I'm looking for information on recent Winchesters

epoletna

I'm looking for information on modern Winchesters, specifically those made in South Carolina in the past decade. I am pretty familiar with pre-64 Model 70s, and I like them. Call me weird, but I like the Controlled Round Feed and the look for the older Winnies.

But these new rifles are totally foreign to me. I see they have CRF, but how are they in other details compared to pre-64 Winnies?

Any thoughts, experience, would be appreciated. Thanks.

I'm looking for information on modern Winchesters, specifically those made in South Carolina in the past decade. I am pretty familiar with pre-64 Model 70s, and I like them. Call me weird, but I like the Controlled Round Feed and the look for the older Winnies.

But these new rifles are totally foreign to me. I see they have CRF, but how are they in other details compared to pre-64 Winnies?

Any thoughts, experience, would be appreciated. Thanks.
The only thing I can say is that when Winchester went under Browning took them over. We didn't have a positive experience from Browning when trying to get repair work on original Winchester rifles.
Love the original model 70 Winchester. Still have one in .325 WSM-Ultimate Shadow SS 24". Trigger adjustment has to be done physically (filing down sear) Shoots 1/2" MOA that I will probably go before it leaves our house. Great shooting and my most liked hunting rifle. You want CRF when it counts!

I have a new haven made 70 and had another new haven made 70 previously. I'm sure new haven put out some good ones but the last few years they were there, they had some significant barrel issues. From what understand, the South Carolina 70s had a good reputation and more preferred among model 70 enthusiast than the Portuguese 70s. Im sure there's folks who have good shooting 70s that came from all three facilities, but like I said, the S.C. facility seems to be touted as having the best reputation when they were made there.

I think the 1990 to about 2002 New Haven mfd CRF were best. That trigger was far better with greater pull weight range than the MOA trigger, in my opinion. I own a 2001 300 WSM Featherweight stock that is a phenomenal rifle. I have shot 0.16 moa at 300 yards with it, once so far. I have read positive reviews on the FN South Carolina mfd rifles. I know some guys that have Portugese mfd rifles that are equal shooters to NH and SC rifles. I also own a 2019 Portugese .264 WM Super Grade and its fit and finish are absolutely Super Grade. It remains unfired and I still have the box. I would only be hesitant to buy New Haven rifles mfd from about 2003 to 2006.

I have a few of the Portuguese made Model 70's, missed out on the only SC made model by about a day.
The quality is far superior to those made in NH, I have several of those too, and the Portuguese models are definitely sleeker and smoother in the bolt throw.
I prefer the older trigger too, but the MoA trigger does what it's supposed to do with no creep and very little backlash.

Cheers.

I have a Model 70 Alaskan Stainless in 375H&H made in SC. It is very well made, shoots well and very comparable to my Model 70 Classic Stainless made in New Heaven. I added the muzzle brake

Attachments

• IMG_0956D.JPG
    IMG_0956D.JPG
    2.3 MB · Views: 13
Nice looking rifle, asd9055!
I saw it in the catalog in 2012. Ordered it and waited for a year to be manufactured. Right after I got it, it was discontinued. I love it. I have another one with "plastic" stock made in New Heaven before that factory closed down.
I have a soft spot for Win M70 CRF, have a bunch of New Heaven ones

Recent Posts