IMR's new line of powders....

Doublezranch

I picked up the new Hodgon 2015 annual manual the other day because it featured IMR's new line of powders. There are 3 in the family and have been tested in 41 calibers. The powders are 4166, 4451, and 7977 respectively. IMR claims they are temperature resistant, clean burning, decoppering and 100% safe for the environment.

The fastest of the 3 is 4166. That is used in the 204 Ruger to 8 x 57 Mauser.

Next is 4451 and is used in calibers from a 243 to a 500 Nitro Express.

The third is 7977 and is for 6mm-06 through the 470 Nitro Express.

They did a test with 7977 and extreme temperatures. The gun was a 7 STW and the load was 78 grains with a 160 A-frame. COAL was 3.600.The first group of 3 was shot at -15 degrees and measured 1.29 cc. The next group of 3 was at 78 degrees and measured 1.34 cc. Finally they did a group of 3 at 140 degrees (stuck the loaded rounds in a jet boil) and they measured 1.20 cc.

Although these groups won't win a F-class championship, they certainly prove that these powders are indeed temperature resistant.

Too good to be true...you be the judge!

It doesn't give a clear answer in the article. I would assume that it's aim point to furthest impact point. These loads were for testing purposes only, not for accuracy.

I seen the article too and am wanting to try some of them. The articke made things sound like the wonder powder. Anyone have any idea when they may be out?

They also had velocity and velocity difference listed. There was quite a bit of data given so I didn't list it all. That's my fault. When I get home tonight I will list velocities.

Roy...they do compare the 7977 to H1000 in a picture. I tried to find in the article were it gave a apples to apples comparison but I couldn't find it. It may be tucked away in the article at a place that I skimmed over. 4451 has a very irregular shape and each granule of powder has a hole or perforation in it. It looks very bizarre. I will post pics tonight.

My local GS has ~10lbs of 4451 on the shelf. I almost picked up 5lbs to try out... at nearly $40/lb I decided against it. I'm sorry but, it can't be that good.

I'm happy to hear IMR bringing the Enduron technology into the market, maybe they finally have something to compete with Hodgdon Extreme. Time will tell.

Drop the prices & i'll play. If not, i'm out. I understand were talking ~$30 difference over 5lbs but for an unknown/untested powder that I really don't need... eh...

t

Come on Outlaw...fill a case full of the new stuff, slam a ce bullet in the case and let her rip. You might have your new 2k yard load!!:D

Last edited:
Ok...more info!!

First the velocities... All loads were 78.0 grains of 7977 in a 7 stw shooting a 160 A-frame and a 26" tube.
-15 degrees - 2933
78 degrees - 3006
140 degrees - 3019

Next Roy's question...here's your answer.
While the burn rates of 7977 and H1000 are similar, load data for them are NOT interchangeable. Due to the addition of nitroglycerine in 7977, slightly lighter charge weights often deliver the same velocities and pressures as H1000.

Last...a picture of the powder.

Attachments

• image.jpg
    image.jpg
    67.1 KB · Views: 129
Double base, or powders with nitro, have traditionally been harder on barrels, as I understand things. I wonder if that will be true for these new powders. Something about no free lunch - higher velocity and lower barrel life.

Come on Outlaw...fill a case full of the new stuff, slam a ce bullet in the case and let her rip. You might have your new 2k yard load!!:D

Actually, I haven't launched any CEB's in a good while. After finding the 160Matrix I've been launching them exclusively. I'm already running a double based powder in N570 :cool:

Double base, or powders with nitro, have traditionally been harder on barrels, as I understand things. I wonder if that will be true for these new powders. Something about no free lunch - higher velocity and lower barrel life.

I've read SO many contradictory posts, articles etc that I'm not sure if there is a trade off or not. In all honesty, I don't care if there is. You pay to play, it's that simple.

t

Warning! This thread is more than 10 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.