Initial load development help

cmorsch

What distance would be sufficient for my load development testing. I have access to a 100yd range close by the house but to get anything further I would need to drive a little over 2 hours each way and don't really want to go that far if I don't have to since its a long trip to only shoot 20-25 shots.

I'd sure use the local 100 yard range to work at getting something promising . then I'd go to the other range . I've always thought how nice it would be , to be able to either load at the range , or have 100 yds range at home .

I've just opened up a 150 yard shooting lane at my girlfriends camp . I'll be getting a quick little loading bench set up there for load development . I think this will be very convenient , and a time saver .

I hear ya!
I also have easy access to 100 yard range, 35 min drive. And the closest 800 yard range is over 2 hours drive.
So I developed a load that gives consistant 1/2" groups at 100 and keep practiceing. It has been over 5 years since I was at Bull Medows and I must say that the 800 yard is truly humbling.
Now I guess is it time to book an afternoon at the Medows.

My answer depends a lot on how you intend to go about developing your load. If you are pulling data out of books and making up several loads to experiment with while shooting for groups; then 100 yards will work fine.

However, if you plan on shooting a ladder or using the OCW method, then I would recommend 300 yards minimum.

If you are unsure what either of these methods are: then the search button is your friend.

One part of the discussion that has been left out here is chrono data. You can develop a load at 100 yards all you want but without velocity data, you might as well be shooting with your eyes closed.

So, get a chrono and take it to your hundred yard range. When you find load that will shoot .5moa or better and with an ES of 15 or better, then you've got something to take to a longer range.

Warning! This thread is more than 11 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.