I'm going Black bear hunting

Dave King

I\'m going Black bear hunting

I'm leaving in the morning for a Black Bear hunt in Alberta. Gonna be gone for better than a week and I'll sure miss stopping in here to read the latest posts.

Not too long a distance to shoot for the bears, I've been told we'll be about 15 yards away while we're on our stands. I also believe we'll be able to amble around in other areas looking for targets of opportunity. The outfitter had expressed a desire to try long range shooting so I'm packing along 80 rounds of match ammo for my 308. He is apparently scheduled for a Marco Polo (?) sheep hunt in Mongolia next year and wants to have an edge in the shooting department. I believe I'll recommend a 7mm Dakota to him, seems like a popular cartridge for sheep folks.

I may need to stop up and give him some remedial long range classes before his trip in exchange for an Alberta whitetail hunt or two.

[ 05-11-2001: Message edited by: Dave King ]

Dave King

Re: I\'m going Black bear hunting

Finished the hunt and had a great time. Charly and I both got 2 bears. The Outfitter really fell in love with long range shooting and he has a great place right at his home for practicing.

I believe I'll be back up here hunting deer this September. North River Outfitters in Alberta owned by Ron Nemetchek seems like a good bet for the Long Range hunter if you're interested in Whitetail Deer (800 443-6753 and speak with Sue or call directly to Ron and talk about long range opportunities at 780 675-1942).

More on this hunt later.

Trending threads

Nightforce has great tracking capabilities, they are rugged, a bunch of elevation, holds zero forever, and reticles are designed for long range shooting. So if you are looking to shoot long distances constantly, then you need a scope that can take the abuse. -- gilmillan1

Culture Of Excellence At Nightforce Optics
By Len Backus

A high level of quality both in production and in service. Read More

Nightforce is such a solid combo of reticle, available elevation, glass that is good enough to shoot at the longest range you can dial. Nightforce has bullet proof construction that can handle the incidental horse rolling or some other rodeo action. -- bigngreen

Nightforce ATACR Scope Review
By Jeff Brozovich

The new NightForce ATACR is for sure a top choice for any long range shooter. Read More

The total package. Nightforce is the best I have used as far as turret feel and solid detents. I have never had one that didn't track right on and always return to zero. Nightforce NXS is the best value for everything I need. -- Broz

Nightforce Velocity 1000 Reticle Review
By Scott Shreve

I think Nightforce knocked it outta the park with this reticle! Read More

NightForce