I need to start out - CHEAP!

G

I am looking to start some long range hunting. I have very little budget to expend on the purchase of a rifle/scope. I am interested in shooting out to 1200 yards, that is the distance I have access to practice at.

Any suggestions?

Hi:

Check out the posts on the 300 RUM, and 300 Tomahawk that can be built from the 300 RUM. Over the past year or so there has been a lot of discussion about them and the are loved by members of this board as long range, and ultra long range caliber's.

If money is a major issue, start with the 300 RUM, when you shoot out the barrel, have Ray Romain build you a 300 Tomahawk. I am sure you will be happy either way.

Good luck

Frank D

Troll

look at Sendaro in 300 win or 300 weatherby
Savage 112BVS in same or aftermarket barrel from midwayusa for 300 win, 300 weatherby, 338 lapua at little over $200.

Scopes look at bushnell 3200-4200 6-18 or 6-24. Might want to try Millet 6-25 x 56 w/mildot(under $200 on net). It is spittin image copy of NF. Just picked one up to play with and going to test it this weekend. Optic look very clear though. compared it to my NF and leupolds. Not quite as good, but very close considering price.

Burris signature rings with inserts. ($35-50)

However you might want to look at the 7mm HV in the ads below. it is a Tooley built heavy gun that comes with dies. Cost is over $3000 for gun and $300 for dies. Bob White at Shooters corner is asking $1400. Go to tooleycustomrifles website to look at the HV caliber description. This is a primo gun, well worth the money. With a 1-9 twist it will send 180 gr bullet out LR and very accurately.

BH

I was thinking maybe a Savage 112BVSS - 300 Win Mag, and shoot Sierra MatchKing handloads. New AccuTrigger™, stainless barreled action, heavy fluted, free-floating and button-rifled barrel, internal box magazine. Target style heavy prone laminate with ambidextrous Wundhammer palm swell, dual pillar bedding. Total capacity is 4 rounds, and that could be handy if I miss or hit one in the guts. 10 1/4 lbs., so recoil will be very manageable. 26" barrel for good speed.

According to my calculations, a 300 Win Mag is quite a hot little number with the right load.

Warning! This thread is more than 22 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.