Information about a Winchester Model 70

I just purchased a mid-1990's manufactured Model 70. It is original factory in stainless steel, synthetic stock, and BOSS. It's a .338 WM. Any information about this gun would be greatly appreciated.

I can't offer much, but a couple of questions. It may help someone else chime in with pertinent information!

Is it a push feed or controlled feed. Does it have the "el cheapo" Mattel plastic stock? memtb

I haven't received it, yet. I do know it's CRF action. I was wondering about the stock. I don't know if it's worth keeping or start looking for a good carbon fiber stock. Also, I don't care for the BOSS. Maybe cut the barrel to 22 inches?

I haven't received it, yet. I do know it's CRF action. I was wondering about the stock. I don't know if it's worth keeping or start looking for a good carbon fiber stock. Also, I don't care for the BOSS. Maybe cut the barrel to 22 inches?

My wife's .338 WM has the "Mattel" plastic stock and is push feed. The stock is acceptable…..but, barely. I wanted to replace it with something better, but she's OK with it and did want to spend the money!

As for the BOSS, supposedly can improve accurac, but makes the barrel too long (IMO), will make the muzzle blast intolerabl, and not necessary! 22" should make it a "sweetheart" to use in mixed terrain, and reduce mv very little…..again, my opinion! memtb

I just purchased a mid-1990's manufactured Model 70. It is original factory in stainless steel, synthetic stock, and BOSS. It's a .338 WM. Any information about this gun would be greatly appreciated.
Whether you handload or shoot factory ammo, I recommend you start shooting with the BOSS on. I understand It is an effective tuner. Then decide if you don't like it. McMillan, Stocky's, and Hogue offer Win stock options. You might also find a nice Win walnut stock on gunparts.com, McMillan will be your most economical option for carbon fiber that fits without custom inletting of a flat top.

I believe some of the BOSS devices, you can close the ports if you like so it is not any louder than a normal rifle.

I got a decent stock for my M70 made in the same time frame from Bell and Carlson. It has the full aluminum bedding block, and the rifle shoots great in it. I think it was 350.00 or so, new from B&C.

Attachments

• M70Hunter.jpg
    M70Hunter.jpg
    181.7 KB · Views: 54
This might help
Make: Winchester
Model: 70 Classic Sporter BOSS
Year of Manufacture from: 1995-1998
Caliber: .300 Winchester Magnum
Action Type: Bolt Action, Internal Magazine Fed Rifle with Hinged Floorplate

Markings: The left of the barrel is marked "WINCHESTER MODEL 70 300 WIN. MAG. / -MADE IN NEW HAVEN, CT. U.S.A.". The right side of the barrel is marked "CLASSIC SPORTER BOSS / PATENT NUMBER 5279200". The top of the barrel at the rear is marked with ovalled "WP". The left of the receiver is marked "WINCHESTER / -TRADE MARK-", the right is marked with the serial number. The bolt is hand-scribed with the last four digits of the serial number.

Barrel Length: 24″, 26" to End of BOSS

As I recall the BOSS was with both Winchester and Bowning at the time... (Ballistic Optimizing Shooting System) at any rate it didn't really catch on, I know Browning put the BOSS on their BARs that was kind of a joke.

Good luck Cheers

I have not done anything on this one. I have bedded a same gun in 300WM.
Triggers are easy to work on. Easy to adjust.
BOSS is great with factory ammo. It you handload, you have starting points. I handload for
My 30.06 and fine tune with BOSS.

Last edited: