I'll ask the experts

fr3db3ar

That's you guys by the way :D. I just picked up a .223 with 1 in 9 twist. What weight bullet is a good place to start with that rate? I know the 1 in 14s usually start around 55 gr or so. I know in .22 lr that 1.9 is needed to keep the 60 gr bullets from tumbling quickly. So I'm thinking 60 to 70 is a good rate for this but I don't know for sure.

I'm sure some of you long range guys are shooting .223 at least occasionally and reloading...so I thought I'd come here for some good advice.

Thanks.

Any of the lighter bullets (40-55gr) should shoot just fine, with the caveat that you might not want to push the really light ones to max velocity through a fast(ish) twist barrel. The 68-70gr bullets should shine as far as a combination of accuracy and down-range performance in the wind. Depending on the rifle, some folks have gotten the Hornady 75gr A-Max to stabilize in a 1-9 tw. barrel, but that seems to be a little hit or miss - depends on the gun. Anything heavier/ longer than that, and you're going to want to get a faster (1-8, or 1-7 tw) barrel on there.

Warning! This thread is more than 15 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Recent Posts