I'm beside my self, if I only I could kick my self in the BUTT

So yeah after all the council and guidance from everyone on here I head out today to break in my barrel. 6 boxes of HSM trophy gold 185 gr Bergers 300 win. Umm yeah so break in was almost 3 hours followed the break in from precision magazine, takes 50 rounds with some serious cleaning rod work involved. I finally get to zero after letting my barrel cool, had to wait about 5 min between each shot so my barrel could cool down, an hour or so later I finally get a sub MOA group bench rested on a lead sled, I'm super pumped! Wait for it! I put my turret back on and it moves past zero stop, I'm thinking what the heck is my turret broken, of course not! my dumb @$$ failed to bottom out my turret before taking it off. Yeah I just said that. I shot 3 boxes of ammo today at almost $50 a box. So incase anyone gets frustrated and wants to call it quits when it comes to preparing for season just think about this screw up. I'm headed back out tomorrow morning to put this thing to bed once and for all.

Don't feel bad. At least you are not working with a newly designed factory cartridge, with an experimental barrel, on a build that has extremely tight tolerance. Had to shave material to facilitate thermal expansion. Still not sure my scope is tracking 100%. It's sub moa at 100yards with cheap factory loads, but still shooting a 1moa flyer out of five shots..

If you remember the beer, it doesn't matter what else you forgot. Some of what you forgot you may never realize.

So yeah after all the council and guidance from everyone on here I head out today to break in my barrel. 6 boxes of HSM trophy gold 185 gr Bergers 300 win. Umm yeah so break in was almost 3 hours followed the break in from precision magazine, takes 50 rounds with some serious cleaning rod work involved. I finally get to zero after letting my barrel cool, had to wait about 5 min between each shot so my barrel could cool down, an hour or so later I finally get a sub MOA group bench rested on a lead sled, I'm super pumped! Wait for it! I put my turret back on and it moves past zero stop, I'm thinking what the heck is my turret broken, of course not! my dumb @$$ failed to bottom out my turret before taking it off. Yeah I just said that. I shot 3 boxes of ammo today at almost $50 a box. So incase anyone gets frustrated and wants to call it quits when it comes to preparing for season just think about this screw up. I'm headed back out tomorrow morning to put this thing to bed once and for all.
18 series?
We stoped 'breaking in' barrels in 2011. I suppose it's like breaking in an engine. You can find a lot of engineers that say to and a lot that say it's not needed. AMG engineers say now it's just done on their vehicles to force the driver to learn the vehicle before smashing the peddle down. We also stopped using copper remover maybe do it per year for school house guns or once we think it's accuracy is bad. It'll shoot loose for about 20 rounds but it's not like back in the day where we were taught to clean copper every week.

I still break mine in. Some Mfgrs still put it in the manual that comes with the rifle. A custom hand lapped barrel still has machine marks in the throat where the reamer cut it. Some detailed polishing of the throat and leade with JB bore paste can reduce how long it takes.

Years ago a friend showed up at Elk Camp without the bolt for his Rifle. When he arrived I asked him "where's the bolt for your gun" He thought I was joking around.
Long story short he used the old better camp gun with iron sights and killed the only elk.

Warning! This thread is more than 5 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.