If I were a long range hunter ......

Mr Humble

Being an old geezer and bowhunter, I consider 300 yards a long shot on big game.
Varmints, steel, paper and terrorists are another matter.

Put together this toy "on the cheap" Thanks to Scott up in Driggs and some lucky swapping. Started with a 6.5x284 Savage F class single shot. Added a new bolt face and quite heavy 3 groove 36" Nitrided barrel and a 4-28x56 IOR scope. 300 gr Bergers @2850 will hold 1/2 moa to 600 (as far as I've shot it). Likes both RL33 and Retumbo.

Yes you cannot unload a loaded round w/o removing the bolt. That has not been a problem. Cartridge is 338 RUM as cheaper than Lapua and bolt gun does not need any body taper as Lapua has to function in semi/full auto applications.

Bought the new heavy duty lead sled as even at 20 pounds, shooting it off bags give me a sore neck and have destroyed three bipods as between the twist (torque) of that long bullet and just recoil nothing can stand up to it.

Kinda silly but there are no pockets in a shroud.

Add a brake,i shoot my edge off a harris bipod all the time with a 300gr Berger and it has a 32" straight 1" barrel on it.Haven't had any problems with the braking the bipod.

You can't add a brake to a nitrided barrel, it's too hard.

I dislike brakes as you can't wear enough hearing protection, especially while hunting, to protect you. They also make you no friends at the shooting range.

Most PHs will not allow hunters to use braked rifles as hearing is more important than recoil.

Not like I'm ever going to hunt big game with it anyway. My Savage 9.3x62, will kill anything that lives in Wyoming.

Thanks for the advice.

Looks like it should work on whatever target you choose. A good break should tame it a bit. Less wear and tear on you, and the equipment.

Try some of the lightweight bullets for kicks, or lack of. The 180 Accubonds work great on chucks at 3500 plus, from my 26" RUM.

You can't add a brake to a nitrided barrel, it's too hard.

I dislike brakes as you can't wear enough hearing protection, especially while hunting, to protect you. They also make you no friends at the shooting range.

Most PHs will not allow hunters to use braked rifles as hearing is more important than recoil.

Not like I'm ever going to hunt big game with it anyway. My Savage 9.3x62, will kill anything that lives in Wyoming.

Thanks for the advice.
Carbide tooling cuts nitrided surfaces quite easily.

Suggest you t/w Scott up in Driggs, after all he did build the rifle and said even engraving the cartridge on the bbl eats up a carbide router bit.

Besides which I don't anything to do with brakes. I'm deaf enough already from six decades of shooting, two of which consisted of no ear protection, some cotton in ear or a reversed 45 ACP case. USAF pistol teams shooting 3 gun for 6 years before good plugs and muffs existed, 10 years of indoor 22 RF w/nothing and 5 more years of High Power rifle (M-1) with cotton is not the way to go. "What ?" "Huh ?" "Say again !" "Turn down that **** TV!" and so on.

Killed my speed goat this year at 35 paces with a 1900 Mauser Werke M96 6.5x55 built for the Swedes, given to the Danes and used to kill Nazis.
When you can hear Antelope vocalizing to one another, that's my kind of hunting.

Long range shooting is fun, that's why I built the 338 RUM.

Next year if I draw a goat I'll probably take this. Equal to 44 Magnum with a 320 gr bullet and shoots 5 in 1.5" in @ 100 yds. Making it hard is part of my enjoyment.

I already have first hand experience cutting nitrided steel with carbide tooling many times, don't think I need to contact anyone about machining that which I've not had problems with. Router bits and boring tools/turning tools are two different critters. Cut through the hard surface layer and you're back to the parent material which will then cut with H.S. tooling. I post only to clarify that yes, nitrided barrels can be recrowned or a break can be fit, if the customer desires such work, not to start an arguement. I deepened a bolt nose counter bore for proper clearance with an carbide inserted boing bar on a nitrided barrel, no sweat. It is common knowledge in the gunsmith/machinist trades.

I only know what I was told. Suggest you take it up with Scott.

Immaterial to me as I HATE MUZZLE BRAKES.

Winchester and Browning killed the excellent BOSS tuning system by making it a brake. By the time they figured out that a non vented end was better the damage had been done.

It's become another signature item for the tactical cool crowd and IME has no place on any rifle that will be taken afield to hunt big game.

I've seen and felt the horror of the Savage 338 Lapua with it's giant brake.

Don't get me started on the subject of what is possible and what is fair chase hunting.

I like the site for its technical information. Reason enough to be here.

I only know what I was told.

You don't know everything you were told.

You don't know a muzzle brake can be installed on a barrel that has been nitrided and you were told that by someone who has done it. And BTW that is technical information.

Mr Humble;1023017 Don't get me started on the subject of what is possible and what is fair chase hunting. [/QUOTE said:
Don't get you started aren't you the OP? Only know what you're told, but can't absorb any new info? You brought the claim you own it, why in the world would anybody backtrack to your gunsmith?

I'm at the point of how do I get you stopped?

Well you said you were a geezer at the beginning.

That's my last word on it, you can hold court as long as you wish, I'm done.

"Only know what you're told, but can't absorb any new info? You brought the claim you own it, why in the world would anybody backtrack to your gunsmith?"

Lemme see..... I got the info from the smith who built the rifle, it was new information that I absorbed. Now you come along as an expert and want me to absorb your contrary info and discard his.

I don't know you from Adam, have no idea how many rifles with nitrided barrels you have built but I should toss out the information from a man who has built one helluva a lot. If mine is a fair indication of his workmanship and results, I'll stick with him.

Anyone on the Internet can say whatever they want and claim to be anyone they want. If in fact you are a rifle builder of his caliber, I would think you would want to share your knowledge with him. Back in my day that was called common courtesy.

BTW, the idea was to share the rifle with other members not get in a pizzing contest over metal treatments.

So, I'll share another ancient (1948) totally obsolete rifle, with an almost as obsolete scope, shooting a obsolete cartridge (1920) that will still shoot sub MOA groups out to 600 yards. (Checkered at Weatherby and two trips to Perry)

Warning! This thread is more than 10 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Recent Posts