I missed another bear, somebody shoot me now!!!

[ QUOTE ]
I looked for a deer 2 years ago for about 4 hours with no sign of a hit because I KNEW I didn't screw up. Guess what, I found him piled up in a tree top.

[/ QUOTE ]

Wow, how did a deer get clear up in a tree like that?

We went and looked for blood or any other signs of a hit on the last one at 280...Nothing, absolutely nothing. We followed the river up the canyon bottom where he was at for couple hudred yards, didn't see a thing...

I've seen a few bears shot... and a few missed. Based on that experience I know one thing: when you hit a bear... you know it (because the bear DEFINATELY knows it got shot!). Also, they usually make a racket when they're hit, bawling and growling and smashing through the bushes and what-not. Remmy sounds like a pretty conscience hunter with some good experience shooting big game animals (including bear)... if he thinks it was a miss, and can't find any indication of a hit... I'm pretty sure he did all he can and it was a clean miss. Enough said on the issue. ~JT

Yah, I'd just like to say these aren't my first bear encounters or experiences with black bears. I've shot 4 of them before this year. I"m just having a run of really bad luck! I'll admit though, on the others, they weren't downhill 45-60 degrees, they were all straight across from me, makes it a lot easier...

I agree when you know a bears hit, anything for that matter. I know when I hit something, 99% of the time I can hear the resounding "whop" when it gets there. I heard none of these "whops" on any of these bears...I also agree that they do go crashing and making a lot of ruckus after they've been hit. I've only had 1 bear growl and bawl after he was shot though, and that was my big one thats on the wall, I shot him with the 300 RUM, glad I had the RUM for him and not the 25-06, ha ha. /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/crazy.gif All these bears vanished w/out a trace, almost like a ghost...There pretty smart animals though. There always right off the brushline, so you only get 1 shot. No chances for a quick 2nd shot, maybe with a semi auto, if you recover from the recoil in time. Every bear I missed was right on the edge of brush or trees, I barely got my bolt up and ejected the first case before they were gone... /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/frown.gif

Heck, the 3 bears I shot with my 25-06 knew they were hit, they didn't go to far either. I heard the whops on them all. I would expect the same coming from a 7 RM...There just wasn't any whops this time guys. As much as I wanted to hear them, I didn't...

Hey Eaglet, thats a pretty nice program you got there, what is it?? I like the graph comparisons...

Warning! This thread is more than 17 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.