I need more magnification <$1200.00

excaliber

I have a 300 Win Mag that has a Leupold VX-3 4.5x14x40 scope on it. It's ok out to 500 yards but I'd like more magnification. The crosshair covers too much of the target at longer distances at 14 power.

This is on a hunting rifle and it would be ok if I had to live with it but my aging eyes would like a bit more magnification. My searches find very little choices available for my criteria.

I was looking at the Leupold VX-6 4-24 scopes and was wondering if there are any other options in the >1200.00 dollar range?

Vortex Viper PST line is good in that price range. The FFP reticles are very fine at the center, no obscuring the target unless you're trying to shoot poker chips.

Try the Sightron SIII scopes. The glass is very good and they have some pretty good reticle options.

FWIW, I run a VX-3 4.5-14x50 with a fine duplex at 12x on 1 MOA targets out to 1200 yards with great results.

I have a 300 Win Mag that has a Leupold VX-3 4.5x14x40 scope on it. It's ok out to 500 yards but I'd like more magnification. The crosshair covers too much of the target at longer distances at 14 power.

This is on a hunting rifle and it would be ok if I had to live with it but my aging eyes would like a bit more magnification. My searches find very little choices available for my criteria.

I was looking at the Leupold VX-6 4-24 scopes and was wondering if there are any other options in the >1200.00 dollar range?

I have one of those Leupolds and the glass is barely behind my last Bushnell 6500 4 1/2-30X50. I discovered awhile back when one uses leaves and twigs any good scope looks as good as the great scopes. How did I discover this? I purchased a Military optics chart and stapled it on a plywood board 127 yards away. My chart is about a foot square. Following is a typical comparison of what I do with optics. I call the largest numbers #1, the next size down #2 and the next one down #3 and the next one #4

April 19, 2016 The porch and the eye charts are in the shade.
The Leupold VX-6 4-24X52 (22.9 oz / 34mm tube) $1,350arrived from the service shop. The magnification rings turns with about half the effort as before. Very nice. I considered sending it in before I ever mounted it. I wanted to compare it with the Bushnell 6500 4 ½-30X50 Plex (22.2 oz / 30mm tube) $685. I put them both on their lowest setting. The images appeared to be about the same size and the color in both is so close I can't tell any difference. Both are better than the Swarovski z5 5-25X52 which had the slightest washed out look. I never noticed it, though, until I compared it with the Leupold.

When both are on their lowest settings the Bushnell has the slightest larger field of view despite it starting at 4 1/2X and the Leupold starting at 4X. At 131 yards I could see almost a foot more. Looking at the military chart with both on their lowest setting the Bushnell allowed me to see #1 – 4 and with the Leupold I could make out the horizontal lines on #1 – 4 but not the vertical lines. When both are set on their highest settings with the Leupold on 24X I can see #3 – 6 while the Bushnell on 30X allowed me to see #4 – 3. The Bushnell is noticeably better at the top end for detail, but the Leupold was barely easier to "get behind".

(My son-in-law happened by. I asked him to adjust the scopes to his satisfaction and then compare them. With absolutely no hesitation he said, "The Bushnell is better. I was hoping the Leupold would be the best because it has the gold ring on it." I asked him to adjust them all he wants and look again. He did and said, "Yep. The Bushnell is clearer and brighter.")

For big game hunting I much prefer the Leupold. It has a Boone and Crockett reticle which covers about 1" at 127 yards with the thin section and about 6" with the thick section. The Bushnell covers about 3/4" and 2 ½" respectively. This takes us to low light performance. With both on their lowest settings I looked at the deer antlers 131 yards away. At 7:27PM I could not make out the antlers with the VX-6 and could only barely make them out with the 6500. They are really close to the same.

20132714-99df-403c-8ad0-fe02bba6d05d_zps96efidmo.jpg

Their custom shop can change that. I think the TMR is available, and it has a small opening in the center.

More power is good also, but if the reticle is the only thing you don't like, call and ask what they can do with what you got.

The VX6's are good scopes, and a step up all around.

While going back through the notes I found this little gem:

"I made a very fun discovery while at the range today. The Weaver 6-24X40 and the Nikon 5-20X44 fogged on both the objective and ocular lenses, but the Bushnell 6500 4 1/2-30X50 did not!"

I guess the hydro-phobic coatings really work.

Using a SHV F1 I have no problem shooting out 1000yds. I'm currently have a 338Lapua built for ELR shooting. I pick up a Nightforce NXS 8-32x56 to use on it, thinking I may not always be able to use that much magnification every time. But on the days when I can dial up it will be nice to have that much glass. I was out on Thursday shooting in high 80's and had no problem dialing it to full power all though it was only to 550yds. Shooting 6" steel target it nice not having a FFP that ends up covering a lot of the target. I was playing with it and a 6" disc gets really big at 32x even at that distance.

My shooting is done at known distances so there is no real disadvantage to using a SFP scope. Even if I do need to measure something, it just a matter of turning the power to 22 and I an set to measure. The NXS can be pick up used for not much more then what your budget is. The scope will take a lot of abuse and keep on providing reliable operation. A lot of guys even though they don't shoot much, still swap out scope when the new scope out.

Warning! This thread is more than 8 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.