Some cool new powders from IMR...

smells like single base rl25 to me... a bit late to the party if you ask me. Good to have more choices but actually having some of what's out there on the shelf would help more.

I totally agree with this.. I would just like to have some 4064.. They should get caught up and then release new powders..

I'm not sure where 4064 is made, but a lot of the powders under the Hodgdon family of powders are sourced out of Australia. The newly announce triplet of IMR powders are out of Canada. There's been some issues of getting boats full of smokeless powder over to the USA I understand. Have some powder that only has to travel across the north border is a plus I'd think. Time will tell.

The vast majority of IMR powders are made in Canada including IMR4064. The exceptions (I believe) are the newer IMR4227 and IMR4189 which are identical to their Hodgdon counterparts and are made in Australia by ADI along with the rest of the Hodgdon Extreme line of powders. If 4166 is as consistent as 4064 and is as temp insensitive, I'll be buying it by the truckload. Varget is close, but hasn't been as consistent for me at a given temp as 4064.

Matt

Just picked up 3 lbs of the IMR 4166 with an opportunity to buy an 8lb jug but passed it up due to no info other than Hodgdon website,

anybody know where it places on the burning rate chart ?

Attachments

• image.jpg
    image.jpg
    146.5 KB · Views: 79
Swamplord it looks like it falls in between R15 and varget. I would use varget starting loads and work up slow. I'd like to try this powder in my 350 Rem Mag.

Reuben

More info from the new (print version) Hodgdon reloading annual, 2015: All three are indeed double-base powders with a "proprietary" amount of nitroglycerin content. I may be wrong, but I always thought that nitroglycerin was a significant source of temperature sensitivity.

There are 3 separate articles, one for each of the new powders. From the first article about 4166, it sounds like the powders were developed in response to some tightening environmental laws in Europe, which means they must be evil!!! :D As I said earlier, if 4166 is as consistent as 4064 has been for me but gets rid of the temp sensitivity, I'll be all over it.

Matt

I just got my hands on the 2015 Hodgdon Reloading Manual. It has several articles on the new IMR powders, along with new data for those powders in various cartridges. It doesn't look like the new powders do anything of particular note, per se. It seems they are touting their temp stability, clean burning characteristics, and additives to fight copper fouling.

It will be interesting to read field reports from end users.

Got 2lb of this stuff for copper fighting features in my 220 swift.i shoot .25 groups at 100yds with h 4895 or imr 4064 pretty const.the 4166 shot 1.25 at 100yds.with 40 gr varmegedon.which is not acceptable.that was with 4 diff loads which were pretty hot.i think this powder will work better with heavier bullets and slower valocity calibers.im going to try soon in my 243 win with 55 gr bt.max load.but it did clean up wellwith little copper in barrel a couple patches of sweets 7.62 took it right out.

Warning! This thread is more than 10 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Recent Posts