In which states do you currently have preference points?

I currently have hunting preference points in the following states

• Arizona

Votes: 97 22.1%
  • California

Votes: 49 11.2%
  • Colorado

Votes: 160 36.5%
  • Montana

Votes: 86 19.6%
  • Nevada

Votes: 71 16.2%
  • Oregon

Votes: 72 16.4%
  • Utah

Votes: 106 24.2%
  • Wyoming

Votes: 194 44.3%

• Total voters
I have 5 points CO & 1 in SD. I don't think points are about conservation. Years ago I was turned downed for Nonresident South Dakota West River Deer because they had gotten Blue tongue but it we paid more for are license we could receive a buck only license. Like I was going to buy a expensive Nonresident license just to shoot a doe. It's all about the money. If they don't have deer, buy paying more it does not increase the heard size.

Well, Maryland isn't listed and thats the only place I have preference points for and that's for Black Bear. My wife drew last yr and chocked on one at 40 yds. I get a little jealous when seeing pics like I saw earlier of someone nailing a Bobcat. Our season is closed for them here. Someday I might get back out west and hunt.

I have 15 for colorado elk and mule deer can anyone give me a lead on an honest guide that will not BS me about the quality of animals he hunts. Don't want to waste 15 yrs of p points to a BS'er. Would like a decent chance at a trophy animal. Don't want and am not looking for a gurantee, but at least want to be in the area that they roam!
Thanks in advance.

In truth Preference Points level the playing field. Most states require a person to purchase a hunting license in order to get the P Points. Here in California I have 2 PPs. In order to get them I buy my license and a deer tag application. The tag gives you 3 options on your hunting areas of choice. For 2014 my 1st choice: Preference Point Deer, 2nd choice: Anterless Deer, 3rd choice: Buck Deer D16.
If not successful in the draws, I've requested a refund. Out of pocket cost $71,07. A refund will only cover the cost of the deer tag $30.81.
Preference Points over the years have allowed me to plan Northern California Premium Deer Hunts in some of the Top Hunting Locations.

I hunted Colorado 2011 for Elk using 3 Preference Points and harvested a nice 5x5 Bull during the 3rd Rifle Season in Unit 66.

Good Luck.
Gonzo
SEMPER FIDELIS

If you wait a couple years, I'd recommend Garvey Bros. in unit 61.
I have 16 and don't have enough to go 1st season (prolly WON"T with the creep either), but have enough for 2nd season NEXT year. I won't be using a guide, but these guys come HIGHLY recommended by HF magazine and I interviewed Stan & Doylene in 2008 and liked their camp, equipment, demeanor. Just can't swing the moola. It's more now.
You have a legitimate chance at something at or over 300. Good luck whatever you decide.

I have 15 for colorado elk and mule deer can anyone give me a lead on an honest guide that will not BS me about the quality of animals he hunts. Don't want to waste 15 yrs of p points to a BS'er. Would like a decent chance at a trophy animal. Don't want and am not looking for a gurantee, but at least want to be in the area that they roam!
Thanks in advance.

I've got 13 bonus points in az for elk and 6 for antelope hopefully that goes down to zero after this week.

That's why I HATE the point system in AZ. It's still the luck of the draw no matter what. In CO you at least know you'll get a tag after a given amount of years because they give tags to those with the most points first then if there are any left over it goes to the next amount of points and so on.

I would say it is for conservation in some ways. An alternative would be to offer tags over the counter, like most whitetail states. But they do a draw to limit the tags.

Of course, not all draw states have points, like NM. But the draw aspect, I would say, is for conservation.
In Oregon, in many ways it is for conservation. Eastern Oregon Muley used to be over the counter until the early 80's and was very popular for a week of hunting camp among most Oregonian hunters, even in western Oregon. Two hugely harsh winters in a row (1981 and 1982) proved devestating to the deer populations. An early early HARD snow in 1981 wiped out thousands of deer caught at higher elevations. The 1982 winter dropped well below zero, not hurting the deer so much but further thinning the population, and cleaning out huge areas of game birds, frozen together on the ground in flocks. Then the early 90's drop in jack rabbit had the coyotes focusing more on young antelope, some areas had 97% fawn mortality. Thanks to increasing jack rabbit and decreasing coyote populations, the antelope are rebounding.
Oh, I have 20 preference points for antelope, 5 for elk, 5 for deer. I hope to plan my Hart Mt. antelope hunt for 2016, I have enough points to pretty much guarantee my once in a lifetime quality antelope hunt. I still have that blank space on my wall.

Warning! This thread is more than 10 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.