In the Ear? Really???

Hornet was sister ship to the Oriskany(Oriskiny?) My buddies served on the Oriskany and were both killed after discharge in the 70's. The Oriskany was my "tie" to them whenever it was in the news, it reminded me of them. When they scuttled her to make a reef it was like I had lost them all over again.

Had did some work in NJ for a guy that served on theOriskany. He gave me a set of USN earmuffs from the flight deck. Started me on my way to studying aircraft carriers. Still use them when I shoot.

Had did some work in NJ for a guy that served on theOriskany. He gave me a set of USN earmuffs from the flight deck. Started me on my way to studying aircraft carriers. Still use them when I shoot.

Hatrick, sorry, I don't know much about the Navy at all. Spent all my time in the Army with a weapon in my OWN hand! When we were there, we toured it, but didn't remember which ship, which is why I put (Yorktown?) in parenthesis.

Thanks for the correction, guys!

I once was slightly involved in a study on the feasibility of putting Reverse Osmosis or desalinization plants and water bottle and packaging facilities in the Hanger? deck of a retired nuclear powered Aircraft Carrier to supply water in the Caribbean after a hurricane. Not to just U.S. ports, but to whomever needed it most, but that was early in the Bush administration. With just the room on the lower, "Hanger" (I think) deck, could have generated over 20,000,000 gallons of water per day and moved around to wherever it was needed most. Never happened as far as i know, and my participation was minimal, only involving the feasibility of building it. Sure would have helped in New Orleans.

Don't know what is going on, have had more posts from people that haven't posted before! Anyway, welcome, and if you have any pictures of dead, or even live Feral Hogs, post them! Got to do something until djones sobers up! After all, this is supposed to be the Packr......Hog forum! Anyone wanting to advertise on this page, contact me! Captive audience!...LOL

41149-a432c823d5071b98b3691a8c1814bc84.jpg

Politicians and Diapers need to be changed often, and for the same reason! (See Len, another chance to have had an advertiser in here, very reasonably)

Last edited:
I'm normally 4 to 5 hours north of Big Blue Sky Montana,,, I'm waaaaay further North then that right now,,, much closer to the 60th parallel,,, 27 hours south/east of Alaska,,, Yuppers,,, we have a small Pod of Hogs in our area,,, but there far and few in-between.

I like this thread since I don't fit in,,, less the part of loooooong time family connections along the Eastern Sea Board of the USA. Ok,,, all through out.

I class everything from the equator to Cambridge Bay North as """The Americas""" since us humans have more in common then apart,,, I think this saying came from my long time friend in North Carolina,,, I'm a traveling dude.

Nothing over Seas since there's lots of play ground on this massive rock.
She's 7.200 miles North to South,,, 4.500 miles East to West...
I've been lucky to see it many times over with rubber tires and by air.

It's Arizona for me next year,,, lots of archey stuff on top of the mountains down there.

Ye Ha to good times when they happen.

I class everything from the equator to Cambridge Bay North as """The Americas""" since us humans have more in common then apart,,, I think this saying came from my long time friend in North Carolina,,, I'm a traveling dude.
It's Arizona for me next year,,, lots of archery stuff on top of the mountains down there.

Don, would normally agree with you about the above statement, except getting kind of concerned with the direction the U.S. is taking by some of our politicians. Anyway, I have a friend here that is an Archer and one of the things on his bucket list is a Mountain Lion. Somewhere back in this thread, I told the story of how we tried to ambush one that was coming down into our housing development and getting dogs and cats. If you haven't read it, go look it up. A comedy of errors on our part and probably the only chance he'll get to shoot one with a Bow! Out of like 163 Mountain Lions permits issued in Arizona for Bow hunting, there have only been about 2 taken.
Tucson has a major problem with Mountain Lions since most of the surrounding area is a "no shooting" zone. they come down into the housing areas and take Dogs, Cats and anything else they can eat. Even had one following a Jogger until a lady pulled up beside her in a car and told her to jump in, she was being stalked by a Mountain Lion back about 50'. Pacing her about 20' off the road.

Anyway, if you get into the Tucson area, Coffee's on me. (No djones, I don't mean that I spilled it on myself! Sorry, got to explain things in the simplest terms to djones.)

Anyway, glad to have you visit and you can even show some of the other life forms you are hunting. Can't be any worse than my drivel trying to fill in til djones gets back with some pictures!

Politicians and Diapers need to be changed often, and for the same reason! (See Len, again you could have had an advertiser in here, very reasonably)

You want piggies? Here's some piggies.

John, I sure hope some of them aren't still walking around! Nice pictures, but didn't realize they had gotten so far North in California. Are these Feral Hogs or a cross breed with Javelina? Apparently further down in the southern USA, they cross breed with the European wild boar and can get pretty good sized. I can see that the distance you are shooting is a lot further than I normally get to shoot. We're usually shooting about 50 - Feeder # 1.jpg 60 yards with only one blind that has a 112 yd open shot to the feeder. If you look past the hogs, the brush is usually what we are hunting in. Not a lot of visibility of 20 - 40' if we are tracking them on foot. We can't leave wounded hogs because of adjoining ranches where there are a lot of young kids. Could be worse, I've seen pictures of Florida and even worse visibility if chasing a wounded one.

We get some nice sized hogs, and quite a few of them, with some going to about 400 lbs. As far as eating them, you have to boil all the fat out of the big ones to make them edible from them eating Mesquite beans, but the small ones make good eating. The big ones just aren't worth the effort, although the Mexican Braceros, take all we give them. djones has the right area where there are a lot of crops for them to feed on, and a reasonable distance to shoot, but keeping him sober enough to hit them is often the problem.

