good but way to much meat damage. For 300 yd. and under I would use the Interlocks if they group. Yes its all about shot placement, good hunting.

SST has a polymer tip and a higher BC. I have heard that they tend to blow up and high velocity and close range, but have no experience with that. I have used the interlock's for many years on deer and antelope and work good out to at least 400 yards on thin skinned animals.
I shot a Muley buck in Utah many moons ago with a 150 grain SST out of a 300 Rim. MV chrono'ed at 3630 fps. Buck was around 100 yds. I hit shoulder. It looked like a granade went off in him. Not much left of shoulder. After that I shot 180 bullets...