New to Long Range - Scope Insights

the beast

Been shooting 600 yards using a Vortex PST. I want to move up in scopes to either a NightForce or March. Recommendations for 1st or 2nd focus plane? Reticle power magnification? Would like to shoot 1000 yards. Thanks

If your current scope works for you at 600, then it will work for you at 1000. When get to a 1000 and beyond, then the human elements such as shooting form and etc may be more important than increasing scope magnification or the other attributes you have mentioned. Bottom line, keep what you have and concentrate more on practice.

Answer in part depending on what your move from the Vortex is based on. Insufficient magnification, reticle, tracking, clarity.....?

Answer could be your good for now, and each year brings innovations in the optics department, as well as used equipment from others "upgrading".

Focal plane kind of depends on how you use it. I have one FFP, and no need for another, not a criticism just SFP is more useful to me, in more situations. Passionate discussions available via the bar top right corner of the page.

First hand experience with the Nightforce (FFP & SFP) has stopped me from looking any further for better riflescopes.

My opinion on FFP VS SFP really depends on what type of shooting you are doing and what you plan on using your scope for. If you are target shooting and want to range with your reticle use it for hold over or windage I would say FFP would ideal.
If you are hunting, shooting known distances,and dialing for different distances I would use SFP.
I hate FFP for hunting many guys love it I just have no use for it being that I range with my RF binos and dial my scope when needed.
Also I can't stand the thin reticle at low power and the thickness at high power.

I own a number of NF scopes and am extremely satisfied with all of them.

I've never seen or held a March scope, though I've read very positive reviews on those that own them or have used them.

Warning! This thread is more than 8 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.