Hornady btsp interlock seating depth

Tac-O

Howdy all,

I'm thinking I'm going to buy some 165gr Hornady btsp for hunting, because that's what is available at the store for a hunting bullet and my new barrel doesn't like my Speer hunting bullets much.

My plan for load development here is to first find the best seating depth for this bullet.

Does anyone have much experience in testing a wide range of seating depths with this bullet? I could just go to the cannelure, but I'd like to optimize it. I'd rather not have to go all the way from 0.010 off lands to .120 off lands .. that's a lot of primers. Should I start far from lands or close to lands with this bullet?

What gun in particular.
I run 165 and 180 Hornady. Those are really good bullet for whitetails. Poor mans Noslear partions. That is a great killer on whitetails Size game. 30-06 with h4350 and those bullets work really good.
seating depth i Usually run for hunting guns 20 thousands off the lands. Gun will either shoot it or it want.
i Will say I use the flat base bullets more than the BTSP.

30-284, so basically an '06. The lands look like they're cut at a much shallower angle than a factory barrel, though. That might make a difference.

I usually start out with 0.020 off if I decide to try close to lands. If it works for you, make I'll give that a shot.