I'm NEVER cleaning my 300 WM again!!

Well, Not literally but.... Let me explain.
I have about 700 rounds through a custom with a Bartlien M24 contour 1-9 twist 5R. When I clean it I struggle to shoot under MOA at 100 yds. After I shoot 20-30 rounds through it it will shoot well under half inch and in some cases I have shot just over .25 inch groups at 100 yds
I use Bore Tech carbon remover so I can leave some copper in the barrel but no matter how little I clean or what I use my groups get huge after that. So until it starts puking copper to the end of my barrel or my groups open up again I am not going to clean it.
I knew a guy that said he would not clean his guns (barrels) until his groups started to opened up again bc we are the one that do over 90% of the damage to our barrels from accidents while cleaning and improper cleaning..... He is one of the best shooters I know/seen.
Does anyone have an explanation on why this is? I have seen it in rifles with several thousands rounds through them but nothing under a 1k.
Thanks

This is really ironic, I just put together a .300 Win Mag with a Bartlein 1-9" twist Heavy Palma. For the first 100 rounds or so I could hardly get it to shoot MOA. I cleaned quite a bit in the beginning as part of the break in, I now have 150 rounds down it and haven't cleaned for the last 50 rounds or so. I am now able to shoot 1/2 minute groups with it. Interesting...

That's one reason I haven't tried CFE
I want to leave the copper in the barrel.
I wonder if it builds up in the grooves
and gives you a better angle than 90 degrees

This is a good video talking about why some people will leave copper fouling in their barrels. It gets a little technical... But I seem to enjoy the technical stuff. :)

Last edited by a moderator:
Warning! This thread is more than 9 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Recent Posts