IDEAL MAXIMUM SCOPE POWER NEEDED FOR SHOTS TO 800 YARDS?

Litehiker

My 6.5 PRC hunting rifle has a Bushnell LRTS 4.5 - 18 x 44 scope with an illuminated G3 reticle. I feel that that is about ideal for hunting in Nevada where my longest ethical shot would be around 800 yards. Yes, I compete with a 21X max power scope but that is for much smaller targets than "minute of deer".

Is 18X about all that is necessary in your mind for ethical shots out to 800 yards?

Eric B.

If it ain't broke don't monkey with it.
That's really for you to determine, for years snipers used fixed 10x scopes and made shots that were quite incredible. If you're comfortable shooting deer size targets to that or longer ranges with your current set up then 18x should be plenty. How often are you actually shooting deer at 800yd? As my eyes begin to deteriorate I'm finding more top end power is better in most cases I can always dial down. If you've already got a scope you're comfortable shooting with and it's working for you why mess with success?

My 6.5 PRC hunting rifle has a Bushnell LRTS 4.5 - 18 x 44 scope with an illuminated G3 reticle. I feel that that is about ideal for hunting in Nevada where my longest *Rule 1 Violation*al shot would be around 800 yards. Yes, I compete with a 21X max power scope but that is for much smaller targets than "minute of deer".

Is 18X about all that is necessary in your mind for *Rule 1 Violation*al shots out to 800 yards?

Eric B.
Not meant to be negative, but If you shoot long distance in competition as you say you do, then I would think you would have a better idea than us telling you. However, since you asked for our feedback 18X is plenty.

Competition is relative either way. Bench competition is based on groups. Field shooting is about making one shot. I often want to ask on this forum is it more important to have 5 one shot sub moa groups or is it better to have one 5 shot sub moa group. I'm accustom to 5 one shot groups mentality. That being said, I think field of view is more important than max mag. So 18x power is quite adequate for 800y. A 10x is fine for 800y.

I agree, a max of 18x is fine for 800 shooting. My LR hunting scopes are a bit more, generally 20-25x on the high end, 5x in the bottom. They spend 90% of the time at half max(10-12.5x). I opt for the higher power given the difference in size and weight is little to none. My max range is a few hundred yards further with smaller sized coyotes and antelope frequently hunted. I have found the higher power useful for discerning interfering brush at long range and partially obscured "other" game.

I actually thought 18x when I read your title prior to reading the question. It can be done with much less, but 18 is about ideal for that range. Higher can be useful, but can make spotting your shots harder. Less, say 12x, is still useable, but makes it harder to see certain details such as if the animal is quartered just a little, or to obtain a small aim point on the animal.

Well, you guys confirmed my guesstimate. And Rick is correct, my experience with my 3.5 - 21 x 50 competition scope tells me that 18x is plenty good for 800 yards.
I went with the G3 "little Xmas tree" reticle B/C I'm used to using an H59 Xmas tree reticle in competition and wanted to keep things that I ws familiar with but not as busy as the H59 reticle. I like to hold instead of dial and for most hunting dialing take too much time.

Eric B.

I find myself settling on 20x for big game targets at that distance.

Running the 3.5x15 NF NXS has never left me wishing I had more power. Shooting steel to 1200yds and hunting to whatever distance I'm comfortable (depending on circumstances), 15x has been more than adequate for me.

As a western hunter I have settled on the Leupold 3x15 is just about perfect. Don't need more

I don't think the plethora of really good scopes in the 2x10 range can be ignored for hunting applications out to 800 either

I practice with my scope on 22x most of the time for distance shooting but in the field I generally find myself turning the power down so that it takes the heartbeat out of the equation. I think for 800 yards 18x is just about perfect.

My 4" steel plate is visible enough for hits out to 700 with my 16x scope. With the 12" plate, I bet I could go 1000 yards and see it well enough. However, I find that looking for the shoulder and leg joint on a brown furry surface is not as easy to see as a big white steel plate. I honestly don't have much field time with lower power scopes since they are on my short range guns.

Warning! This thread is more than 5 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.