IMR 4831 vs H4831sc

SLIVER

Currently using IMR 4831 in a 300WSM, and see the H4831sc is a popular choice for this caliber and yields a little more velocity. Other than it being short cut, what is the difference in these two powders, and should I switch to H4831sc?

Thanks for your knowledge, hope to repay in the future as I gain my own.

))--SLIVER-->

Sliver,

Despite the similarity in nomenclature, they're completely different powders, with IMR 4831 being substantially faster than the Hodgdon variants. Don't treat them as the same powder, as they most certainly are not.

The fact that the H4831 is indeed a slower burning powder is precisely why you're seeing higher velocities obtained with that powder, as opposed to what you've seen with the IMR stuff. Also good powder, but somewhat better suited to slightly smaller cases with a bit less capacity.

Yup,

IMR4831 and H4831SC are different. Where you might be confusing it and thinking that it is close is H4831 and H4831SC are very similar. Those two are pretty much the same except H4831SC is made to smaller grains so it meters easier.

I use H4831SC with my 25-06 with heavier bullets with great success.

Sliver,
The fact that the H4831 is indeed a slower burning powder is precisely why you're seeing higher velocities obtained with that powder, as opposed to what you've seen with the IMR stuff. Also good powder, but somewhat better suited to slightly smaller cases with a bit less capacity.

I would disagree with the smaller cases part. I use H4831SC in a 300 Winchester Magnum and a 378 Weatherby Magnum with excellent results.

Though IMR 4831 and H4831SC are different powders, you will find that in many instances, where one of them is listed the other will be as well. Also, you'll find there is a fairly consistent relationship between them in regards to listed loads. That means the knowledgable handloader can, with some extrapolation, find a starting load when only one is listed for a particular cartridge.

I would disagree with the smaller cases part. I use H4831SC in a 300 Winchester Magnum and a 378 Weatherby Magnum with excellent results.

Though IMR 4831 and H4831SC are different powders, you will find that in many instances, where one of them is listed the other will be as well. Also, you'll find there is a fairly consistent relationship between them in regards to listed loads. That means the knowledgable handloader can, with some extrapolation, find a starting load when only one is listed for a particular cartridge.

This is just an opinion so don't take it personal.

The 300 win and 378 are not considered "Small" cases. the fact that IMR4831 is a little faster.
means that with cases that hold 50 or 60 grains of powder they may benefit from IMR 4831
over H4831.

Also I would never recomend "Extrapolation" of any powder from one to the next just because
they are simular. Different powders react differently to the same componants. Loading books are
to cheep and easy to find. they are allways conservative so they are a safe way to start and work
up changing only one component at a time.

Be safe, Not sorry.

J E CUSTOM

I am a real fan of the H4831 powder. I get great velocity and accuracy out of any caliber I have tried it in. From the 25-06 up to the 338 it is my go to powder of choice. I try all types of powders when working up loads, but the H4831 always seems to come out on top for accuracy and velocity when the case is of the 06 class or larger. IMR powders also preform well for me with one notable exception. All the chrongraphing I have done with them indicates the velecity is consistant above 32 degrees but starts to vary once the temp starts to drop. The closer to zero I get the more they vary. I have seen as much as 250 fps in a 10 shot string with my 243 and 223 in the winter time around here. Have not seen this with some of the other powders.

Like Kevin and JE said, IMR4831 and H4831 are different powders. Consult your loading manual and work up your load safely.

H4831 and H4831sc are close to the same, but it never hurts to back down and work up safely.

In fact, it's even a good idea to back down and work up safely when you go from one lot to another lot of the same powder.

Be safe and have fun.
-- richard

Warning! This thread is more than 12 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.