If I can't hand load, which factory load?

Discussion in 'Long Range Hunting & Shooting' started by ControlledAnger, May 30, 2015.

1. ControlledAnger

ControlledAnger Member

This is for a 7mm wsm. in a savage with stock barrel (24" with 1-9.5" twist)

Hornady Superformance 7mm Rem Mag 139 Grain GMX SPF
    Muzzle velocity - 3,240

Any others you guys would recommend?

2. rooster721

rooster721 Well-Known Member

I've shot very little factory ammo the last 15 years, but the stuff I have shot was Nosler Trophy Grade (in a couple calibers) and was shot right out to 940 yards with excellent results far as accuracy goes..

(If) it is long range you're wanting to do, and are asking about consistencies in loaded factory ammo... the Nosler Trophy Grade line is loaded pretty tight. In a pinch, that's the stuff ( I ) would turn to.

3. roninflag

roninflag Well-Known Member

how far? at what?

4. Rick Richard

Rick Richard Well-Known Member

That is a tough question to answer, but I would begin with several different PREMIUM factory loads to see what your gun likes. Again, PREMIUM ammo is the key to get to something that will best produce consistent accuracy. This the avenue most custom builders take when they are guaranteeing an accuracy statement using factory loads.

Good luck. RR

5. 6x6 elk

6x6 elk Well-Known Member

I've had great luck with the Barnes Vor-Tex ammunition. My 7mm rem mag liked the 150 gr tipped triple shocks.

6. 86alaskan

86alaskan Well-Known Member

well, 7wsm or Rem Mag, which is it?? I would go with a premium as well. I started with Federal Premium Safari grade when I got my 338WM, then started reloading. I was good ammo with good brass that I still load for my hunting loads, it's Nickel plated.

7. ControlledAnger

ControlledAnger Member

Sorry its a 7mm rem mag, not sure why I typed wsm above lol.

Anyway thanks for the replies so far.

8. The Oregonian

The Oregonian Well-Known Member

I second the Nosler...I tried about 5 kinds of premium and my 270 liked Barnes and Nosler the best, consistent 1 MOA or a smidge better. I got better velocities out of superformance but accuracy wasn't as good.