Chronograph Issue

zacii

I took my Caldwell chronograph out to test some 6.5 Creedmoor loads. First two I got an error message. So I tried my .223. Two shots through it, both seemed to get good numbers 3200 ish. Then I tried my 6.5 Creed again. 8800 FPS. What the heck? Next two shots I get error codes. Tried another .223 and it reads fine. Frustrated, I packed up and went home. Why would one cartridge work and another not?

Any ideas?

I took my Caldwell chronograph out to test some 6.5 Creedmoor loads. First two I got an error message. So I tried my .223. Two shots through it, both seemed to get good numbers 3200 ish. Then I tried my 6.5 Creed again. 8800 FPS. What the heck? Next two shots I get error codes. Tried another .223 and it reads fine. Frustrated, I packed up and went home. Why would one cartridge work and another not?

Any ideas?

You sure there's a problem with the chronograph? From what I've heard, 8800 fps is about right for the 6.5 Creedmoor... ;)

I used optical chronies for years with good success, until I could finally afford a LabRadar, but wonky readings and errors were considered "you get what you pay for".

Because an optical chrony relies on the set distance between the two sensors, consistent readings require consistent setups.

1) Make sure to set it out far enough to avoid any muzzle blast effects, which IMO, were the #1 cause of error readings.

2) Carefully align the bullet path to the same height above the sensors every time (I made marks on the sky screen poles at the correct height for the scope-over-bore offset to send the bullet 3" above the sensors). Too high or too low can result in errors and/or inconsistent velocity readings. Different rifle/scope heights required different setup heights to maintain the same bullet to chronograph distance.

3) ALWAYS use the sky screens, regardless of light conditions.

4) Make sure to keep the sensors clean and free of dust/debris.

5) Ensure the chrony is parallel to the bore, both in the tilt and rotation axis. That meant actually using a bubble level or iPhone level on the barrel (while pointed to the target) and chrony, and matching the two bubble positions. Then sighting down the chrony to ensure it was not rotated at all.

6) Use a tape measure or piece of pre-cut string to make sure the chrony was the exact same distance from the muzzle every time. I chose 15' out, to avoid muzzle blast issues as mentioned above.

If you're already doing most/all of the above, it may be time to contact Caldwell and send her back to the mothership...

You sure there's a problem with the chronograph? From what I've heard, 8800 fps is about right for the 6.5 Creedmoor... ;)

I used optical chronies for years with good success, until I could finally afford a LabRadar, but wonky readings and errors were considered "you get what you pay for".

Because an optical chrony relies on the set distance between the two sensors, consistent readings require consistent setups.

1) Make sure to set it out far enough to avoid any muzzle blast effects, which IMO, were the #1 cause of error readings.

2) Carefully align the bullet path to the same height above the sensors every time (I made marks on the sky screen poles at the correct height for the scope-over-bore offset to send the bullet 3" above the sensors). Too high or too low can result in errors and/or inconsistent velocity readings. Different rifle/scope heights required different setup heights to maintain the same bullet to chronograph distance.

3) ALWAYS use the sky screens, regardless of light conditions.

4) Make sure to keep the sensors clean and free of dust/debris.

5) Ensure the chrony is parallel to the bore, both in the tilt and rotation axis. That meant actually using a bubble level or iPhone level on the barrel (while pointed to the target) and chrony, and matching the two bubble positions. Then sighting down the chrony to ensure it was not rotated at all.

6) Use a tape measure or piece of pre-cut string to make sure the chrony was the exact same distance from the muzzle every time. I chose 15' out, to avoid muzzle blast issues as mentioned above.

If you're already doing most/all of the above, it may be time to contact Caldwell and send her back to the mothership...
True.

Bro buy a garmin….trust me.

Optical chronos are very susceptible to ambient light. What were the light conditions and were you using the screens?

Optical chronos are very susceptible to ambient light. What were the light conditions and were you using the screens?
It was bright sunshine.

Forgive me if I don't know what you mean by the 'screens'. If you mean the white tops that have LED tights in them, then yes I was using them, but without the lights on.

It was bright sunshine.

Forgive me if I don't know what you mean by the 'screens'. If you mean the white tops that have LED tights in them, then yes I was using them, but without the lights on.
Yes. In bright sunshine I use the screens on mine( shooting chrony). I dont typically have issues unless it's early or late. The other thing
Mine is sensitive to battery power. I use a fresh battery and disconnect it when I put it away.