• Start date
D

Deleted member 46119

I know about:

• Savage
  • RemAge
  • Blaser
  • DTA

My uses are Competition Target, Hunting and some Tactical Competition type may wind up in the mix.

NO PISTOL GRIP ala AR15. So all DTA and AI types are out of contention.

I really like the Blaser R8 setup but I'm not so happy with barrel selection. Actually it's twist rates. There are reports of Blasers in the .3 MOA range so I'm pretty sure it would work out but like lots of manufacturers they seem to specify slow twist rates.

so

Biggest thing I'm trying to avoid is proprietary barrels.

Biggest thing on the wish list is field changeable.

Thompson/Center Encore or something like that would be your best bet if you want a BUNCH of different calibers or wildcat calibers without the headache of having 20 different rifles.

This is the best approach I have seen: The Switch Barrel

He uses an action wrench that goes inside the action rails and a hex wrench on the end of the barrel. By not having a barrel nut, there is no need to dismount the scope and rail and by wrenching on the end of the barrel one can leave the action in the stock provided the barrel free floating is "generous". Otherwise take the action out the stock, no big deal.

He make much of the 2 different locating diameters on the barrel for getting a repeatable barrel install and he is probably right. So this is slightly like a mauser except that only 1 shoulder is used to headspace, but 2 are used to guide the barrel relative to the action.
Muzzle+Hex.jpg

wBarrel+Shank.jpg

Here http://www.longrangehunting.com/articles/savage-model-12-and-112-review-1.php is a switch barrel setup based on Savage actions. I believe he loctites the barrel nut in place after setting the headspace.
savage-model-12-and-112-review-001.jpg

savage-model-12-and-112-review-009.jpg

Switching barrels is no big deal on custom actions such as Stiller or even a Remington. Buy a barrel vice and an action wrench. Several things to watch for, make sure the the screws that hold on the base are short enough to not contact the barrel. And if it is a Remington have the lug pinned or buy the tool that holds the lug in place. Use a good quality Never sieze for SS, I use the Nickle based version.

Have someone show you how to do this or read up, very easy

For me personally, a switch barrel rifle should at the very least allow the scope to remain mounted. Otherwise it is not a switch barrel rifle, it is as much work as building any other rifle from scratch. I'm sure that for most users, that would get old really fast.

I forgot a parameter.

Must be able to take 505 Jeffery cases/rim.

Basically leaves the Blaser.

Now how to fund it?

Other really good opportunities with switch barrel systems are these:

- Mauser 03

- Merkel Helix

- Sauer 202

- Schultz & Larsen 97 Victory (my personal favourite)

gun)

Other really good opportunities with switch barrel systems are these:

- Mauser 03

- Merkel Helix

- Sauer 202

- Schultz & Larsen 97 Victory (my personal favourite)

gun)

I'm a Blaaer guy, but you are correct. I forgot about the Sauer 202. I wouldn't call it field changeable unless you buy the "takedown" version.

Marky

Yes, what you mentioned is correct! I didn't take any special attention to the Sauer 202 Take down, because they are just too expensive for normal people. First class, but Porsche prices. :rolleyes:

Warning! This thread is more than 10 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.