IMR 7977 Enduron

ms delta

Has anyone tested the IMR 7977 in a 7STW. I have the load data from hodgen's websight, seems a bit tame. I mostly shoot sierra 140 and 160 for deer and hogs. My barrel is a walker with 9 1/2 twist so I shoot The Smaller bullets. Any load data will be helpful.

As always you should be safe and work up but for the most part it should be just about identical to H1000 with anti carbon and coppering agents that make it cleaner burning.

Sorry that's all I have. Maybe someone else will have some experience with it.

Good luck and post what you find.

Great post
I have tried all the new Enduron (sp?) powders with great results.

This is where I will not try to side track your direct question. While I do not have an STW, 3 of my shooting buddies do. Without any discussions between them, each came to the conclusion that R25 has came out to give best all around results for accuracy and velocity with premium hunting bullets.

So I ask back, will the new R26 offer the temp and fouling benefits with similar properties of R25 or is a different burn rate?

STW was ahead of its time just like the 284 win, 6.5 rem mag and 350 rem mag were ahead of their time from 1963 to 1966 period. Was it 1978 when the 8mm came out and L.S. Promptly made the STW?

The perfect do everything caliber for North America. Recoil is totally manageable. It basically invented the "bean field" movement.

Hoping lots of shooters keep this great cartridge alive and prosperous .

Please post your testing results. And more importantly thank you for working with interesting cartridges.

I have some 7mmSTW 7977 test-rounds loaded up for a few years, but haven't had time to shoot them.

Last edited:
I have a case of it and just got my STW. I have heard great things about the 26, but was just wondering where I should start? I cant find a lot of info on this powder and the STW. The rifle I just bought is shooting the RL25. I have some on the way but was wondering about the 26? Thanks!

I just went to the alliant website and they have some data for R26 and 7 STW.

For a staring point, you can cross reference loads.

Then break out the chronograph and start testing.

Again, please advise us of your progress and results.

I worked with rl26 and 140's a bit in my old 10" twist barrel... It acted a bit faster than rl25 and the pressure head came on a bit quicker than I'd like... Take your time with this powder... If it matters, I still haven't bothered to switch from rl25 to rl26 in my 8" twist pipe as rl25 has been good enough for me.

I worked with rl26 and 140's a bit in my old 10" twist barrel... It acted a bit faster than rl25 and the pressure head came on a bit quicker than I'd like... Take your time with this powder... If it matters, I still haven't bothered to switch from rl25 to rl26 in my 8" twist pipe as rl25 has been good enough for me.

Lefty, I had that pressure spike , although, only when I was near my top node, with the R25, a few yesrs ago. I mean, it would go 0-60 with making little changes, but my best loads were usually quite lower. As long as I stayed in that node, she was good. I'm like you, I feel that R25, is about as good as it gets with the STW.
Great to hear from you!

I have a case of it and just got my STW. I have heard great things about the 26, but was just wondering where I should start? I cant find a lot of info on this powder and the STW. The rifle I just bought is shooting the RL25. I have some on the way but was wondering about the 26? Thanks!

I'd stay with the RL25. That stuff is just awesome. It seems like to me, and I could be wrong, but even though the 26, would seem to be slower, and I'm assuming it is, but, I'm told it is denser, and burns differently.
Not much grain for the trouble.
I Iused to burn 22, and, 7728.
But when 25 came around, tgat was a game changer.
IMHO

I bought a magazine called hodgdon 2015 annual manual reloading,from the publishers of shooting times. pg 26 Enduron tmIMR7977,written by Layne Simpson. this was back when this powder was first made. Layne test this powder with 6mm-06,25/06,6.5-284 norma,270wcf,7stw,300win mag,300 rum,338 lapua. for the 7stw he used a Ruger #1 with a 26 inch bbl. fed case,f215 primer,2 bullets 160 gn Swift a-frame & Sierras 175 gameking, these two bullets were shot at three different temperatures,i can take a digital picture if some one wants to post it . just want to add this info to our Forum ,and for the record i'm a Big fan of Alliant's reloader powders. thks

I bought a magazine called hodgdon 2015 annual manual reloading,from the publishers of shooting times. pg 26 Enduron tmIMR7977,written by Layne Simpson. this was back when this powder was first made. Layne test this powder with 6mm-06,25/06,6.5-284 norma,270wcf,7stw,300win mag,300 rum,338 lapua. for the 7stw he used a Ruger #1 with a 26 inch bbl. fed case,f215 primer,2 bullets 160 gn Swift a-frame & Sierras 175 gameking, these two bullets were shot at three different temperatures,i can take a digital picture if some one wants to post it . just want to add this info to our Forum ,and for the record i'm a Big fan of Alliant's reloader powders. thks
Layne, Simpson is my hero, so to speak. His brain storm, gave us STW, lovers something that would shoot, and with some class. I remember thst day, as if it where yesterday.
I knew I had to have one, and haven't been the same since.
When she barks, she'll get your attention.

I have used RL25 extensively for several years in a 300 Canadian (immediate predecessor to the 300 RUM) with good velocity coupled with accuracy. For my 7STW built on a Blaser 93 I have had good success with H1000. Because of temperature differences often exceeding 50+ degrees from where I live to the mountain ranges of Asia temperature stability is something I can not ignore. I am limited in the weight of bullets I can utilize as the only offered twist is 9 1/2, nevertheless with 150 gr bullets I am able to easily achieve loading manul maximum velocities with loads under those recommended - I usually find just the opposite. Several other 7STW owners that I know also use H1000 and are more than satisfied with their results.

Warning! This thread is more than 7 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.