I need some smith'n. Recommendations please

Smokepoles

I'd like to have a new 700 action blueprinted, maybe some bolt fluting and a pinned lug set up too but not crucial. No local smiths up to the task that I'm aware of in town so I'm looking to send it off. Can anyone recommend someone good, reasonable and fairly fast? Thank you. I think I'm going to try a remage but want to have it squared up first.

Some smiths arbitrarily open the action threads up .010". Be sure to ask whoever you choose. Otherwise this will prove challenging getting a Remage nut and replacement barrel to fit right. The action would be very sloppy unless the barrel and nut thread is custom fitted. That defeats the purpose of converting to Remage nut. I would specify the most minimal thread clean up possible. This will minimize the slop.

Mac's Gunworks, Gillette, Wyoming
307-685-3373
Mac's Gunworks, LLC

Chuck McIntosh does really good work when it comes to precision and long distance firearms work. He has a full machine set up and well equipped shop. I use him for all of my gunsmith work.

Tex

Thanks guys, I forgot about this thread. I'm looking into the thread issue now and getting some more info from another member in the biz. Thanks for all the input! If the barrel nut isn't going to work out I'll end up having a barrel installed. I like the idea of the barrel nut but I don't think its worth it on a 700 if the action couldn't be squared up and still have proper threads for a prefit, kind of defeats the purpose.

Mac's Gunworks, Gillette, Wyoming
307-685-3373
Mac's Gunworks, LLC

Chuck McIntosh does really good work when it comes to precision and long distance firearms work. He has a full machine set up and well equipped shop. I use him for all of my gunsmith work.

Tex

A second for Chuck's work. He's built me a couple rifles and they're all shooters.

Warning! This thread is more than 8 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.