Idaho Selway river Mule deer?

Frenchie1

I am curious if anyone has hunted mule deer recently in the Selway River drainage in Idaho? I hunted in there about 20 years ago and the first year was good, with lots of decent mule deer spotted and a couple taken so we went back two years later and only saw 3 mule deer (does) and lots of whitetail. The first year we also saw plenty of elk with one nice 6x6 taken by my brother in law and a raggy taken by another in our party, but again, the second trip yielded only a couple of elk spotted at all. I loved hunting that country back then but am concerned about returning with my son, who spent the last 7 1/2 years in the army and deployed for half of that, and really want to take him to some place that will offer him/ us a decent chance at a decent muley. Anybody have any insight here? I have also hunted SE Idaho, North of Soda Springs back in 2011 and while our party went 3 for 4 on mule deer, the sightings were pretty slim and from the looks of it, sheep grazing was really taking a toll on the good feed down there. Interested in information on this area as well. Any help is appreciated as I would like nothing more than to see my son get a decent buck. Thanks Guys

Frenchie, I wish I could share some info with you , I am looking for some info on the Frank Church River of No Return Wilderness Area (GMU27) , not looking for game levels just crowd levels and just how are the roads way back and such but as of yet no one is willing to reply or a person with the desired info has not came along. oh well time will tell.

Last edited:
That's what I'm hoping for Porkchop, the right person to come along and see the post that might have a little insight. I know wolves were present in the Selway area, even 20 years ago, so my guess is, they are even more prevalent now. The unit in SE Idaho that we hunted in 2011 had no wolf sign but that was 5 years ago and Idaho has them **** things reported just about everywhere these days so I would expect to be hunting along with them if that is where we end up going. Good Luck to you- Keep yer eye along the skyline!

I haven't been in the Selway in years but if its anything like the Frank Church its mostly barren of game. The Idaho F&G has data for the Selway (Unit 17) for 2014 (latest posted). Deer numbers for Unit 17 were (approx) 111 deer taken, 80 bucks, 30 does, 69% whitetails. I tip my hat to you and your son. I would take him elsewhere.

Thanks for the input guys. I will continue the search for a decent area to take him. Just getting to hunt with him again will be the biggest thrill. I raised him hunting and then when he enlisted and left, It left an big empty spot for me and getting to do it again is going to top any deer I could ever want.

Warning! This thread is more than 8 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.