Ideal powder for speed and stability in 7-08

...on second thought if varget is the only powder of the three I mentioned that you are really after I would just get it and hurry to check out. It wont last very long, at least it hasn't for a long time! Ive missed out going shopping for the same reasons often

You could check out 6.5 staball looks to be a good powder for it.
Now the pic isn't a 120 but it seems impressive with the 140's. It's temp stable and says it's ideal for 7mm-08.

1638200866997.jpeg

Last edited:
They 7-08 with 120 gr bullets are a awesome package.
Yeah, I bet I have a savage SA sitting in my gun room right now waiting for parts and deciding what I want to do with it. Still don't know if that's what I want to use that for. My original idea was to build an ultra light rifle with a Ti action or an anTi, 20" pencil barrel and a full carbon stock and make that a 7-08AI. I still think I want to do that, I was tossing around the idea of making it a 6.5 Creedmoor or something similar too.

Butterbean, do you say that because the speed of rl16 is too fast for that light of a bullet? If not what have you learned is the holdup on desired velocity with the hammer?
It has been slow in everting I have ever loaded with it ( Cup & Core included ) and with the Hammers reduced PDR it just seems to amplify the problem, I've got 2 pounds of it I think if anyone needs it