I'm beside my self, if I only I could kick my self in the BUTT

So yeah after all the council and guidance from everyone on here I head out today to break in my barrel. 6 boxes of HSM trophy gold 185 gr Bergers 300 win. Umm yeah so break in was almost 3 hours followed the break in from precision magazine, takes 50 rounds with some serious cleaning rod work involved. I finally get to zero after letting my barrel cool, had to wait about 5 min between each shot so my barrel could cool down, an hour or so later I finally get a sub MOA group bench rested on a lead sled, I'm super pumped! Wait for it! I put my turret back on and it moves past zero stop, I'm thinking what the heck is my turret broken, of course not! my dumb @$$ failed to bottom out my turret before taking it off. Yeah I just said that. I shot 3 boxes of ammo today at almost $50 a box. So incase anyone gets frustrated and wants to call it quits when it comes to preparing for season just think about this screw up. I'm headed back out tomorrow morning to put this thing to bed once and for all.
I did this on a PST II. I was able to take the turret off, note where the zero stop was, bottom it out, loosen the zero stop spin it back up to zero, tighten it up and then put the turret back on. It has the RAZR zero stop system. Not sure what scope you are running, but you may be able to save yourself some ammo if you do it this way.

Had a friend who elk hunted with us. Every year he forgot something. The last hunt we were on he forgot well over half his gear. Sadly, now he can hardly remember anyone and is in his wife's care 24-7.
Grabs the heart on that bro,carve that friend and his wife a few elk steaks or invite them over for a elk spread dinner.Let them take the leftovers home with a smile and hardy handshake.

Ahhh, the lessons of experience, that keep repeating themselves. I usually don't check for my range keys until I get there.

I got to the range one day after driving 45 minutes to test different rounds for a new .22lr only to find I left my bolt at home, drove 45 minutes home, turned on the tele & stayed there o_O

S@#t happens mate, but at least you got it run in right ;)
Been there... done that too...lol

One year I drove 6 hours into upstate Pennsylvania only to find that I hadn't brought ammo. I was no where near a store to buy any. I took the rifle out of the hard case and rejectedly tossed the case into the back of the truck. One round rolled out it. I was still in business. I was Barney Fife with one round. I did get a shot and harvested a spike. Mistakes are a valuable part of learning.

The worst thing I forgot to date was the rope to hold the tent poles in place. It would be the tent in my avatar. It just so happened that one of the guys that were on the hunt had brought a lot of rope and we had some ratchet straps. So after laughing at my own mistake we had the tent up and enjoyed the hunt.

When I was younger and a more aggressive hunter I hunted public land near Williamsport PA. Went really early to get a good parking spot and was the first one in. There was a Marlin 336 in 35 leaning on a tree there. I put it in the truck, hunted all day and came out late and no one there. I still have it 35 years later.

I went hunting up in Peck Idaho. Got set before sunrise on a bluff above a wheat field. As the deer started moving at sunup i picked one out. I ranged her @ 432 yards. Grabbed my rifle turned the turret to adjust for distance and it just spun and spun. When id sighted it in days earlier I failed to set the set screws. Luckily after things settled down I drove 50 minutes up the Clearwater close to Orifino to an Ace Hardware Store. He had an allen wrench set small enough for my Nightforce scope. Went back up. Resighted my rifle and that evening got my deer.
WHEW! Trip salvaged.

So yeah after all the council and guidance from everyone on here I head out today to break in my barrel. 6 boxes of HSM trophy gold 185 gr Bergers 300 win. Umm yeah so break in was almost 3 hours followed the break in from precision magazine, takes 50 rounds with some serious cleaning rod work involved. I finally get to zero after letting my barrel cool, had to wait about 5 min between each shot so my barrel could cool down, an hour or so later I finally get a sub MOA group bench rested on a lead sled, I'm super pumped! Wait for it! I put my turret back on and it moves past zero stop, I'm thinking what the heck is my turret broken, of course not! my dumb @$$ failed to bottom out my turret before taking it off. Yeah I just said that. I shot 3 boxes of ammo today at almost $50 a box. So incase anyone gets frustrated and wants to call it quits when it comes to preparing for season just think about this screw up. I'm headed back out tomorrow morning to put this thing to bed once and for all.

Well, at least you know the gun is capable. So it's not a waste really, just a set back.

As I admit to my age ,soon to be 62, I find it easier to write a list over a few days so not to forget anything. Then I'll assemble my gear ,in on spot near the door , check over my list, load the truck, then spend the next half hour looking for my keys.....s#it happens.......
It was cold in the stand so I was searching for my other glove when my son noticed and pointed out that the "other" glove was on my other hand. A doe stepped out at 200yds and I dropped her with my EDGE: results is all that matters, how you get there is all part of the joy of being in the woods.

I have on occasion, lent credence to the theory that I have sh#t for brains. It's not hard to do when you've at the range with toilet paper sticking out of you're ears !!!! Makes my mom proud ! rsbhunter

Last edited:

A bullet down the battle is a bullet down the barrel why the h311 break in a barrel with $50 / box ammo?

Break it in with $20-25/ box stuff.

Warning! This thread is more than 5 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.