In the Ear? Really???

Really surprised I didn't get any derogatory comments on my last post, but suppose everyone is as busy as I am.

Am restoring two old Win. Model 12, 20 gauge shotguns that my Brother sent and they are only wanted as wall hangers for my nieces. Both had been heavily modified, with shortened barrels, Chokes, etc., so collector value was nebulous, so am restoring them to as close as original as possible. My brother took them to an antiques arms dealer and was offered $100.00 ea., so anything I do, won't destroy any collector value in them. I was told, "Just make them pretty for the girls". OHHKAAY! Still doesn't feel right!

John@redmt. I really sympathize with your plight, owning a gun in California. Not like the Old days, growing up in Orange County, south of LA and shooting rabbits in the fields of produce around what is now John Wayne Airport. Used to ride the bus with my .22 and no one even thought twice about it, and more than once traded a rabbit or 2 for my bus fare to the driver.

Bonanza Airlines, now defunct, used to fly about 80-100' over the house in landing and one day, we were sitting at the dinner table, dad had just finished the paper and he commented that he had read that one of the planes had landed with a arrow embedded between two gas tanks in the wing. Since we were the only kids in the neighborhood with a Bow and arrows, he only commented that he hoped he'd never see another article in the paper like that again and then gave us that look that told us we'd better not do it again! I didn't do it, but surmised that my next oldest brother had been the one to shoot it. He never did confirm that he was the one that shot it.

When i left to wander the world in the Army for a number of years, I came home once and couldn't stand the place. Anyway, the past is gone and the with cesspool you're now living in, you have my sympathy!

Got to go, so will check back later!
41149-a432c823d5071b98b3691a8c1814bc84.jpg

"All vets are mentally ill in some way and government should prevent them from owning firearms." Diane Feinstein, Democrat. California, 2018

I think DJ is getting numb to your jabs. It's time to turn up the heat!

Yes, if I had to live down amongst them, I would shoot them. As it is I won't see anybody I don't know for weeks at a time. The nearest stop sign is an hour away. Nearest neighbor around 2 miles.

From the picture know just about where you are at! What I can't figure out is how you get power to run a computer and a freezer in a homeless camp like that! One good thing about being on a ridge like that is that the raw sewage flows or rolls downhill by itself! I think that background shows a a dry lake where I used to go fishing for sand trout using dry flies and dehydrated grasshoppers. Never caught anything, but had to try, and came home many a day sandblasted from the wind! Basically, you are addressed in San Jose, but don't actually live there!

I spent two years at the Alameda, NAS, decommissioning (Mainly abatement on a base filled with lead paint and asbestos) the base and turning it over to the City of Alameda under a civilian contract and hated the whole area. Too many people, to tight and too hard to breath air that hadn't been breathed, belched or farte*d by someone else! It was an interesting experience though. Just one of many as I was one of the the Corporate Construction Managers and Corporate troubleshooter for a national contractor! Have lived in or been, for extended periods up to 2 years in 9 States, some states multiple times. The company was great though and when I went for extended periods, was allowed to take my wife with me, since our kids were grown up, at company expense. Was cheaper than having me fly home every two weeks, which was the corporate philosophy for extended stays for personnel. Have seen most of the U.S. at company expense. That's why I live in Arizona. Almost moved to Texas after my wife passed away, but self respect prevailed.

If you haven't done it, go back to the start of the thread and get caught up on some of the stuff DJ has tried to pull over the years. Pictures finally expired, but most of them were Photo Shopped anyway. (See proceeding post) We've had some bad times with DJ and then we've had some bad times with Dj, but he is ever consistent, sleazy though he may be.
Anyway, Welcome again and feel free to jump in and slap DJ around anytime you feel like it! He is fair game for all!

162,000 views.....Who'd of thunk it?

The only thing that kept me from becoming a Texan was self respect!...Packrat 6, 2019

I think DJ is getting numb to your jabs. It's time to turn up the heat!

Yeah,, me too, but have to admit that it is colder than a witches....chest where he lives right now. He claims that it's so cold the penguins are even walking on tiptoe, at least the males! He'd probably like me to turn up the heat. Sort of like people always ask me how I stand the summer heat in Arizona, and I just tell them I'm acclimating for the afterlife that I expect!

What you been doing? haven't seen you posting much lately!

For some reason the site is acting up again, so will close for now!

Who would have thought that we could get 162,000 views of an old f*rt, and pervert, shooting pigs!

