Idaho wolf down

Izzy,

My uncle who shot that wolf hunts whitetail deer on a private land non fenced hunt club in the Upper Peninsula of Michigan. Since the wolves have mutiplied they barely see deer. Last year an entire hunt club harvested less than ten deer on 60,000+ acres. Before wolves were introduced and multiplied they shot hundreds of deer every year. Some (pro wolves) say its a decrease in population but the rest of the state still sees and harvests plenty of deer. Oh and last year the only tracks my uncle saw were wolf tracks. Go have a conversation with the Amish who watch wolves eat their animals and who have also stated they have seen wolves stalking children near their farms.

Izzy

Thank you for entering the mine (mind?) field. A little biology:

1) Wolves have always been in Idaho, TIMBER WOLVES!!!

2) This was not a "reintroduction". These are Grey wolves from the North in Alaska and Canada. Idaho has never seen Grey wolves and the brain dead college professors that run Fish & Game decided Idaho needed these NON - NATIVE species. Kind of like the Chinese carp overtaking our southern waterways.

3) The impact to Idaho wildlife has been devastating but since the bureaucratic aristocracy cannot be wrong Idaho will continue to be ravaged by these animals.

P.S. Don't walk away from your car in the mountains without a large caliber weapon. The wolves are hungry and you are lunch. They will not hesitate to attack. Contrary to the "experts" they have no "natural" fear of man. The experts live is ultra urban environments.

We live in the real world.

One other thing...

Idaho is a vacation to Disney World in Florida for these wolves.

The Grey wolves are an Alien invasion from a more advance civilization for the elk & deer.

I'm sure if a wolf savagely killed one of her many cats, her point of view would change. If one were to severally threaten her livelihood , similar to the realistic problems ranchers are facing, she might also curve her opinion. Of course, I'm sure she dose not live in an area were this will ever happen.
People like Izzy are why the wolves got reintroduced. Notice how none of them want one in their suburban backyard. But they sure are pretty when someone else has to deal with them.

Where'd you go Izzy? I hope you're out in the field, actually observing what happens in nature when an apex predator gets introduced into an area where the prey hasn't seen that predator in over 100 years. Are you listening to the stories the elk pass down from generation to generation about what it was like 100 years ago when the wolves were around, and the humans weren't? Or are you counting fawn/calf mortality due to predation?...

I ask, because many of us around here actually do see these things take place on a daily basis, and can speak to these truths because we see them happen with our own eyes. We're not drawing upon what the FWP or ANY publication says (whether it be pro or anti hunting) We're drawing on the many hours we spend in the same areas as the wolves, and deer, and elk and moose, etc. We see these things happening every day!

Now, I may be just an MT redneck with too much time on his hands... But if you can show me a biologist who has spent more than 50 days in the field this year, I'll gladly sit down and listen to his/her every word. But until then, I'll listen to the sportsmen and outfitters who actually spend time in the wilderness...

PS- of the 47 days I've spent time in the woods of MT this year, I've talked to A LOT of wonderful people enjoying what MT has to offer... None of them (not even one!) Has been studying wolf impacts, behavior, etc. Ask yourself, who did the study you read? Did you see any of the results first hand? Did you have any understanding of game populations prior to wolf introduction (that you got from being there, and not just something you read) Did you even find out who did the study, or where their funding came from... If you did, I'd love to hear where it all came from. Perhaps I missed something in the the last few decades of field time.

Feel free to PM me if you'd prefer to keep your findings private.

When the Fed's decided Idaho needed Grey Wolves they set up a fund to reimburse Ranchers for livestock lost.
To my knowledge the Rangers have denied every claim. When submitted the Rangers state that the livestock were "winter kill" or something other than depredation and deny the claims.
Even though in some cases the Ranchers witnessed the attacks the Rangers basically called them liars and still would not pay out the claim.
The Federal Fish & Wildlife beaurcrats are an unwelcome scourge in Idaho.

Just ask royinidaho

Issy you are a young obviously. Man has spent decades trying to rid the west of wolves!It was animal activists who prompted our government to re introduce them to cut elk,deer and buffullo populations around Yellowstone so hunting wouldn't be needed or allowed. It didn't work as now honest hard working people go home empty handed in many cases due to wolves over populating and their lifestyles. Many hunters now don't spend money to go because numbers of animals has drastically changed.Many people depended on large populaions of game to run businesses and food. We hunters pay for our share through licesence fees,money spent on gasoline,food,accomodations for travel etc. If you were truly a hunter and conservationist you would under stand that wolves don't have a menu just to chase and kill in afrenzy like sharks.Upchuck and kill more.Its the hunting that needs our attention and be passed on to new generations.Wolves can ruin this if you read this forem you will understand what we have and want to keep!!!

I don't even know where to begin. Michigan and Idaho might as well be on 2 different planets as far as game concerns and wildlife migration and birthing patterns. It is this sort of absolute mind blowing BS that is spewed from the brians of intelligent people that is disturbing. There are way too many directions in which this topic could go, Mt lions, bears, coyotes, wolves..... they are all predators and all need to be managed just as the deer, elk, pronghorn, sheep, moose etc. It is not just a source of revenue it is a source of managing wildlife to protect it as well as use it for then benefit of all. I am not sure how a wolf has been elevated to the top of the do not shoot list in a hunters mind but yet here we are.

Truth is, most sportsman want to hunt wolves and do not want them all killed. They do, in fact, want the absolute destruction of some herds of elk to stop immediately, such as the Lolo/selway herds. They would also like the parasite invasion to end. So, hunting is a great way to generate revenue, open up a season for hunters/sportsman, and put a little dent in the population.

