Insight on Scope location.

The shooter complained that he couldnt see the entire circle when shouldering and looking through the scope. I know every scope/rifle is different but we compared that too a different rifle that he said he could see the entire circle. I did measearument from back of scope to butt stock on that rifle and it was 12 1/4". So I did the same measurement for the pictured scope above and it was 13 1/4"

Look into reversible ring mounts by Leopold. The base will mount so that the ring slot is a bit over the action, it'll give you 3/8--1/2 " back ward movement and then you also have about 1/4 on the scope to rings so that should be a significant rearward movement.

I always make sure the rifle fits first before positioning the scope. That means having the length of pull adjusted either with adding spacers or cutting back the stock. It's also a good time to add a butt pad you are happy with. The shooter should be able to shoulder the rifle without stretching your neck forward or leaning you head over to see through the scope. Sometimes I will just take the front scope ring off altogether and use a slightly loosened rear ring to help me find the right position and then I will look for scope rings or bases that allow me to keep that position. Another trick I use sometimes with other shooter is to take the butt pad off their rifle and see if it shoulders better for them. It often does and that gives an indication the stock should be shortened. The height of the rings is important as well and it has become traditional to use the lowest rings you can get away with regardless of the drop, (or rise), at the heel of the stock. I find some shooters basing their ring height solely on how the bell of the scope clears the barrel or scope bases and not on the most comfortable eye position.

Try a recoil eraser, it will move the rifle foreward to get a little more eye relief. That's what I did.

Look into reversible ring mounts by Leopold. The base will mount so that the ring slot is a bit over the action, it'll give you 3/8--1/2 " back ward movement and then you also have about 1/4 on the scope to rings so that should be a significant rearward movement.
I just had to do this on my m70 257 Roberts. Leupold rvf/r bases, it had the rvr bases originally but the Leupold vx3i-2.5-8 wouldn't come back far enough. But if he sees through another s scope and rifle with a 12.5 lop maybe he's a short guy. I have a friend that needs a 12-12.5 lop and gets his stocks cut down. So maybe that's the real issue.

Warning! This thread is more than 5 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.