Ignition Issue?

merbeau

I have a 204 Ruger that I have been trying to find a load for. I am using Sierra 39 grain bullet and have found several powders including H414, CFE 223 and IMR 4064. All are showing vertical stringing like show in the attachment. The rifle was pillar bedded by my gunsmith. I have checked the scope mounts and all are tight. I use a Bald Eagle F class front rest and leaf sand bag rest for the back.

I am currently using CCI BR4 primers and have seen where some shooters think a mangum primer may be necessary and can vertical stringing.

Any suggestions?

Thanks
Robert

Attachments

• stringing.JPG
    stringing.JPG
    242.3 KB · Views: 75
Your BR4 primer is basically a magnum SR primer.
The primer cup thickness is supposedly the only difference in SR primers. BR4, 450 and 7.5 are the thickest followed by Fed 205.
which should be used in a cartridge like your 204. I use Rem 7.5 and 450 in all my SR stuff, try a different primer and see how that works if that doesnt I know my son in law has good luck with a little faster powder like IMR 4895 or H4895 in his 204's

Hi LSherm

Thank you for the reply. I have tried IMR 4895 IMR 4064, RL15, CFE 223 and TAC; all of which will give good groups but show the stringing effect. I have performed a ladder test using DFE 223 by varying the charges 0.1 grain aat +/_ 0.4 grains on either side of the best load and still the same phenomenon.

I like your advice on trying a different primer. I ahve some WW small rifle primers and will try those.

Thanks
Robert

Warning! This thread is more than 5 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.