Some cool new powders from IMR...

I would be tickled pink if I could find some of the old stand by powders that I did not have to hock the farm to afford when I did find them. :D

I have to get my hands on some of that 7977... It produces even better velocities than 7828 SSC. And since my velocities are ALOT faster than what they show, I should be getting about another 100 fps out of some of my rifles just swapping over to 7977. Their load velocities seem to be incredibly slow on Hodgdon's website...

smells like single base rl25 to me... a bit late to the party if you ask me. Good to have more choices but actually having some of what's out there on the shelf would help more.

I'm not so sure...I've compared the load data on it to several others...you may be right about the burn speed being RL25, but I believe its a double base powder...mainly because it also does really good with lighter bullets (140 grains)...most single base powders aren't that versatile, or energetic.

Myself, I believe its burn speed is in the range of RL22 and MRP...not quite as slow as RL25...if I'm right (IF), 7977 will fill a gap that needs filling...that is if it lives up to the advertising, there is no temp stable powder in that burn range...H1000 and Retumbo are both too slow for rounds like 280 Rem, 280 AI, and others with similar case capacities and 140 grain bullets (270 Win), and the 25-06 with 90-120 grain bullets....according to the data, 7977 is right at home there.

It'll give us a powder that doesn't need 114% load density to get good speed...being able to keep the load density below 107% is worth something.

But thats all just my hypothesis based on load data comparison...could be all wrong.

I look forward to trying 7977 in my 280 Ackley...and will happily buy a pound when I see one.

The only powders coming from under the hodgdon umbrella (that I am aware of) that are actually double base powders are the ball/spherical ones, and that's more of a manufacturing issue than them wanting to add energy to the powder with free nitroglycerin. All powder has nitro cellulose, but the powders with nitro added tend to deliver a bit more velocity as they have more energy per grain; assuming you have two powders similar enough in burn rate that you can make the comparison.

I'm not so sure...I've compared the load data on it to several others...you may be right about the burn speed being RL25, but I believe its a double base powder...mainly because it also does really good with lighter bullets (140 grains)...most single base powders aren't that versatile, or energetic.

Myself, I believe its burn speed is in the range of RL22 and MRP...not quite as slow as RL25...if I'm right (IF), 7977 will fill a gap that needs filling...that is if it lives up to the advertising, there is no temp stable powder in that burn range...H1000 and Retumbo are both too slow for rounds like 280 Rem, 280 AI, and others with similar case capacities and 140 grain bullets (270 Win), and the 25-06 with 90-120 grain bullets....according to the data, 7977 is right at home there.

It'll give us a powder that doesn't need 114% load density to get good speed...being able to keep the load density below 107% is worth something.

But thats all just my hypothesis based on load data comparison...could be all wrong.

I look forward to trying 7977 in my 280 Ackley...and will happily buy a pound when I see one.

7828 SSC is already slightly slower burning than RL22. So, I would imagine 7977 would be like what Lefty said, and closer to RL25.

I shoot 7828 SSC in '06 based cartridges, and I get awesome results and velocities.

I'm going to back seat this one; if others are getting their hands on 7977 and it's burning like rl25, producing similar vel. to rl25, and more temp. stable, I'll burn some to see if my rifles like it. If it isn't all you guys are thinking it should be, I'm not playing.

From load data on imr website looks like it will slower then H1000 but faster then retumbo. So it could prove to be a great powder, if the claims of temp. Stability true? It says it's made in a powder company out of canada, could this be better? Time will tell?

Man that 4451 looks like awesome powder for my .243 WIN! Just a tad slower than IMR 4350 which I shoot now. IMR is saying they are getting nearly 3350fps with an 85gr slug and a 24" barrel! I bet I could get 3350+ with an 87 in my 26" tube! That 100fps better than my 4350 load I'm shooting now!

Also, that 7977 with a 105 A-MAX is 3029fps with a 24" barrel. Again, my extra couple inches will allow that slow powder to burn and really get some velocity, probably close to 3075fps with a 105! Currently have only shot 100gr SPBTs through the chrony with 7828 going 3090fps. This load will probably equal that or be better, but the big thing is that it's temperature stable!!!

Warning! This thread is more than 10 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.