Educate yourself Izzy. Look at the migration patterns of western region elk herds and see how easy it is for wolves to destroy a healthy herd in record time. Look at the facts of the numerous independent studies of the effects of the wolf. There is so much good information to support a properly managed hunting season it is hard to believe you are not just stirring the pot based on emotions.

I am a bow hunter, I hunt for the excitement and sport of it. I also hunt antlers, that makes me a trophy hunter. I used to hate trophy hunters, I thought they were arrogant. Today, I realize I enjoy the hunt much more than the kill and wind up videoing more than anything. I got into LR shooting because I would rather see deer, elk, moose, etc than a pack of wolves running those animals into hysteria until they are so worn down they can't stand. Yes, I have seen it. So now, I can shoot a really long way so I can have more wolf rugs on my walls, hunt all winter, and save some elk. If you don't want to be part of these things it is understandable, but educate yourself and leave the guys who do want to be a part of it alone.

Idaho is between a rock and a hard place.

IDF&G has run a flag up the pole to test the waters. The announcement says that licenses/tags/fees are going up 20% in 2015.

This is due to a 3 million shortfall that has been consistent over the last couple of years.

Which in turn is due to continuing decrease in license and tag sales.

They will sweeten the deal by stating that if a person purchases a license in 2014 their fee will be the same in 2015 and subsequent years as long a license purchases continue in a continuous consecutive order.

They will also sweeten the pot by, tentatively, allowing elk to be hunted in several different units instead of a single unit tag. This may be tempting but not a whole heck of a lot.

Think about it. What does it say when $ incentives are used to increase license sales versus improving the outdoor experience for the sportsman.

There's some stinkin' thinkin' going on someplace and it's not between the ears of the sportsman.

I had a great rant following but chose to delete it.

I'll end with this.

When I was young and foolish I used to smoke a pack a day.

With the few years I have left I'm gonna do that again.gun)

The wolves have decimated the big game herds in Idaho. Idaho use to be a great place for high success hunts. Now we have a huge wolf problem that's spiralling out of control. The wolves will continue to kill until there is nothing left of deer and elk then they will turn to livestock and humans. We'll see how magnificent and cute they are when they start eating people. It's very sad what has happened to big game hunting were these non native indiscriminant killers have been turned loose.

Mulman tell your uncle congrats and keep up the good work for me!!! now about the wolves in the UP of michigan that were mentioned.... I know what Yoopers do those suckers. Gut shoot them and let them run off into the woods so they dont get caught with one. NOW IM NOT SAYING THIS IS RIGHT I am just using it as an example to explain how bad the wolves in michigan have gotten. I bowhunt in escanaba every fall and now its become a race to the down deer between me the coyotes and the wolves. I have twice tracked a deer and found wolves and coyotes mixing it up over the carcass. Think what you will but these things are out of control. Idaho and Michigan I see this.

I'm sorry to see such a beautiful animal die for nothing.Generally speeking we don't eat wolf and the likelyhood will be that the carcass will just be thrown away.The fur will not be rendered for coat making as it is in Alaska and the animal will have died for nothing.There is nothing wrong with taking animals for our use or consumption, but this is a complete waste.
Wolves help keep the deer and elk moving during hunting season.Without them your likely to experence long days sitting and waiting for animals to move that know moving during the day might get them shot.
Please don't tell me how many deer are killed by wolves.Bears take more deer than wolves do, and the main reason we have a season for the taking of deer or elk is because we must limit their numbers. Wolves help us to do that, and they also help keep the rodent population in check.If you have wisdom you will see the logic in what I have said. If not you most certainly will call me names I probably have never been called before. Thats the risk I take because I think animals shouldn't be persecuted.The wolf is no different than the Bear, its just that we can eat Bear or make use of its fur.

Izzy, my degree in wildlife mgt, being employed as a full time guide in central Idaho and being a professional trapper for the last 17 seasons has left me with 200 some days a year of boots on the ground experience towards this topic. I am not going to call you names, I would rather enlighten you on my apparent lack of wisdom and logic.
-the fur market is at a 30 year high right now with high demand for trim articles (fox, coyotes, wolves, etc.)
-I would like to see some of your studies and
findings backing your statements about bear predation being higher than wolf predation, that is not what I have witnessed, but I will keep an opened mind.
-In areas that have wolf populations, the game is gone. They do not move
around as your lack of time in the woods indicates.
- I am all for conservation, that includes, ungulates. (I know that is a big word Izzy, but it means deer, elk, etc.) We also have to recognize that we are part of the ecosystem and money does matter. Out of state hunters don't come
to Idaho to see wolf sh$t in the trail.
-I do recommend that you and your thoughts go to the woods more often so you can gain some more logic and wisdom on this topic.

-I would like to see some of your studies and
findings backing your statements about bear predation being higher than wolf predation, that is not what I have witnessed, but I will keep an opened mind..

The only bear depredation studies I'm aware of were pre-wolf. The study here in Washington involved calf elk.

One issue became the cow/bull ratio being poor that spread out the rut, and left calves on the ground over months instead of weeks increasing vulnerability. Wolves run elk their entire life cycle.

Bears are denned up out of the game for months.

Bears are under harvested here as well. Eastern Washington could support a 2 week spring general bear season the last 2 weeks of May. Especially since we no longer are allowed bait or hounds.

The only fawn I've seen born's momma got it up and out of there in minutes. Within 20-30 mins predators birds coyotes etc. swarmed the spot. Yes birth is high risk in the wild.