info needed on smokless build

longrangeshooter1

Here in a month or two im going to be building a smokless muzzleloader on a rem 700 action. What barrel to go with, what twist, hows the recoil,and 45 or 50 cal?

I'm digging my 25" 45 cal PacNor 1:20 twist. A lot of guys shoot 1:22 twist in the Pacnors and McGowens also

For low recoil the 45cal is the best I have a pacnor barrel on mine #7 contour 45cal 1-22 twist 25in barrel. shooting sabots its great but for sabot less its a little work resizing bullets to fit. but shoot good when you have it sized right.

I'm using a 1:22 twist, 26" PacNor. I wish the contour were a bit lighter, the thing shoots lights out but is quite heavy.

You can go faster with the twist, but last I followed development there really aren't any bullets out there (despite development efforts) with higher BC than what we have now, requiring 1:20 or faster.

What do you plan to use for your priming system? I do not recommend you use the plug style which uses shortened cases in the existing bolt. They are prone to gas-cutting the nipple that the case presses onto when forces against the plug by the bolt. Once that happens -- and it doesn't take much -- your $80 plug is shot. I've been there, and converted to a newer 209 system.

PacNor made mine using the 700ml barrel contour and is lighter than the "DD" standard contour. Also, shooting the Parker Match Hunters sabotless the 1:20 performs better than the 1:22 I also have.

My "hillbilly" build. Remington 700ML with a .45 Pac-Nor Sendero tube. Slings 275 grain Parker MH into small groups at 300 yards.

As another poster mentioned, dougsmessageboards is the source.

Attachments

• smokeless1_zps6ec62edf.jpg
    smokeless1_zps6ec62edf.jpg
    184 KB · Views: 162
How did you do in Ontario?

No blood on the smokeless. Turned down one decent eight only because I had enough venison in the freezer. Trail cameras had two bruisers cruising the plots nocturnal. Was hoping one of them made the mistake stepping out early.

I am using a 1-22 twist Pac Nor Duplexing the powder and getting 2700 fps with a 195 Barnes . Longest kill 275 yards . Longest shot attempted 275 yards. The gun is so accurate I wouldn't even consider shooting a none trophy class deer that's within 100 yards, anywhere except the noggin. I am also using the Savage standard breech plug and nipple with a 209 Primer.

I went with the mgowen barrel because I didn't want to fool with sizing bullets for the pacnor. I love mine its my favorite gun by far and it looks awesome its stainless with hs precision stock sendero contour barrel fluted by twited barrel. Only thing is I wish I had a muzzle brake on it cause it does pack a punch. Ive only got to shoot it out to 300 but I can put them in a 2inch circle all day at that range using 275 MH.

Warning! This thread is more than 10 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.