Bullet/factory load question

I was looking into the Federal premiums and noslers as the next ones I try but in 165 grains. The 165 grain federal fusions shot well while the 180 grain super X(winchester) shot terrible...not sure if that has anything to do with bullet weight or not but figured no need for 180 as I am not shooting anything bigger than a deer... BUT maybe ill try some as well. Maybe my gun just HATES the winchester Super X 180s lol
It's all in your rifling rate of twist. Some guns have a tighter twist and like heavier bullets. Most factory rifles have a lenient twist, and will shoot better with lighter weight bullets. Then again, sometimes things will surprise you.

If your gun has a slower twist, the 165's might be your best bet, but if it has a tighter twist, the 180's might shoot better.

I just saw where you had mentioned 180's earlier, so that's why I posted a bunch on 180gr loads. I don't have any WSM's, and have very little personal experience with shooting them. So that is about the extent of my knowledge with them. Just trying to be helpful.

It's all in your rifling rate of twist. Some guns have a tighter twist and like heavier bullets. Most factory rifles have a lenient twist, and will shoot better with lighter weight bullets. Then again, sometimes things will surprise you.

If your gun has a slower twist, the 165's might be your best bet, but if it has a tighter twist, the 180's might shoot better.

I just saw where you had mentioned 180's earlier, so that's why I posted a bunch on 180gr loads. I don't have any WSM's, and have very little personal experience with shooting them. So that is about the extent of my knowledge with them. Just trying to be helpful.

I have a browning x-bolt Hunter in 300WSM. looks like it has 1:10 twist rate... in a 23 inch barrel..."?

I had a remington sendero in 300 wsm ( i had it rechambereded from rsaum). it had a 1-10 twist it shot everything i tried great . i have a 300 win mag sendero now . it has a 1-10 twist is has shot everthing i have tried from 150 to 210.

I had a remington sendero in 300 wsm ( i had it rechambereded from rsaum). it had a 1-10 twist it shot everything i tried great . i have a 300 win mag sendero now . it has a 1-10 twist is has shot everthing i have tried from 150 to 210.

Well then either I got a bad batch of winchester SuperX 180s or my gun is PICKY when it comes to ammo. I will have to try more ammo.
Can anyone explain what the difference in premium ammo vs regular of a same brand is?

I had bad experience with winchester Super X 180s...2 of the 20 shells wouldnt chamber due to the brass being slightly streched at the neck...and the other 18 wouldnt group less than 7 inches at 200 yards...maybe I simply got a bad batch but the Super Xs left a sour taste in my mouth for Winchester. That being said...any reason to go with a 150 vs 165 vs 180 grains?

I have not tried the 180 Super X (White box) Just the Supremes with the Nosler ballistic silver tip
In the black box. It is Winchesters premium ammo and has performed well on game as well as accuracy.

I have not had good luck with the Super X ammo ether. I think it is there bullet selection.

The reason I recommend the 150 is velocity, performance and recoil. there is no need for higher BCs at 5 to 600 yard shots. So why pay for the high end bullets and ammo when its not needed. also the poster does not reload so some of these bullets are not available to him.

One other thing most of the factory barrels are poor at best and are lightly contoured and it has been my experience that most Light barrels preform best with light bullets.(Less harmonic problems).

Nothing wrong with using heaver bullets I just think they are needed for what he wants to do and pay for.

I used 165s and 168s for 600 and 100 yard matches in a 308, So I know they will work in the WSMs

Just my opinion

J E CUSTOM

I have not tried the 180 Super X (White box) Just the Supremes with the Nosler ballistic silver tip
In the black box. It is Winchesters premium ammo and has performed well on game as well as accuracy.

I have not had good luck with the Super X ammo ether. I think it is there bullet selection.

The reason I recommend the 150 is velocity, performance and recoil. there is no need for higher BCs at 5 to 600 yard shots. So why pay for the high end bullets and ammo when its not needed. also the poster does not reload so some of these bullets are not available to him.

One other thing most of the factory barrels are poor at best and are lightly contoured and it has been my experience that most Light barrels preform best with light bullets.(Less harmonic problems).

