.308 Mauser? Action and other parts -- Good buy?

JAMMAN

Hi guys,

I went to a local store that doesn't really know accuracy. They just sell guns. They had a used one there, and I'm going to have to get a few pics of it. The guy told me he thought that this was a rifle built on a mauser action. On the action on the left side was stamped something about Czechoslovakia and a couple other words and didn't make any sense to me. It was chambered in .308.

Then this puppy had what looked to be a 26" bull barrel (It was about 1" short of 3 of my pinkie-to-thumb mesurements, which is 9" long). It was on a custom laminated stock with nice palm swell and cheekpeice. It also had mounted a Bushnell 4-12 x 40mm on it.

This was priced in the high $900 range. I know he'd start bargaining on it. I'm not really looking to spend that right now, but I am wondering if this wouldn't be a better option that buying a new savage, working it over, putting glass on it, etc.

Any thoughts? I'll get some photos next Friday when I go in when he gets some "new" used .22's.

Thanks

$500 max. I think you would be better off buying a used savage or winchester that somebody put a lot of time and money in and then got motivated for another project. The Mauser might be a tack driver but for that price you can preatty much build your own Rem 700 or Savage. Also the triggers on the mausers arent the best for Precise shooting. The bushnell scope is worthless for any sort of long range to so dont even factor that into the price (unless it is a elite). Good luck in your never ending quest and welcome to the board.

The gun is a VZ24 Cheq Made, good receiver, but you don't know who built it or how it was built get a good Savage unless you get to test fire the gun first.....

Warning! This thread is more than 19 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.