I started with a 308 Win, and after thinking I'd move on to other cartridges I'm still shooting it.

30-06 55gr powder. 300WM 75gr powder. If hunting maybe it justifies the bigger. If just ringing steel. Smaller rings just about as loud.

My point for targets, Components are cheaper...

Last load I made for a buddy was 82 grn Magnum behind a 200 gr ELDX. Get's spendy lol. Ya I agree 308 Win components, charges and some bullets, are cheaper.

Most of my smaller stuff is for practise and learning how to judge the wind. I do live in some decent elk country so they are a end goal when I can be able to hunt again.

Most of my smaller stuff is for practise and learning how to judge the wind. I do live in some decent elk country so they are a end goal when I can be able to hunt again.
I think that would work well on elk any ive ever shot of our giant Roosevelts here on my island went down with one shot out of a 30 06 or 8mm Mauser shooting 180gr except one 6x7 thant didnt understand he was dead first shot so i put another in the spine so he wouldn't charge or take off but when i cleared him that first shot had put a 1 inch diameter hole through his heart that i i could look through. Back in the days when I was still thinking remington core lokts were the cats ***

FTR guys have been shooting 200-215s in .308s for awhile now. With 30-32" barrels, max load of Varget, and LONG freebore they're getting in the mid 2600 range.

I think that would work well on elk any ive ever shot of our giant Roosevelts here on my island went down with one shot out of a 30 06 or 8mm Mauser shooting 180gr except one 6x7 thant didnt understand he was dead first shot so i put another in the spine so he wouldn't charge or take off but when i cleared him that first shot had put a 1 inch diameter hole through his heart that i i could look through. Back in the days when I was still thinking remington core lokts were the cats ***
I would want more than a 308 in with 175gr where I live now. 600-700 yard shots might be as close as I'll get. A 200 plus gr 06 might do it. but I'd rather have a 7 RM with 180's or better yet a 300 WM with 200 plus boowits. If the shots were 300 yards or less then my 06 or 308 win would suffice.

FTR guys have been shooting 200-215s in .308s for awhile now. With 30-32" barrels, max load of Varget, and LONG freebore they're getting in the mid 2600 range.
Yeah Montana Marine ran a long thread where he got some fast speeds using RL17 through a 22" barrel. I've not had good luck with Varget, but it's very popular powder so I'd try it if I found some :) There's a lot of new powders that would bu fun to try out. Finding the components is the issue right now. The heavy pills I'll save for elk. But even with a 168 ELDM a mile is possible.

I would want more than a 308 in with 175gr where I live now. 600-700 yard shots might be as close as I'll get. A 200 plus gr 06 might do it. but I'd rather have a 7 RM with 180's or better yet a 300 WM with 200 plus boowits. If the shots were 300 yards or less then my 06 or 308 win would suffice.
Ya the elk ive shot were never more tha 300