Nothing wrong with using heaver bullets I just think they are needed for what he wants to do and pay for.

I used 165s and 168s for 600 and 100 yard matches in a 308, So I know they will work in the WSMs

Just my opinion

J E CUSTOM

Factory barrels are poor at best wow...maybe I shouldn't have spent 800 on an Xbolt then lol do I need to buy a Jew barrel for it?

Factory barrels are poor at best wow...maybe I shouldn't have spent 800 on an Xbolt then lol do I need to buy a Jew barrel for it?

Your X-Bolt barrel should be on par...Every A-Bolt II I've had was a tack driver with the factory barrel.

The Rifle Basix 1.5lb trigger spring is the best $20 and 10 minutes you'll spend.

The reason I said that is , I have never replaced a good custom barrel because it would not shoot, They were shot out from lots of rounds.

I have replaced most factory barrels for that reason and only a few because they just wanted a better barrel.

I have also had to lap many factory barrels just to make them shoot "OK".

That's not to say that you cant find a good factory barrel it,s just that the odds are against it.

I don't consider One MOA of deer good. there are lots of people that are ok with a rifle that shoots 1 MOA and that's fine for shorter distances. But I think that In this game 1/2 moa or better is a minimum requirement
for long distance.

Not trying to be sarcastic, But if factory barrels were very good the custom barrel makers would be in trouble because of the cost and Gun Smithing required to install one.

Rarely will you see a factory barreled rifle at a long range competition or on a rifle used for long shots
for game.

Nothing personal just an opinion based on over 50 years of shooting and hunting, also hours and hours of looking through a bore scope at factory and custom barrels.

J E CUSTOM

The reason I said that is , I have never replaced a good custom barrel because it would not shoot, They were shot out from lots of rounds.

I have replaced most factory barrels for that reason and only a few because they just wanted a better barrel.

I have also had to lap many factory barrels just to make them shoot "OK".

That's not to say that you cant find a good factory barrel it,s just that the odds are against it.

I don't consider One MOA of deer good. there are lots of people that are ok with a rifle that shoots 1 MOA and that's fine for shorter distances. But I think that In this game 1/2 moa or better is a minimum requirement
for long distance. Unfortunately I do not have tons of money for a new rifle.

Not trying to be sarcastic, But if factory barrels were very good the custom barrel makers would be in trouble because of the cost and Gun Smithing required to install one.

Rarely will you see a factory barreled rifle at a long range competition or on a rifle used for long shots
for game.

Nothing personal just an opinion based on over 50 years of shooting and hunting, also hours and hours of looking through a bore scope at factory and custom barrels.

J E CUSTOM

Thanks for the info. Hopefully I will find a round (other than federal fusion) that will shoot a pie plate at 400 yards. Thats what I am looking for...something that will hit the 8inch vitals of a deer at TOPS 400 yards, thats the farthest shot in our field.

some say the custom barrels are expensive. also they have a long wait. by the time you invest the time and ammo to find a good load you haved saved how much?? my wait was Always worth it. don't ever try a remington/ krieger . once you shoot one it is difficult to go back to factory.

What's a Remington/Krieger? I know Remington, and I know Krieger... Did they at one time merge, or are they now merged?

I know Krieger and Criterion are now sister companies.

some say the custom barrels are expensive. also they have a long wait. by the time you invest the time and ammo to find a good load you haved saved how much?? my wait was Always worth it. don't ever try a remington/ krieger . once you shoot one it is difficult to go back to factory.

@Muddrunner, I think ronin means the remington action in combo with the krieger barrel...also, at the OPs original question I think you might just have to spend the money to find that right round. It is out there, especially with your expectations. Higher end ammunition will easily hit a pie plate at 400 yards. I agree with JE Customs though since I consider 1/2 MOA the standard. See if you can borrow a lead slead or rig up something that will remove user error (just for testing purposes).

Heres a cheaper version on Cheaper than Dirt. See if there is one for sale on the forum as well. I am not saying you have to get one, but if you want to remove user error for testing purposes before you hone your skills then getting some type of shooting prop will def help you.

Caldwell The Lead Sled Solo

Warning! This thread is more than 11 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.