The only reason I didn't become a lawyer was self respect! Packrat 6, 2019

View attachment 125833 Tonight, west of Fort Pierce FL.

Hatrick, Nice hog! I missed the picture the first time I looked at your post! Keep it up and post some more!

If I had to guess, I would think you are out in the Hammock area. There are a number of Hammocks out there like Orange Hammock, White Hammock, Sleeping Hammock, etc. and as I remember, some pretty undeveloped areas that could be used for hunting! However, do NOT ask me what a Hammock is, I don't remember. It's been 40+/- years since I was out in that area. If not, then after all it was just a guess. Anyway, thanks for posting your picture!

Now where has djones gone? He disappeared several pages and days ago and I expected him back by now! It's not like we really need him, but it is HIS thread after all!

Hey Len, if you are reading these posts, the least you could do is answer!

Wel, since not getting any answer from Len, l going to try some of my Packrat line of high quality products:
Baby Tee Shirt.jpg This is the normal Packrat tee shirt for a proud to be mother!

BUT, we've added one for the proud to be Father. Not available anywhere but here!
baby maker tee shirt.jpg
Be the first on your block to own one!

Yes I realize most of you LRH'ers aren't home enough to need one, but have you realized that when you're not at your home, djones probably is? Sneaky devil!

Packrat Industries is a non-profit organization. Wasn't meant to be, but just worked out that way!

Last edited:
I'm pretty sure they are a watered down Russian Boar. There's not any Ferals up here. we are very remote so not much in the way of pig farmers! This are has only been settled for around 100 years. The old "you can't get there from here" is a true statement. Here's a couple more of the passers by. !00 pounders. Excellent eating.
HUNT0011.JPG

I'm pretty sure they are a watered down Russian Boar. There's not any Ferals up here. we are very remote so not much in the way of pig farmers! This are has only been settled for around 100 years. The old "you can't get there from here" is a true statement. Here's a couple more of the passers by. !00 pounders. Excellent eating.

John, yeah, they look more like a European boar than most of the Feral's I've seen. The ridge of hair running down the middle of the back in that last photo shows up real well. What is the law on hunting them? I know in Texas and some other states, the Feral's are considered a pest and can be taken by anyone with a hunting license by any means that you want to use. Trapping, poison, hunting, etc. Poison is probably the least used because it can involve other animals, but they do make for year round hunting. Just ask djones! Farmers particularly hate them because of the damage they do to the crops.

djones once posted a picture of what a sounder of hogs did to a field of Peanuts in 1 night and there were several acres totally wasted, including digging up the plants to get at the roots. He was even using about 50# bags of low grade Peanut Butter (?), what he called "Peanut stuff", to bait them. It also supplied his lunch since he had a loaf of Bread and a jar of jelly with him. I was afraid to ask what he was washing it down with.

According to the maps I have showing distribution of Feral Hogs, they show California infested, but not much in Arizona and Nevada so was wondering how they got across the desert from the East. If they are descendants of European Boar, then it makes more sense. I know we don't have many Feral's here, except maybe down in the SE corner, because they have trouble getting across Southern New Mexico with no water. The few reported in Southern Arizona I suspect went down into Mexico and came back up through the mountains. BUILD THE WALL!....LOL They are moving into Northern Arizona by following the Pecos and Rio Grand up through New Mexico and then across the northern mountains where there is water available.

OK, thanks for the photo's and keep them hogs a coming.

BBL,

Packrat Industries is a non-profit organization. Wasn't meant to be, but just worked out that way!

OK, so where is djones? This is his thread, so shouldn't he be posting something once in a while? He just disappeared on us. I know that he's not out Bar Hopping since he has been barred from most of the bars in his area as a Fire Hazard!

He was drinking so much that he tried to light up a cigar while doing his thing and set the urinal on fire! Later tests by the Fire Department determined that his excretionary by-products were running about 40 Proof! Don't even want to know how they ran that test! He might be handy to take camping though if you needed quick way to start the fire!

Has any of you LRH'ers noticed a beady eyed, disheveled looking person hanging around your neighborhood, waiting for you to leave for work?

Anyway, djones, get back here and post something!

I am glad to say that I don't have an enemy in the world. Outlived everyone of the SOB's!

Last edited:
Hatrick, Looks like the main difference between Texas and Florida is that in Texas you have to have a Hunting License. No tags or anything, but I have to buy an out of state Hunting License every year. Not expensive, but a PIA. Only thing that bothers me is the statement "Legal to Own". Means my M-60 MG isn't allowed to be used. Maybe not, though, it and my dogs are licensed!

My brother called and said adjacent landowners were getting hit hard with pigs and that we needed to go thin them again at the Ranch. Since my lady is in California with her Daughter and Grandson, I'm stuck here tending the critters, and restoring the shotguns, so he is heading down with a couple of friends to thin them out. One of the reasons they call us is that mostly around the 600 acres that we hunt is farm land and since our ranch is undeveloped land, the hogs bed down at the ranch in the brush and forage into the crop lands. Usually we thin them about twice a year in April or May and again in the fall.

Somewhere back in the thread is the story of how we ended up being able to hunt the ranch for life. I think a lot of people think it was a made up story, but it actually happened, with the IRS after our butts. (OK, LRH, I know it's marginal!) Darn, Darn, Darn! Another missed hunting opportunity. I told him to send pictures! Maybe I can contribute something to this thread after all!

OK, BBL, keep those posts a coming!

I am glad to say that I don't have an enemy in the world. Outlived everyone of the SOB's!

Last edited:
Warning! This thread is more than 5 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Recent Posts