Yeah,, me too, but have to admit that it is colder than a witches....chest where he lives right now. He claims that it's so cold the penguins are even walking on tiptoe, at least the males! He'd probably like me to turn up the heat. Sort of like people always ask me how I stand the summer heat in Arizona, and I just tell them I'm acclimating for the afterlife that I expect!

What you been doing? haven't seen you posting much lately!

For some reason the site is acting up again, so will close for now!

Who would have thought that we could get 162,000 views of an old f*rt, and pervert, shooting pigs!

Last few weeks have been pretty boring here. My wife has fallen victim to the pollens of Texas, and is having sinus issues for the first time in her life. Weekends are filled with kids activities and shopping. San Antonio traffic sucks, so we avoid going into town at all costs.

I thought I would get the month of April to myself since the wife had planned on taking the kids to visit her family in Florida, but she just learned that her 20th high school reunion will be held in August and she doesn't want to make two trip to Florida with the kids. So it looks like my alone time will have to wait until the hottest time of the year!

Looks like I'll have to book another night hunting trip soon to maintain what little sanity I have left!

r!Looks like I'll have to book another night hunting trip soon to maintain what little sanity I have left!

OK, so lets recap this statement. You come into hog hunting thread where the main character is a self admitted Photo Shopping charlatan who's only enjoyment in life is chasing down and shooting Feral hogs, then Photo Shopping them to make them look bigger, and whose life is complicated by a hoarding rodent who refuses to give him any credit for what he does! Right so far? Then you continue to come back day after day and sometimes even get involved in the conversation!

Sanity? Do you think anyone on this thread is sane? Hell, if we had anything better to do than harass each other with these postings, we'd be doing it. You can't hunt all the time, so this fills in during the interim.

Sanity?, I don't think so, but someone must love us because they keep coming back to see what we are up to now! 162,000 times! Too bad this isn't one of those sites that pays royalties.....Are you listening Len? (That was a hint!)

Anyway, glad to hear from you and to see that aside from making babies, you do have other activities to keep you occupied. Sorry about April, but look at the bright side........Hmmm guess there isn't any bright side to that! On the other hand you can be pretty assured that with her gone in August, you won't be a new Daddy next April! On second thought, Hmmm..... 20th High School reunion, old boyfriends, full moon over the water, husband back in Texas.......guess I'd better not go there!

This space for rent (Again, another hint Len!)

Last edited:
Holy crap!! I didn't realize that I had dropped in on an interstate bro-mance! I'll leave you "boys" alone for a bit so you can smooth things out together. You seem like a nice couple!!!!!;)o_O

Nah Packrat you ain't even close! Maybe a little bit close, but no cigar. NAS Alameda? Yup I know it well. The guy who taught me how to learn about hot rods and fixin' anything put in front of me was a true Master Mechanic, not the versions today that pass some online test on how to align a rear view mirror. Joe was the head of all things that moved at NAS Alameda when I was a kid. I would hang out at the shop down there whenever I could and in his shop at home the rest of the time. Alameda always brings a flood of great memories for me.
NASAlameda2_zpsc37af2f3.jpg
NASAlameda3_zpse4a1f189.jpg

We don't photo crop up here in our part of the Americas since photo crops don't produce good fiber.

What we lack in Hogs we make up for with Moose,,, did you know that more than 1 Moose is still a Moose,,, I wounder why they don't go by Moose'es,,, it sounds much better.

Any-who, here's how we enlarge things up here in our parts,,, its all about chicken wire and paper mache to inflate the size of things,,, and it actually taste pretty good. Ha

https://www.theloop.ca/ctvnews/moos...sexy-moose-statue-but-canadas-will-be-bigger/

Bigger is better you know,,, even if it's fake news. LOL

Holy crap!! I didn't realize that I had dropped in on an interstate bro-mance! I'll leave you "boys" alone for a bit so you can smooth things out together. You seem like a nice couple!!!!!;)o_O

Sorry, John, but scrmblr couldn't pass the physical I impose on my dates! Just one of the regulars that is getting frustrated because he can't hunt as much as he would like! I know the feeling, but hopefully will be heading out in about a month or so and heading for the Texas ranch after a convoluted trip first to Denver.

Nah Packrat you ain't even close! Maybe a little bit close, but no cigar. NAS Alameda? Yup I know it well. The guy who taught me how to learn about hot rods and fixin' anything put in front of me was a true Master Mechanic, not the versions today that pass some online test on how to align a rear view mirror. Joe was the head of all things that moved at NAS Alameda when I was a kid. I would hang out at the shop down there whenever I could and in his shop at home the rest of the time. Alameda always brings a flood of great memories for me.

