I will never buy another remington again!!

My guess is that during the parkarizing process the barreled actions were improperly rinsed or missed the rince cycle, and them were improperly applied to the oil bath.
Add the fact that the reciever face was not very smooth and that allowed the corosive ajents to seep in and hide during the process.

Boxes looked a-1

tore them apart, blueprinted, had Nathan tig on ptg handles and they are good to go.

One is now a 300 win mag and shooting under 1/2moa, oxide blast and cerakote.

My guess is that during the parkarizing process the barreled actions were improperly rinsed or missed the rince cycle, and them were improperly applied to the oil bath.
Add the fact that the reciever face was not very smooth and that allowed the corosive ajents to seep in and hide during the process.

Boxes looked a-1

the final step in the parkerizing prcess as you said is the oil bath. Normally it's a heated oil that is pretty thin to help it enter into the metal surface.. But before anything serious happens the parts are cleaned and then rinsed. The cleaning solution is similar to floor stripper, and is very caustic (will take the paint of a piece of steel). After two rinses the parts are dried and then get the oil soak. My guess would be that they never got the second wash, and were not dry when they entered the oil bath. I've also seen similar things happen when the parts were very cold. This is why most places clean the parts with very hot cleaning solutions that is agitated by compressed air. The two rinses are there to make the part as clean as you can before going anyfurther. I suspect that if you had removed the barrel and lugs you would have found evidence of a real bad chemical reaction, and a very deep etch in the surfaces.
gary

I have had two experiences in the past two years with two different manufacturers.

Rem 700 SPS Varmint - 17 Fireball. Bad extracor, returned and fixed in about 2 months. The repair time ****ed me off. Other than that customer service was decent. Gun shoots in the .2's.

Savage Model 93R17 - 17 HMR. Also an extractor issue, would not extract anything. Sent it back, got it back in 3 weeks with "NOTHING BEING DONE TO IT" This really surprised me. I only own a couple of Savage's but I thought their customer service would be better. Called Sharpshooter Supply and had him send me an extractor and I fixed it myself. The quality of this rifle is "CHEAP". My LRPV is a piece of ART.

I THINK THEY ALL HAVE THEIR PROBLEMS AT TIMES!!

P.S. The only manufacturer I have not had an issue with is Browning. But that may be because I have never had a bad Browning!!

I have had 2 Remingtons to date: 700 SPS Tactical and my current 700 VSSF (both 308).

SPS Tactical would not shoot at all. Maxed out windage and elevation just to get 100 yard zero (with several factory loads). Called Remington and explained what was going on. They told me I had to write a letter explaining the issue with the rifle, place rifle in factory box (or plastic rifle box) along with the letter, and they sent me a call tag. Sent rifle in, and 3 weeks later, the rifle was back in my hands with a new barrel.

Rifle still would not shoot past 100 yards. I did not know a lot about rifles (way less than I do now, and I still don't really know poop). Sold the rifle because I did not want a 308 caliber 100 yard gun. Guy bought it, put on a HS Precision stock, and it drove nickels to 200 yards. Pretty sure it was just the stock that was crap.

Bought a 700 VSSF in 308, dropped in a few handloads I built for my savage, and it runs 3/4" at 150 yards. Bell and Carlson stock, full aluminum bedding block, older adjustable trigger (Rifle was built in 1996). Safe queen as far as I can tell, and she is a shooter.

I did not have a lot of complaint with my SPS except it would not shoot at 200 yards and further. But, I think that if I had taken some time and learned, that may have been a good rifle.

Remington customer service has been good to me. One bad CSR should not dissuade you from buying again. We are all just people and have bad days, especially when customers "want a supervisor". I have been on both ends of that call (the CSR AND the supervisor). It is not a pleasant experience, mostly because all the calls you get are ****ed off people. That is a hard job to do and still treat everyone 100% everyday. Just the way it is.
Just my two bits...

Its not just Remington, its everyone. I have gotten poor service for a bunch of places. I would guess due to high sales and thus high volume of consumer questions and complaints customer service has become a thing of the past. I had a problem with a new franchi shotgun and all they would tell me is to send it in at my expense, turned out ot was operator error and anyone who actually knew the gun could have solved my issue. thankfull i sat down calmly and went over the gun and the problem and the poor manual and figured it out.
I had another question for leupold, i had their spotting scope and they nylon field case for it and was asking if they knew what i could use to paint or color the field case so it was more camo. They had no understanding of their products and through numberious clarifications they kept thinking i wanted to paint the actual spotting scope and all they would tell me was "painting your scope voids the warranty".
Thompson center has poor service also, Volquartsen customs is really beyond poor,
Choate stocks and Carlson chokes, and berger bullets and lapua, good service.
Bushnell, tasco, simmons all have poor service and bushnell buying tasco lied through their teeth about warranties to not lose business.
I always got poor service from savage until someone sent me a higher-ups personal email addr. Ive heard winchester has good service on problems with their ammo.
Barnes bullets, absolutely lied to the state of california/dfg and had the biggest hand in our lead ban just for self promotion. They dont support hunters, just capitalism.
its just hit and miss, mostly miss, kind of like my hunting, lol.

The last place i called with a question was beretta and they customer service was actually really good. No BS and sent me to their guy and answered my technical question right on the spot off the top of his head.

Last edited:
I have a 700 made in 91 that shoots great. .300 win mag. But it WILL NOT CHAMBER A REMINGTON FACTORY ROUND. It does exactly what you are describing. Try Hornady. I have determined that the chamber is cut a hair short at the neck. The brass will work for me after it is trimmed. I am not sure of the case length but I use a lee trimmer and length gauge.

Sportmans called me yesterday to tell me that my rifle was back and ready to go. I was floored. That is only 10 days. I called the gunsmith in minnasota and he informed me that the extractor was defaulted. He replaced the extractor with a new one. I go get her on saturday!

I understand that it is a sucky job. I to have been there. But I personally did not like being treated that way. It is unacceptable for another human being to treat someone like dirt. I will post pics of my girl supper soon. I will break in the barrel on monday!

Darrin

Well I am glad to hear they got her fixed. Sounds like there service is better than there communication skills. Now brake her in and tell us if she'll shoot.

Warning! This thread is more than 14 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.