IMR 7828 in 338 RUM anybody?

sambo3006

I'm awaiting the arrival of a BDL LH 338 RUM, and trying to decide on a powder. The slowest I have on hand is IMR 7828 (and RL 22). This powder works well in my 7STW, 264 WM and 25-06. I will be shooting the 225 gr Accubond. I'd like to use this powder for convenience sake. Like to hear your results with it. I will probably get some H1000 or Retumbo at some point If I decide to use a heavier bullet.
Also, I have some 180 gr Ballistic tips. Would these turn a deer into red mist? If so, I won't use them, or perhaps they could be shot at lower velocity. Thanks, Sam

Sambo,
I have been shooting Barnes 210grn TSX out of my 338rum. (HS Precision) They shot considerably better than swift sciroccos or 200grn noslers bt's. I'm averaging 3250fps with 92gr of RL22. I have not tried the 225 accubonds in it yet. However, both the 225 TSX and the 210 TSX out of my 338 Kubla Kahn (built by Kirby "fiftydriver") shoot better than the accubond 225s. I did try 7828 with the 210 TSX, but had better results with RL 22 and retumbo.

As for the 180gr noslers....... I used to load them in my 338-378 at around 3600fps. These were used to dispatch an elk, a black bear and numerous whitetails. I did recover some of the bullets which most had only 50% or less weight retention. But, the impact of these bullets are impressive as they dump a lot energy very quickly. All the animals shot with this bullet were killled quickly and cleanly, and the internal damage was awsome! All that said........other than maybe for whitetails or other small game I think a tougher bullet is a better choice for the kind of velocity you will get from your 338rum.

Thanks for the info! I'll have to get some of the 210 gr Barnes TSX. I'll also try some of the RL22. I shot an elk with the Barnes 210 gr XBT back in 1996 at about 3000 fps from my 338WM. Through the back of both shoulders at 60 or so yards. I could barely force my finger into the exit hole. That seemed like too tough a bullet for my taste. I know one shot is not a fair test of bullet performance, but it seems like it should have expanded more than that at 2900 fps+ impact velocity.
Anyone shot the Sierra gameking 215 or 250 gr?

Warning! This thread is more than 19 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Recent Posts