I broke a die today 🤬

FireFlyFishing

Lately, I've been using a Redding body die to bump my shoulders and I then follow up with a Lee collet neck sizer for my brass prep. Works well…until this morning. I had the collet starting to stick. I disassembled the die, cleaned it, applied a little Imperial Sizing Wax on the collet for lube, and reassembled. Worked well for a couple of cases and then…POP. The top end blew out. Completely stripped. Maybe I'm stronger than I thought….

The good new, I was able to use the body of another caliber's die and finish my project.

I did contact Lee to see what their thoughts on the matter are.
IMG_4522.jpeg
Neck

Were you camming over with the Lee collet? I like the collet dies, but it can be difficult to set them up and get a consistent "feel" for neck tension. Too much cam and the top of the die pops out. I'm pretty sure this is meant to protect the collet from being damaged.

Were you camming over with the Lee collet? I like the collet dies, but it can be difficult to set them up and get a consistent "feel" for neck tension. Too much cam and the top of the die pops out. I'm pretty sure this is meant to protect the collet from being damaged.

Followed their directions on my Rock Chucker. Guess I gave it too much mustard?

Rock Chucker
If you are using the Collet die in an RCBS Rockchucker press, or a similar design that toggles over center at the top of the (ram) stroke, this applies far greater force than is necessary to resize just the neck of the case, and can damage the die or collapse the case. To correct this situation, adjust the die two full turns into the press after the die contacts the shell holder with the ram at the top of its stroke, rather than one as in the instructions. This will stop the press before it gets to the toggle over point. With a press without having an over center feature, apply about 25 lbs. of pressure to the handle once it bottoms out to resize the case. On most presses, this translates to over 600 Pounds of pressure on the ram. Lee Link

I tried the Lee collet neck die on my RCBS. Had to press down on the lever with 35 pounds, measured pressure. Sizing 243 win with it is to much exersize for a 79 year old.
Plus, accuracy did not improve over my bushing die.

If you are using the Collet die in an RCBS Rockchucker press, or a similar design that toggles over center at the top of the (ram) stroke, this applies far greater force than is necessary to resize just the neck of the case, and can damage the die or collapse the case. To correct this situation, adjust the die two full turns into the press after the die contacts the shell holder with the ram at the top of its stroke, rather than one as in the instructions. This will stop the press before it gets to the toggle over point. With a press without having an over center feature, apply about 25 lbs. of pressure to the handle once it bottoms out to resize the case. On most presses, this translates to over 600 Pounds of pressure on the ram. Lee Link

I tried the Lee collet neck die on my RCBS. Had to press down on the lever with 35 pounds, measured pressure. Sizing 243 win with it is to much exersize for a 79 year old.
Plus, accuracy did not improve over my bushing die.
I had it down a ways as to not cam. I think I just pushed too hard.

I've always used this guys method for setting up the die. Hope the link works

Interesting @crashlanding. He does his process counter to what Lee recommends. I go more the Lee route which is put the die down lower as @243winxb was explaining above. Then, you apply pressure. 25 Lbs is their instructions. You can feel the collet die change the shape of the neck.

Why do I like this die?
1. It's cheap.
2. Minimal or no runout!
3. When you have your body die and lee neck sizer jamming in concert, you have to trim your brass…not all that much. Meaning your brass isn't getting worked and lasts longer.

I never could figure out what 25 lbs felt like, I found this video and use it for two different cartridges that I neck size mostly and use the body die when needed. Using this method seems to me to be keeping things consistent easier. Not saying it's right 😂, just working for me

I never could figure out what 25 lbs felt like, I found this video and use it for two different cartridges that I neck size mostly and use the body die when needed. Using this method seems to me to be keeping things consistent easier. Not saying it's right 😂, just working for me
Fair enough. That's the issue with the die I think. You can Rambo the ram and pop…as I found out today. The gentleman's vid you showed today seems to tweak the die to be able to use the full stroke of a rock chucker.

Honestly, I'm good with Lee's method. I just learned the hard way today that there's a weak link with the die.

I think they should make the cap steel IMO.

I use Lee collet dies but never had the top aluminum cap bust. The aluminum cap is designed for expected forces but huge ram forces ^^^^^ can be exerted with compound lever presses such as my RCBS Rockchucker press.

When I get a new Lee collet die I disassemble it and polish the top of the steel collet with 400- 600 grit to remove any burrs caused by machining the slots that allow compression. I also polish the inner cone surfaces of the cylinder that compresses the collet. Upon completing sizing I disassemble the inner working & clean everything with Hornady One Shot cleaner & lube. Should the collet get stuck inside the steel compressing cylinder the the brass case will be squashed, like crumpled as the case neck will not slide between the compressed collet & mandrel.

The new steel mandrel/decap rod has been redesigned with stepped diameters allowing easy guiding into case mouths.

Lee stuff is generally well engineered, inexpensive & innovative but a little rough. I avoid Lee F/L dies because every one that I have uses does a massive small base type resize that is excessive for my bolt gun use.

Been using the LCD in several cartridges for many years. It requires very little press handle pressure to size the neck. Once you get the hang of it you can feel the neck being sized.