John, the thing that made Alameda such a PIA, was Oakland, San Fran, San Jose and all the other cities and number of people around there! If it hadn't of been for the great unwashed masses and their cars, it would have been a nice place! I could have stayed in LA, if I wanted the crowds. Our contract was with the City of Alameda and I rented one of the navy Captains quarters on base with a deal I worked out with the City since housing was very expensive off base and converted the carport to an office. It worked out great for about half the cost of off base, and I didn't need to rent an office, even though the company paid the rent and utilities. Looked at the Admirals quarters, but too big for what we needed. Admirals quarters had a HUGE ballroom (sort of like 8X men's underwear on a 32" waist) for entertaining. Just too big.

One of the things that stuck in my mind was a storage building for vehicles and maintenance equipment, and the only one like it on base, that was about 120' - 180' long, 60-80' wide and about 40' tall and the entire building was made out of clear, exposed, vertical grade redwood. The support posts were like 20" x 20" CVG and the roof decking was 4" thick x 8" Tongue and Groove redwood. Even the roof trusses were Redwood. I offered to take the building down at no charge to the City, but they wouldn't let me, unless they got full salvage rights! I could have retired off the sale of that wood about 20 years early. The building is to the left rear of the headquarters building at the end of the next Westward (towards the water) running street and just past the single story machine shops but before the tall building! Drooled over that building!

I did have fun converting one of the hangers to a Disney movie set, and kept insisting that I wanted to meet Mickey Mouse, but they kept telling me that he was tied up in the L.A. basin! (Tied up? Was probably being held for ransom!) The guys I worked with from Disney were a pleasure to work with, but very demanding in their requirements. Everything had to be EXACTLY like they specified it! Caused some problems when what they requested wasn't available anymore, but we did find acceptable substitutes.

In your 2nd picture, that hanger to the far right, was converted to the Tesla Electric Car company, but I didn't work on it, and the Headquarters in the middle of the picture with the quadrangle in front, was riddled with Asbestos. Took forever to get it cleaned out. Our housing and office was off the picture to the left in the single story ranch style houses. Also, off to the left was a Sea plane hanger with a ramp down to the water. Fascinating!

OK, have written a book, so better quit for now!

Politicians and Diapers need to be changed often, and for the same reason! (See Len, you could have had an advertiser in here, very reasonably)

Last edited:
What we lack in Hogs we make up for with Moose,,, did you know that more than 1 Moose is still a Moose,,, I wounder why they don't go by Moose'es,,, it sounds much better.

Don. I hate to quibble semantics with you, but the plural of Moose is Meeses! Almost the same for Packrats, which is Mices! What you doing coming to a Hog thread? Just bored or seeing how the better half lives? big grin.gif

Where you at up North? BTW, since Moose are so much bigger than Hogs, how do you miss when shooting at them? Seems like they would fill the horizon from side to side! Actually, don't know how much bigger or smaller than an Elk they are, but I've seen people freeze up when they see an Elk and completely miss the shot!

The one Elk I shot, had a rack so big, the Forestry service showed up about a half hour later and tried to fine me for clear cutting without a permit! big grin.gif

Well, have managed to kill half an hour with these posts so got to go find something else to do! BBL

Politicians and Diapers need to be changed often, and for the same reason! (See Len, another missed chance to get an advertiser in here!)

Last edited:
BTW, that Aircraft carrier (Yorktown?) in the pictures is still there and has been converted to a tourist attraction. If you're in the area, worth seeing!

Politicians and Diapers need to be changed often, and for the same reason! (See Len, yet another chance to have had an advertiser in here, very reasonably)

BTW, that Aircraft carrier (Yorktown?) in the pictures is still there and has been converted to a tourist attraction. If you're in the area, worth seeing!

Politicians and Diapers need to be changed often, and for the same reason! (See Len, yet another chance to have had an advertiser in here, very reasonably)[/QUOTE

Pack, The Yorktown was lost in the battle of Midway.

Hornet was sister ship to the Oriskany(Oriskiny?) My buddies served on the Oriskany and were both killed after discharge in the 70's. The Oriskany was my "tie" to them whenever it was in the news, it reminded me of them. When they scuttled her to make a reef it was like I had lost them all over again.

Warning! This thread is more than 5 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Recent Posts